Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,787 Posts
can't say what I want to say, since this is the e-bike forum, but I've said enuf here buh-bye

Reactions: LyNx

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
You mean a rider sponsored by a company is hyping up their $7.5k bike. Gasp.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
I love all the usual suspects around here who show up to dis eMTBs. Ten years from now you will all look pretty stupid, just like the XC riders in the early 90's who refused to use suspension forks (He's sponsored by Manitou, what do you expect him to say!?), the XC riders 10 years ago who refused to use rear suspension (the weight! the weight!), and the road riders today who still refuse to use disk brakes (they are dangerous because they work too well!)

Even with your narrow minds, why would you believe that an enduro/DH rider wouldn't benefit from being able to ride an eMTB when they feel like they want a recovery day? Did you even watch the video?

And do you really think Intense, Pivot, Commencal, Specialized, Trek, Cannondale, Kona, Giant, Rocky Mountain, and all the other eMTB manufacturers who also make the world's best MTBs are really just selling out and making eBikes for no reason other than a quick buck? Really?

·
Cat Herder
4,700 Posts
And do you really think Intense, Pivot, Commencal, Specialized, Trek, Cannondale, Kona, Giant, Rocky Mountain, and all the other eMTB manufacturers who also make the world's best MTBs are really just selling out and making eBikes for no reason other than a quick buck? Really?
No. Their selling e-bikes at cost because they don't care about the money.

·
E-Moderator
1,007 Posts
I live in Murrieta, CA and see Gwin a lot. His truck has the Tazer often in it, and I’ve seen him on the trails with it, yes he believes in ebikes.

For any pro who constantly has to do training, an ebike makes perfect sense. If your a pro and your sponsor has an ebike do you for a recovery ride A) choose a road bike & flat boring ride or B) ebike & choose whatever mode you need and ride the mountains. I’d chose B every single time!

My local bike shop Jaxs, the manager is awesome and has a Tazer as well. Went to ride our local trails and Gwin was there with several other friends on Tazers. Asked if he could join and Gwin said yes of course. He said it was one of the hardest cardio workout rides he’s done in while. Came back hurting from the pace they set.

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
Gravity pros (including, sort of, myself, back in the day) have a long tradition of cross training on motos. But motos can be a PITA these days - not many trails left open in many places, you've gotta trailer them around, store them, etc.

An e-bike is a great alternative for a fit/fast pro, since you can keep it going "bike handing" speed on moderate climbs (ie, getting some braking/cornering practice in while going up) and do more laps/not get as fatigued. Arguably the perfect tool to train for enduro or DH.

-Walt

·
Registered
849 Posts
Gravity pros (including, sort of, myself, back in the day) have a long tradition of cross training on motos. But motos can be a PITA these days - not many trails left open in many places, you've gotta trailer them around, store them, etc.

An e-bike is a great alternative for a fit/fast pro, since you can keep it going "bike handing" speed on moderate climbs (ie, getting some braking/cornering practice in while going up) and do more laps/not get as fatigued. Arguably the perfect tool to train for enduro or DH.

-Walt
Gasp! How dare you suggest there's any other way to get a workout than pedaling a bicycle up a hill! The horror! And moto?!? Those guys are even fatter and lazier than e-bike riders. ;)

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,787 Posts
And moto?!? Those guys are even fatter and lazier than e-bike riders. ;)
uhh ...no

there is a clear difference in training on a moto vs any e-bike

1) the overall speed. train on moto, bicycle speeds become snoozefest, your reaction time improves on a moto

2) wrestling the weight and dynamics of a ~215lb dirt bike, you get ripped arms, core, legs. if you are doing it correctly

e-bike cannot be anywhere near as good a training tool as a 200lb dirt bike. IMHO

and no you can't be a jellyfish on a moto... crashing on those gets old quick, and if you are out of shape you won't be hitting very challenging trails on one. kidney belts mandatory

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.