Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on the verge of getting an A9C but I am wondering how tought the frame is really. It would be my main summer trail and race bike but I dont want something that can't take the odd knock.
I know carbon doesn't like rock strikes but neither do metal tubes, its more just general trail conditions, like stone chips etc? And does the paint stay on the frames or does it chip really bad like my EMD?!!

Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
92 Posts
After destroying an A9 scandium, I upgraded to the A9C. I've had it for over six months and have had many wrecks. There are a couple of very small chips where the chain has slapped the chainstay (where the chain protector doesn't cover). Otherwise, it is holding up very well. No regrets.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Im a 250# rider almost every ride is on a rigid ss mosty alum. and sometimes steel.Ive broke plenty of alum. frames and a couple of steel frames just from putting the power down, and riding xc style trails.Ive had 2 carbon frames. Gaint xtc and a ebay noname frame neither broke under me.Most frames snap in 12 mons. or so. Anyway I test rode an Air carbon 9 the other day, was a real eye opener of how fast a stiff frame can take off like a rocket when you step on the pedels.Very snappy bike and the ride was dampend better than steel.Alway sort of worry about carbon but Ive never broke carbon bits and as much as I enjoy riding bikes, I want to ride an major improvement. Other words,yes the ride of this thing makes me forget its a 2000 dollar plastic bike.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It's stiff compliant and durable so far. I as well have cracked steel and aluminum frames about 10 frames in 20 years
So I feel carbon will hold up very well and since it is layers fibers it won't fail catastophicly.
SS RICH

1 - 6 of 6 Posts