Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put this up in Passion and Bikerag (spammer), but figured I'd waste some more electrons here in the CT board as well.

Another year in the books. I spent some serious time on my bike this year, probably the most saddle time I've ever had. Over the summer I was up to 4 or 5 rides per week. As with every year, I put together a retrospective of some of the better pictures - looking at these myself it's really hard to separate the "good pictures" from the "good memories", I'm sure some of these aren't up to par.

I put the pictures mostly in chronological order, though there appears to be some significant gaps in there. I remember times during the year where the pictures seemed to get redundant, which is why NE is such a great place to ride - if you don't like the conditions or scenery, wait a few hours, weeks or months. I try to be cognizant of the ride flow on group rides, so a lot of what I captured was solo rides (i.e. a lot of pics of me!).

I started off the year with a New Year's Day ride in the snow.

My wife continued her pursuit of bikedness and got to the point where besides gaining significant skill, is becoming pretty passionate about the sport. A quote from her heard sometime this summer "I used to ride because you liked it, now I ride because I like it":

I had to go to Melbourne Australia for work, while I was there I got in a ride or two - one was even in the woods, the highlight of which was seeing a kangaroo in the wild (sorry no pics of the 'roo).

Singletrack in Melbourne

Back in the good ole US of A

Feeling inspired during a birthday ride I put together a photo essay, https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=381099&highlight=leave+good+tracks re-reading it almost a year forward, it still rings true (to me anyway)

More winter riding.

I had the opportunity to demo a Ted W 29er - nice bike. I thoroughly enjoyed our week together. If I could buy 2 new bikes, a 29er would be in the garage.

I started doing more group rides, considering I work from home alone, it's a good social experience for me…

Finally spring blooms

Happy trails

Evil trails

Somewhere in here I did an epic 8 hour ride with some really strong riders - good times, though no pictures…

I spent some time working on log rides…

I remember this ride fondly…

Right about here I got my new bike. I'm usually on the four year plan for a new bike, but I jumped the schedule by about 2 years, it was one of those things (and I have an understanding if not downright encouraging wife!).

Keeping single single

Good spot for a sunset, and one I witnessed many times this year

John Trials, Disch and I did many rides this summer, seeing this pic reminds me just how great those rides were, I gotta make sure those start back up once it's a bit warmer.

More sunsets

I promise myself to get more involved in NEMBA in 2009, I did a few organized festival/ride type things with them this year including the Fall Fiesta where I did the "Freeride" ride, its always good to stretch boundries. Mr Smoothie taking a cool line

Peanut gallery while Ginger rocked out

Another work trip, this time to Rio, unfortunately no riding…

I got a chance to reconnect with some old friends…

…and make some new ones

…and "lost" one constant companion (come on Slider, get back on the bike!):

A few bizarro pics I can't explain…

Before you know it, its fall again

One thing that became apparent as I look through all these pics, I rode this place a LOT this year, not a bad thing, just saying.

I did a bunch of night riding, which is great. I feel like the cost of the light is justified

So that's it. I hope everyone had as good a year as I did and, while it really doesn't seem possible at this point (it never does!), has an even better 2009!

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Set up

paintballpunk687 said:
awesome thread i still cant believe how many pictures you can get and such good ones on solo rides
Its probably the reason I have so few from group rides, getting a pic means getting off the bike and setting things up. I don't mind doing that so much if I'm just impacting my own ride.

John

·
ZEN RIDER!
950 Posts
Sweet! Nice job & cool pics.
I have a 29 on loan i'm hoping to ride today for a bit.
Not convinced its the be all end all of bikes though.

I'm coming up on the 4th or 5th yr of my current bike & have a hankering for
a new ride. The Ibis Mojo looks pretty cool - 23 lb 5.5" trail bike , along with the Pivot Mach 5 or 429 or the new Turner 5 spot.
Want to try the DW link for a change, been riding Horst for ever & never liked vpp for around here.
So many bikes, so little money & free time. :D

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really like my Enduro SL (though I know you said you want to try something different). Its probably not as compliant as some, but it is easier to pedal than my Switch (faux-bar). I haven't ever ridden a DW before. Find DaveP on Crankfire he has a Pivot I'm sure he'd let you try it out (he raves about it). I really liked that TedW (get MMcG on Bikerag for a demo of that bike), like you I'm not so sure that 29er is all that though.

John

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I could tell you...

jmk999 said:
Cool post, thanks. And while I recognize many of the trails, I have no idea where the singletrack shown in "Happy Trails" is located. Please let me know.
I could tell you, but I'd have to kill you...

kidding - its the East Ridge Trail (I think that's the name) at Bigelow Hollow - it's a blue/orange marked trail that comes from the back side of Breakneck back to the access road. It's probably one of my favorite trails in CT.

Tours available anytime...

John

·
Registered
99 Posts
Jisch said:
I could tell you, but I'd have to kill you...

kidding - its the East Ridge Trail (I think that's the name) at Bigelow Hollow - it's a blue/orange marked trail that comes from the back side of Breakneck back to the access road. It's probably one of my favorite trails in CT.

Tours available anytime...

John
A guided tours sounds great, thanks for the offer. Let me know when you plan on going there - and if I'm available (mostly weekends) - I'd love to join you. FYI, any pace is fine with me.

Jim

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Let's see how the snow goes

jmk999 said:
A guided tours sounds great, thanks for the offer. Let me know when you plan on going there - and if I'm available (mostly weekends) - I'd love to join you. FYI, any pace is fine with me.

Jim
We'll have to see how the snow falls with the storm tomorrow. Though I've done some memorable snow rides there in the past. I think I'm skiing on Sunday, I may be open on Saturday PM, but not sure right now.

BTW - No way you know where the second pic and the TedW 29er pics were taken.

John

·
Registered
546 Posts
paintballpunk687 said:
yeah i know what you mean i usually do the pictures and videos for my group and the rest of the guys don't like waiting up for me while i put the camera away.
I don't seem to remember we had a problem yesterday at mesh mr. paintballpunk.

we love having footage of us, esp of me crashing.

·
Registered
99 Posts
You're right, I cannot identify where that picture was taken. It looks like it could be any number of places I know, but I'm guessing it's not. So, where is it?

In that northeastern CT is forecasted to get the heaviest snowfall, I'm guessing this weekend won't work. Hopefully, we'll get an opportunity soon enough.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Nice work John! Thanks for putting the compilation together, especially the greenish hued ones. I could have done without the last one though; looked a lot like what I encountered this morning, except for the sun and non-whiteout conditions. :rolleyes:

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
belt

bde1024 said:
Happy New Year, John. Loved the pics, maybe this will inspire me to use my camera on rides this year. Just curious, how do you carry it?

Al T.
I carry it on the waist belt on my Camelbak, I have a cell phone carrier that it fits in perfectly. If I keep it in my Camelbak it never comes out. Its a hassle even when its that accessible.

John

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.