Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
C-Hog
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 180mm cranks on my Fisher 29er hardtail. Will be purchasing a new cross bike next week. Never had anything other than mtn bikes in 15+ years of cycling. The cross bike comes with 175mm cranks. Will I have problems switching back and forth between the two different length cranks?

Note: The cross bike is going to double as a road bike. So I probably don't have the option of simply installing 180mm XT or XTR cranks on the cross bike. I've been looking for 180mm road cranks, but all I can find in 180's is Dura-Ace... a little pricey for me.

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate the suggestions and expertise of those of you on this forum.

·
No Reputation!
1,720 Posts
You will not have a problem

In fact, when I spent the big bucks to switch my 172.5mm cranks for 180 cranks (dura ace mind you) on my TT bike I felt like a dork because when you hold the cranks at arms length away you can't see the difference. You can feel it....sort of...I guess...but switching back and forth will be no problem. FWIW, I run 180's on my SS and TT rig, 175's on the road bike, fixie, cross, & geared mtb but I wouldn't spend money to switch 5mm in length again. At least not crank length. At least not on my bicycle.

·
Registered
236 Posts
C-Hog said:
Will I have problems switching back and forth between the two different length cranks?

I had used nothing but 180's for the last 7 years, on the road and off road. This winter I put 175's on my cross bike which also does duty as my training bike. I am still recovering from tendonitis and I.T. issues. Do I still use 175's? Yes, but it took many hours of stretching, using a foam roller, and re-adjusting my position. I attribute the tendonitis to a few things, the change of crank length, my chronic lack of stretching, and high miles in winter weather.

If you do stick with the 175's give your legs time to get used to the new length and stretch stretch stretch.

Your other option would be to just throw on a pair of 180 mtb cranks, doing this you'll also get the 46/36 option, good for cross.

e

ps: Sorry off topic, but has any other user out there had problems with safari and posting on this board? Just figured out the old explorer works I'm back.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
5-arm 110/74mm MTB cranks indeed could do both mtb and road duty. I have a bag fll of 48t rings, just one 36h unfortunately. 53/13 sufficed for road racing till Merckx hit the scene. I figure 48/11 for mere mortals should suffice, too. Unless you hate spinning out over 50mph. I believe RaceFace still offers nice 5-arm cranks. Soecialites TA offers the rings. A friend of mine runs 40/48 rings on his cross bike. He uses the 40t for racing, and the 48t for road training.

·
Cassoulet forever !
2,260 Posts
i use 195mm cranks.
And 170mm on my commuter bike ! You can tell the difference ! I would say that the longuer you ride, the better you will be with short cranks and high rpm.
I like a ot py 195mm, but now that i'm going away from the mountains, i may sell them to build myself some custom 190mm.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I am very close to ordering a Lenz Revelation frame and thinking hard about a set of 210mm Zinn cranks to go with it.

I run 180mm on my other bikes and they always seem to short.

P::.. (40in inside leg, 21" Femur)

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Euhm, a 26" bike? Negative BB drop to match the cranks?
210mm would be cool. Do take the tips on the link above, adjust to them carefully.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I knew if I said Revelation and not Leviathan I would connfuse people!

I was enquiring about a Leviathan but as a singlespeeder I like the idea of the concentic pivot on all other Lenz models.

The leviathan does not have this as the rear wheel would fowl the seatpin and Mikesee didn't want the chainstays any longer. But.. as I want an XXL frame this apartently is not an issue and a 29er Revelation can be made (maybe a slightly longer chainstay and a steeper seat tube angle).

Lennard Zinn is getting a bike made by Devin Lenz and because of this relationship I can get some Zinn cranks with the frame. This would mean the length would be taken into concideration when building.

P::..

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Longer cranks are a good way to improve ground clearance as well. So you plan to ride it SS? Should be something unique...

·
Registered
650 Posts
I am more keen on the flexability to run it singlespeed or geared.

I will probably build it up with a geared groupset. This will be my first geared bike in years.

Possibly with modified Maverick DUC forks (Did want RS Reba but Mavericks are lighter)

P::..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts