Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the major diff between these to platinum internally and externally butted frames? And what does that all mean?(Rig) Platinum Series SS internally and externally butted aluminum w/ eccentric bottom bracket and (X-Cal) Platinum Series ZR9000 internally and externally butted aluminum. Do you guys all agree that mech is better than hydro disc brakes?

·
dirty hippy mountainbiker
1,146 Posts
I don't know. But have you seen them? They're thin in the middle and thick on the ends. Just like butted spokes. Funky looking. Maybe externally butted means it is thicker on the outside too. if it's just butted you can't tell unless you're inside the tube.

-M

·
luckiest of the unlucky
478 Posts
Rig frame=xcal frame=paragon frame. Butting is varying the thickness of the tubes. Look at Trek and GF frames, the tubes get skinny in places and fat in others. That's butting. The Platinum series ZR-etc. aluminum is a fancy name they've come up with for the alloy they use for the frame.
As for the EBB, I'm still in the dark as to what the hell that means. :eek:

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
JoelM said:
As for the EBB, I'm still in the dark as to what the hell that means. :eek:
EBB = eccentric bottom bracket. Basically a larger BB shell with a rotating insert drilled off center for your standard BB. By rotating the insert you can adjust chain tension, eliminating the need for a chain tensioning device in singlespeeds, or, in my case, a Rohloff...

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
Rig != XCal ...

RobW said:
EBB = eccentric bottom bracket. Basically a larger BB shell with a rotating insert drilled off center for your standard BB. By rotating the insert you can adjust chain tension, eliminating the need for a chain tensioning device in singlespeeds, or, in my case, a Rohloff...
The eccentric bottom bracket means the Rig frame is not the same as the X-Caliber or the Paragon.

In fact, the Rig is just plain "not available" right now to many Trek dealers with the X-Cal and Paragon are. I suspect they're having troubles producing the EBB frame.

·
assenting member
78 Posts
willtsmith_nwi said:
In fact, the Rig is just plain "not available" right now to many Trek dealers with the X-Cal and Paragon are. I suspect they're having troubles producing the EBB frame.
Hmm, if we are tossing suspicions around... I suspect they are having trouble keeping up with demand.

·
Who turned out the lights
1,127 Posts
As JoelM stated, butting is simply making the tubing thicker (stronger) where it's needed (usually on the ends). Internally butted means that the outer diameter of the tube stays that same, while the internal diameter changes (which is what we typically see). Externally butted means that the internal diameter of the tubing remains constant, while the outer diameter changes. I would say that the biggest difference between the two is superficial, but they will have (slightly) different structural/ride properties. Internally and externally butted basically means that GF has attempted to maximize their strength gains and their weight losses all in one frame.

I would imagine that Platinum Seriess (SS) and Platinum Series (Xcal) are pretty close to the same allow (if not exactly the same). It is simply a proprietary tubing spec just for GF based on a ZR9000 aluminum alloy.

I think mech vs. hydro is a personal thing. I like my mechanicals, because they stop me just fine, and are really easy to set up and maintain (no oil, no bleeding, etc.), but it's really a personal preference. Each type has its advantages and disadvantages.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.