Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
bikes are people too
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The reason I am calling this creaking abnormal is because through all the years I've been mountain biking, I've been able to identify the source of creaking pretty easily, but not so with this.

I'm riding an '05 Tassajara, and I'm using it mostly for commuting right now.. half because I can't afford for something to go wrong with it, and half because I don't want to ruin all my local trails. Anyway, I am pretty sure the the creaking is coming from the crank/BB area of the bike, but the thing that is weird about it is that it only creaks once every 2 or 3 minutes. If I'm not mashing the pedals, it's fine.. but if I am grunting up a hill, it is completely silent 99% of the time, then out of nowhere they will be one loud CREAK, then it will go away for another couple minutes.

I'm 5'7", 165 lbs., and the BB was replaced about 4 months ago and it hasn't seen any terrible conditions.. if there's any other information I can provide to help map out a solution here, let me know.

cheers,

Jake

·
Registered
51 Posts
My bike creaks more in cold weather, and also when I am on the road I can hear a lot more of its noises than on the trail. Maybe not applicable to your once every 2 minute noise.

·
Drinker w/ Riding Problem
5,326 Posts
could be loose crank arm bolts, check to see if the is any lateral wobble in the arms...
another thing to try is remove the crank arms clean and grease , see if that fixes the noise problem, what kind of bottom bracket? square taper or Isis?

i had a problem with my isis raceface cranks coming loose all the time...never had an issue with the square taperloc

·
bikes are people too
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
not sure brado, but I'll be sure to check it out when i get home from work tonight.. went to a performance store up in Tysons and bought myself some grease, a BB tool and some new alan wrenches, I'll be sure to be causing all sorts of trouble come 6pm.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

·
Mmmm Rocks Good
645 Posts
Try stressing various parts of the frame to insure you don't have a cracked frame. I had a similar experience w/a Paragon years ago. I'd be pedaling along nice and quiet and all of a sudden I would hear a loud creak or crack. Turned out to be my seat tube seperating from my top tube. Hope that's not your case though. Good luck.

·
bikes are people too
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks.. I'll be sure to give that a check when I get home.

·
Drinker w/ Riding Problem
5,326 Posts
dip n ride said:
Thanks.. I'll be sure to give that a check when I get home.
another area prone to creaking is the Seat post, on my Tassajara i had several times thought i had something going on in the BB area, but what i was hearing was actually the seatpost clamp... remove your seatpost and slap some grease on the lip of the collar and replace. i use boat trailer axel grease. works good. good luck.

·
bikes are people too
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
I would take the BB off and clean it up, re-grease and re-install.....look for cracks everywhere
I'm thinking that's probably what i am going to do anyway, I'm just afraid that it won't end up being the BB, the creaking doesn't sound consistent enough... but you're right, better check for cracks even though i'm gonna be pissed if that's the case.

·
bikes are people too
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well thanks for your help everybody, still not exactly sure what it was, but I pulled the cranks, cleaned off the BB cups, re-greased the splines, re-greased the BB bolts, tightened the chainring bolts, loosened/greased/tightened everything attached to the handlebar, and somewhere along the way the big creaking stopped.

I guess now it's time to address all the really small, less audible creaking on other parts of the bike, ha.

·
Registered
11,774 Posts
Before pulling the BB..check

the QRs, Stem-steertube, headset bearings, and pedals. i had a creak that was driving me nuts. I thought it was the BB but through the process of elimination it turned out to be the stinking headset bearings.

It also doesnt hurt to get a 2nd opinion from the LBS.

·
bikes are people too
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Funny you would mention it, there was another awful, annoying little creak when I would turn my wheel, turned out to be the cable housing at the connection point for my rear shifter... loosened it up, greased it, put it back together then it was fine.

My headset is okay.. I will check all the QR when I get home though.. it's been a while since I took my wheels off, it might even be them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.