Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you were. Pics of the build, submitted for your approval. Setup is not final, and I have not had a test ride yet. Got it done just before the snow, and now it's raining. Sheesh.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
aosty said:
...hub! ;)

Did you also spec (slightly) smaller than stock chainstays?
Nope. What I got in the way of tubing is the stock setup. I'm 5'11", with pretty much average proportions, so the stock large made sense.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
20.100 FR said:
you use a 26sized front ring for a rolholf on a 29er ????
The bike that donated the hub came that way. You'll need to talk to Edwin for the rationale. All I know is "It works", and I like it.

·
Where's Toto?
1,188 Posts
Date man...we need the date???

Cardinal rule....when posting any new Dean pics, we need to know the date ordered and the date received. I ordered mine on 14 February and I'm WAITING PATIENTLY. Last week they said it should ship this week.

Anyway, all that said --- it looks like it was well worth the wait. Sweet!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
endure26 said:
Cardinal rule....when posting any new Dean pics, we need to know the date ordered and the date received. I ordered mine on 14 February and I'm WAITING PATIENTLY. Last week they said it should ship this week.

Anyway, all that said --- it looks like it was well worth the wait. Sweet!
Yeah, yeah, sorry. I ordered it up on January 10th, and got it about two weeks ago. The exact delivery date is posted on that win a tire thread, I don't remember it right now (just looked it up - April 13th). You know what though? Waiting for the dang thing really stung, but doesn't hurt a bit now. Hope that helps, if only a little.

·
Where's Toto?
1,188 Posts
I know...I know. Every time I see a new one posted it stings a little more. Hoping Dean has their schedule right this time and that it will ship this week. Luckily it's been rainy and I've had quite a bit of work to do. All bets are off though when the bike gets here. Once it's built up I'm taking some time off and riding.

·
Negative Rep Points!!!!
4,211 Posts
Very, very nice, Rob. So what will become of the Buzz Bomb?

BTW, I'll be in AA the last week of July...let's ride.

Highland, Poto?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Aquaholic said:
Very, very nice, Rob. So what will become of the Buzz Bomb?

BTW, I'll be in AA the last week of July...let's ride.

Highland, Poto?
Steve! How are ya? You got it, let's ride. Highland and Poto, if you got time. The Buzz Bomb is getting a set of gears grafted on, and will be a park bike / loaner. Funky bars, Paul's thumbies, whatnot. Stay tuned, I'll post pics when it's done. We should plan a ride followed by beer and BBQ. Just bought a new house minutes from Pontiac Lake and Highland, maybe 40 minutes to Poto. I should have the grill ready to go by July.

·
Occasionally engaged…
1,774 Posts
RobW said:
Setup is not final, and I have not had a test ride yet. Got it done just before the snow, and now it's raining. Sheesh.
So what's stopping you? I understand not wanting to damage the trails, but the Rohloff won't mind a little snow, rain, or mud. Nice bike.

I took my Rohloff equipped bike to Fruita and Moab this past weekend and boy did it shine. It was by far the most extensive test I've done with the hub and it worked flawlessly. I had it set up with a 34x16 (against Rohloff's rules for gearing) with the gear inches going from 17 through to 90. I was happy to have the 17 inches a time or two (e.g. - the short but insanely steep climb up the first part of the Moab Rim Trail) and I never spun out with 90 inches on the high end.

·
climb
2,293 Posts
PeT,

When are you going to post the Rohloff report. You've had enough miles on it that you should be able to give a pretty good summary. Maybe post in this thread--

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=95409

Or create a new one :)... I'm interested because I think it would be a great summer set up for my SS.

·
Squalor
1,573 Posts
OK - See if I've got this right...

I have been looking into these Rohloff Speedhubs and there is a lot of options, so see if I have got the details on your setup right RobW...

OEM2 Speedhub using the external shiftbox and a Speedbone to take care of torque duties with the frame using an EBB to take care of chain tension all while running disc brakes...

Now for the real test...This is different from Pet's setup in that he is using...

OEM2 Speedhub using internal shifting and the axle plate bolted directly to the unused disc mount to take care of torque duties with the frame using an EBB to take care of chain tension all while running v-brakes....

Is that all right...if not please correct me...I am really trying to get the facts straight on these hubs.

Someone please give a ride report!

LP

·
Occasionally engaged…
1,774 Posts
Mostly right...

lanpope said:
Now for the real test...This is different from Pet's setup in that he is using...

OEM2 Speedhub using internal shifting and the axle plate bolted directly to the unused disc mount to take care of torque duties with the frame using an EBB to take care of chain tension all while running v-brakes....

Perhaps this is what you meant, but the OEM2 axle plate just has a U-shaped attchment nestled in against a bolt that is in the unused disc mount -- you line it up as you install the wheel. It's very simple and clean.

I will post an extensive review of my bike in a new thread. I've got enough miles on it to do it justice.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lanpope said:
I have been looking into these Rohloff Speedhubs and there is a lot of options, so see if I have got the details on your setup right RobW...

OEM2 Speedhub using the external shiftbox and a Speedbone to take care of torque duties with the frame using an EBB to take care of chain tension all while running disc brakes...

Is that all right...if not please correct me...I am really trying to get the facts straight on these hubs.

LP
You nailed my setup. I acquired my speedhub when I ebayed a Buzz Bomb a few years ago, and all that was needed to make it work on this bike was a speedbone and a new axle plate (very easy to swap). I still have the Buzz Bomb, and am in the process of hanging derailleurs on it. I can, however, switch the Speedhub back and forth at will with just a cable change, and the Dean is capable of SS or gearie duties as well as carrying the Speedhub.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
InfXXIV40-60 said:
When you order an eccentric bottom bracket frame from dean, do you have to supply the ebb yourself or does it come with one? (Sorry if this is a nebish question.)
AG
I didn't know til I ordered mine, but it comes with it. You do need to decide which type EBB you want to use though. There are three types that I know of, the Bushnell expanding type which is what I'm using, a pinchbolt style, where the bb shell is split, and a pair of bolts pulls the shell tight around the EBB, and a setscrew type.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.