Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my wheels about 4 months ago but didnt get to ride on them till yesterday.

Ive always heard of CK hubs being one of the loudest. Mine dont make a drop of noise when free wheeling unless i get upto speed and pedal backwards as fast as i can. Did they change the hub design? Even on youtube you dont see a single video of a quiet hub.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'll echo that. With these hubs you must make sure that they are properly tightened fairly often. Tight tolerances require diligence. I have a few rear ISO hubs which sound different, each has their own personality. Bzzzzzzzzzzling.

·
DIY all the way
2,053 Posts
As the OP seems to be looking for a loud free-hub, could you do me a favor, and let me in on why a loud hub is so desirable?

I'm not trolling, this is an honest question, as I fail to see the point, but have seen loads of people request such a feature.

Magura :)

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
So beligerent hikers can't stand four abreast across the road and pretend no to hear you because 'you don't have a bell'.
Also, so my mates know when I'm about to crash into the back of them.
It's like a lazy man's way of screaming COMING THROUGH!!!

Also it's an irrational thing.
#PS, how is that carbon DH bike coming along Mr Magura?

·
DIY all the way
2,053 Posts
So beligerent hikers can't stand four abreast across the road and pretend no to hear you because 'you don't have a bell'.
Also, so my mates know when I'm about to crash into the back of them.
It's like a lazy man's way of screaming COMING THROUGH!!!

Also it's an irrational thing.
#PS, how is that carbon DH bike coming along Mr Magura?
Ahh, thanks for the explanation. :thumbsup:

It had me wondering, as my new freewheel is super loud, and is praised for being so. To me it's just noisy, but I love the 9 pawl 112 contact point system, so I put up with the noise.

The carbon DH bike is pushed a bit in the background due to work, but latest news would be that the front triangle passed the stress test, so it's still on.

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
As the OP seems to be looking for a loud free-hub, could you do me a favor, and let me in on why a loud hub is so desirable?

I'm not trolling, this is an honest question, as I fail to see the point, but have seen loads of people request such a feature.

The louder the hub, the more $$$. ;)

Personally I love my Hope Pro 2 hubs, easy to service, interchangeable to most axle and fork formats, plus they make a nice distinct noise maker sound on the trail. I don't think I'll ever make the switch to any other hub.

·
DIY all the way
2,053 Posts
The louder the hub, the more $$$. ;)

Personally I love my Hope Pro 2 hubs, easy to service, interchangeable to most axle and fork formats, plus they make a nice distinct noise maker sound on the trail. I don't think I'll ever make the switch to any other hub.
In that case, this new freewheel of mine, is one outstanding deal, 60£ and like 4 times as noisy :D

Echo SL 108

Sounds like an angry cat or something:p

I too have a set of Hope Pro 2 for my fully, and compared to the above, they are much nicer on the ears, like a quarter of the noise or so.

That the hub I mounted the freewheel on are made with 85mm flanges, 4 main bearings, and 14mm carbon axles, just makes matters worse. The sound makes the whole wheel / bike sing.
I simply didn't expect all that noise when I designed the hubs, but figured it would be like the Hope Pro 2 or the like.

Well, live and learn :madman:

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
because when you're an adult and make money for a living you can't just put a card in the spokes to get attention- those are free, so what is the attention for? :p

I can't figure out the appeal either, but man ck makes some beautiful hubs.

·
DIY all the way
2,053 Posts
because when you're an adult and make money for a living you can't just put a card in the spokes to get attention- those are free, so what is the attention for? :p

I can't figure out the appeal either, but man ck makes some beautiful hubs.
:D Obviously not too far off.

The good news is that CK hubs are now less noisy, so it seems the development works to our advantage.

It seems like we are not the only ones, whom got enough of the "card in the spokes" trick as kids :p

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
I have a set of newer CK wheels and really like the fact that they aren't very noisy. I can hear them when going slow but once I'm bombing down a trail, it's just the wind and a little bit of chain clank, but with my Stinger, even that's at a minimum.

·
Registered
841 Posts
could you do me a favor, and let me in on why a loud hub is so desirable?

1. It's a good conversation-starter if you have nothing else to talk about, especially when someone owns CK or Hope hubs and can't figure out what I've got (Ringle on the hard tail and Hadley on the AM).
2. It's handy when someone keeps jumping ahead of you when you re-group and slows you down. Sit on their tail and freewheel - the louder the hub, the faster they get the message and stop jumping ahead of you.

·
Registered
406 Posts

I like loud hubs. For me it started years back when cassette hubs started coming into the BMX scene. I loved my bike more when I got my profile cassette hub on the back. I want good hubs on my mountain bike now and they will probably be loud hubs. It basically lets people know you spent money on your bike and it isnt stock. That you run good parts. Basically showing off without having to say anthing ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.