Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all and sorry if I mistake in my english.
I would like to know about Maverick as a company if it's what you call a small high end company and a little info about the matic and the ml.
I have a eye on the Maverick and in my contry we almost don't see them.
thanks alot for any of you.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Maverick, from the consumers standpoint is top notch. Their customer service is some of the best in the industry. Their products speak for themselves. I have used their products for several years now and am pleased with their performance, longevity, tuneability and ease of serviceability. I rode a ML8 for a couple years and got rid of it just cause I am a poor student and needed some cash quick. The bike rode well and the suspension was to my liking. Living in phoenix, I have definitely regretted it at times, as the one speed hard tail can get a little rugged at times. Their forks are awesome, I have been using them(sc and duc) for several years and they are probably the best bike related product I have used extensively since I started mtbing. As for the matic and durance, I think they are both excellent products and would not hesitate acquiring one if I were in the market for a new xc squisy bike. From a reliability standpoint, the rear suspension on all their bikes are very simple to work on and set up. Just make sure you ride with an air shock pump and you'll be all set.
good luck

·
Whatever
585 Posts
Get the Durance or Matic if you can

I spent 2 1/2 years on a ML7 and loved it. Then upgraded to the ML 7/5 (the same as the Durance now). It is much nicer. It's lighter, stiffer, and more travel... yet it climbs technical stuff better. And still feels the same on flats and non-technical climbs. All in all, a great "do everything" bike.

And yes, their customer service sets the standard for the entire cycling industry.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I enjoy working with them...

They have been a great company to work with. They have always been on top of things that need attention. When you call them the person is the same one you talked to last week. I makes it so nice to go back and talk to the same person without repeating yourself.

Their bikes are different! One off on most of their design.... but it works well!!!

One of the guys who works in our shop had a SC Nomad, rode an ML8 and sold his Nomad the next week on EBAY for one.

I like dealing with them.

·
Schipperkes are cool.
4,170 Posts
MINImtnbiker said:
the ML 7/5 (the same as the Durance now).
The Matic is the same as the ML7.5; 5" front for 5" rear.
The Durance is a 5" rear that is designed for a 6"+ fork.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I was shocked though when in Australian MTB mag. while talking about the nomad (it got 7/10) They said that if it had a good fork, not the crap and flexy Maverick it would of scored a perfect 10 out of 10.

·
Whatever
585 Posts
banks said:
The Matic is the same as the ML7.5; 5" front for 5" rear.
The Durance is a 5" rear that is designed for a 6"+ fork.
Wasn't the ML7.5 designed for the DUC32 6" fork? I have never seen people on a ML7.5 with anything but a DUC32.
And the ML7.3 for their SC32 5" fork, but it can take the 6".

·
Registered
350 Posts
Wasn't the ML7.5 designed for the DUC32 6" fork? I have never seen people on a ML7.5 with anything but a DUC32.
And the ML7.3 for their SC32 5" fork, but it can take the 6".

I dont know about the design intent...I have tried both DUC and SC on the 7.5 ...both work great, just makes for a slightly different handling bike. You takes your pick!

·
Registered
161 Posts
tom2304 said:
I was shocked though when in Australian MTB mag. while talking about the nomad (it got 7/10) They said that if it had a good fork, not the crap and flexy Maverick it would of scored a perfect 10 out of 10.
They are true. I tried both SUC and DUC fork standing in front of the bike fixing fork between my knees while turning the bar and I must say that I have never tested so flexy forks. But I dont know if this kind of test has anything in common with the ride itself. Maverick web says no, but I am not so sure and that is why I have Fox fork on my bike.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm sure you'll hear more, but by twisting you weren't simulating anything realistic on a trail. I think the stiffness of the SC & DUC is longitundinal (ie, fore-aft) and lateral. The DUC, especially, with a direct mount stem is as stiff, direct, and responsive as you'll find, especially at < 4 lbs (which is significant).

·
Schipperkes are cool.
4,170 Posts
monolink said:
They are true. I tried both SUC and DUC fork standing in front of the bike fixing fork between my knees while turning the bar and I must say that I have never tested so flexy forks. But I dont know if this kind of test has anything in common with the ride itself. Maverick web says no
Maverick is right.

Flexing the fork while you are holding the wheel in between your knees is not a "bicycle riding situation".

I have 4 seasons on my SC and do not see any of that movement.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,517 Posts
monolink said:
They are true. I tried both SUC and DUC fork standing in front of the bike fixing fork between my knees while turning the bar and I must say that I have never tested so flexy forks. But I dont know if this kind of test has anything in common with the ride itself. Maverick web says no, but I am not so sure and that is why I have Fox fork on my bike.
The lateral stiffness (that you can test by trying to flex the fork left and right) has EVERYTHING to do with off-camber hits while riding. Anything that you hit that is off-center (at an angle) will cause the fork to flex and bind to some extent. If the fork is very flexy like a SUC32, then it will do that to a high degree. You can also see the wheel pulled left by the disc brake usually on such a fork. The only variable is the stiffness of the wheel, so you may be getting some wheel flex as well.

If all bumps were perpendicular to your bikes forward direction, then this would not be an issue.

·
Registered
583 Posts
@ jayem

umm ... do you mean lateral or torsional stiffness?

the "wheel between the knees and turning the handle bar" test does of course show the torsional (rotational) stiffness.

ragetty

·
Registered
79 Posts
They're a small company, and they have the personal touch.

In my experience they don't necessarily respond to correspondance, or reply. I've contacted them a few times about various issues, and sometimes had answers and sometimes been dropped in the middle of a conversation. Don't know why.

I've got a ML7 and two Duc32s, the Ducs are light but feel a little flexy. Can't quantify it. The ML7 is like a heavy hardtail, good if the ground isn't too technical.

Just my 2c....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.