Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Looks promising - a fat unicycle :)

Now over to the other link to find out how it was done...

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
dirtydoug said:
suggested to post this here so I will. especially since this site has been a great resource
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=691236
View attachment 601914
I rode with Doug Tuesday night in Lyons. He was on his fat Turner and just attacking everything in the Rock Garden at Hall Ranch. The new rear end is very clean, looks factory. I did not get any bike specific pics. Will add a few action shots later.

Doug did use my suggestion from the megathread about Profile cranks. The long spindle and spacers works great and he said it is noticeable stiffer than any other crank he has used.

·
Registered
584 Posts
bighit: I already spoke with Matt at Samsara and he is willing to work on it. I may have local options as well. I just finished up my first Fat project today(thread to come soon), so I need to start saving again for this one.

-Nolan

·
4.0" fully suspended
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nolan17 said:
dirtydoug: What size BB does your Profile crank have, 83 or 100mm? Also what size chainring are you running?

Thanks

-Nolan
Their website although pretty good doesn't have all the details. Might be worth calling them but they are bmxers at heart so be aware of that when you call.
The sultan has a 73mm bb. I opted for the 94/58 bcd spider.

I am running a 30 chain ring (pro of 94 bcd) and added on a 9 spd HG61, heavy but gets you a 36 cog. 30 x 36 seems to be good gear in steeper grade snow. Noticeably better than 32 X34.

There is also a spiderless option although cool, it seems they only make chainrings as small as 36T. When talking to profile on the phone they gave me the impression that if I wanted to dial in my chainline this is the one to get.
I am glad I went with the spider option as it is also very easy to dial in the chainline any where from (48-70mm IIRC) just need 3/4" spacers.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
dirtydoug said:
Their website although pretty good doesn't have all the details. Might be worth calling them but they are bmxers at heart so be aware of that when you call.
The sultan has a 73mm bb. I opted for the 94/58 bcd spider.

I am running a 30 chain ring (pro of 94 bcd) and added on a 9 spd HG61, heavy but gets you a 36 cog. 30 x 36 seems to be good gear in steeper grade snow. Noticeably better than 32 X34.

There is also a spiderless option although cool, it seems they only make chainrings as small as 36T. When talking to profile on the phone they gave me the impression that if I wanted to dial in my chainline this is the one to get.
I am glad I went with the spider option as it is also very easy to dial in the chainline any where from (48-70mm IIRC) just need 3/4" spacers.
You can get chainwheels (spiderless) down to 23T. I have a 25T on one bike.

Doug forgot to mention the spindle he has is for a 100mm BB shell, with the extra spacers.

·
4.0" fully suspended
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
shiggy said:
I.

Doug did use my suggestion from the megathread about Profile cranks. The long spindle and spacers works great and he said it is noticeable stiffer than any other crank he has used.
quality, stiff, and smooth. got the upgraded bb with enduro seals and spins nicely. It has taken some abuse because it takes some getting use to having cranks way out there.
Scores points for adaptability, just buy another spindle (tempted by the ti to lighten) and throw it on the singlespeed. They look good and made in the USA too.

·
4.0" fully suspended
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
shiggy said:
You can get chainwheels (spiderless) down to 23T. I have a 25T on one bike.

Doug forgot to mention the spindle he has is for a 100mm BB shell, with the extra spacers.
cool didn't know that but suspected it cause they had trials stuff.
Yes you want the 6 7/8" spindle, I think they said they have it in ti (new not on site) but pricey.

·
Registered
584 Posts
dirtdoug, shiggy: Thank you. That was what I was thinking 73mm BB with the 100mm spindle as well as the 94/58 spider. I was looking at a 28 tooth sprocket with the 36 tooth rear cassette. Just add spacers as needed.

I was thinking of a way I could keep my Hammerschmidt on the WFO. Is there a way I could extend out the BB to 83mm and still have good chainline? Can't think of one myself without major fabrication being done.

Also I would like to keep the 150mm Maxle on the rear, would chainline be a factor again? I was thinking of taking out the smallest 3 cogs of a 990 cassete and put spacers on the inside of the freehub body. This could inprove the chainline a little. I had bought an individual 36t sprocket off ebay to add to this cassette to have 7 gears in the back. Running this setup now and it works nice.

Any ideas welcomed!

Nolan

·
4.0" fully suspended
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I briefly thought of an isis 128 mm bb and 150mm axle but realized that would just make it way too tight. you'll need to take some measurements. I imagine the stays on the WFO are beefy and the hammerschimdt arms will strike.
The profiles seem to give the greatest clearance and you'll need this.

·
4.0" fully suspended
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
update pics conversion process takes about two hours while drinking beer. Deraileur requires no adjustment in between configs, how about that. Snowbike mode was a blast but looking forward to some high alpine riding in the dirts and rocks!
Cable Electrical wiring Wire Electrical supply Composite material

Machine Aluminium Steel Metal Engineering

Composite material Metal Box Steel Aluminium

Composite material Metal Steel Plumbing fixture Household hardware

Tool Machine Steel Power tool

Electrical wiring Machine Cable Plastic Wire

Banner Advertising Steel

Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle drivetrain part Steel Aluminium

Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle frame

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.