Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, this pm i took me and my (rigid) ss out for a pre-race training (i'm doing the 30k harrisburg-ancaster enduro tomorrow) and i was on my way home from the trailhead on the city's paved bike path, when i took a usual shortcut (that i have no trouble doing on a road bike) and suddenly found myself face down with my bike virtually in three pieces and headset bits rolling around me. it was then that some guy passed and asked if i had all the tools i needed to fix it. i looked around i saw very quickly that the problem was beyond tools, and that my fork had failed. it was a Soul Cycles suspension-corrected large diameter AL contraption and it was cracked all the way through just at the bottom of the steerer tube (on a tiny impact that is always a non-issue). the bad news is that i bought the whole bike second-hand, so it isn't warrantied, even though the guy i bought it from had never installed the fork. the good news is that i had my Trek ready for the race (i was going to loan it to a buddy who dropped out at the last minute) so i won't really miss anything, but i'm still pissed off. I'm assuming it must have got damaged while i was bombing down some rooty trail and then just failed when i hit the edge of the path. :mad: :(

·
being is
286 Posts
Aluminum - AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Aluminum eventually cracks if put through enough fatigue cycles. I wouldn't want to trust my teeth to an aluminum fork. Even steel forks snap but I don't expect my surly fork to crack anytime soon.

I couldn't ride an aluminum fork around knowing that it was just a matter of time before it separated from my bike. Nuts!

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Ouch!

Equipment failures suck, hope you're O.K. I was reading a bit about some of the custom builders and 2 of there opinion were that aluminum forks were just failures waiting to happen. Must be the welds because all suspension forks I'm aware of have alu stantions and failures arent common. My policy has allways been that a little weight placed in strength is excellent dental and orthopedic insurence :D

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bad weekend became good weekend...

when i got an email from Soul saying they'll replace it no charge, even though it isnt warrantied. and i'm actually glad i left the ss at home for that race... there were of course a couple of ssers, but i din't envy them. i went from spending long stretches in the granniest gear to long ones in the highest, and i don't think i would have enjoyed trying to ss it. so all is well in the end. major props to Soul Cycles for this, BTW

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.