Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
I just got a BoXXer R2C2 and the oil levels were correct. The seals were greased very well and the spring was covered with more than enough grease.

Either yours was an isolated case or mine was, I'm hoping its the latter...

Call RockShox, they will go out of their way to help you out.

·
Registered
531 Posts
006_007 said:
LMAO, its a good thing fork manufacturers dont go outta business for incorrect oil levels - they would all be gone and we would be riding rigid.

Rule #1 with MTB forks - always disassemble brand new unit and replace the oil. :madman:
It would be nice if that weren't the case. Then I wouldn't have had to have disassembled my fork and waste perfectly good oil to find that it was good to go in the first place :madmax:

·
brake later, pedal sooner
813 Posts
GearTech said:
I just got a BoXXer R2C2 and the oil levels were correct. The seals were greased very well and the spring was covered with more than enough grease.

Either yours was an isolated case or mine was, I'm hoping its the latter...

Call RockShox, they will go out of their way to help you out.
Exactly.

Good thing Rock Shox has good customer service so they will probably take care of it without a fuss.

·
Locs on Spokez
1,905 Posts
I'm kinda surprised you wouldn't bother to overhaul it yourself before its maiden voyage...
As soon as I got my WC I Slick Honey'd the crap outta it before I even put it on my bike.

I dunno, just seems like common sense to me

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
ha ---- try dealing with Marzocchi ---- bought a bunch of them for people through the years --- nearly every single 888 had little or no oil... lots of longer travel forks in general had the same problem. sometimes we'd get Zoke boxes that were saturated with the oil that was supposed to be in the fork. if they needed warranty - getting them fixed took 2 to 3 weeks, most often more. l won't mention the Suntour deal-e-o.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fox (for us) has a pretty good record but any time we had to pull the warranty card, that process takes a really long time.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ask me, SRAM is by far the best as far as fixing problems

·
Pivoteer
3,445 Posts
Iggz said:
I'm kinda surprised you wouldn't bother to overhaul it yourself before its maiden voyage...
As soon as I got my WC I Slick Honey'd the crap outta it before I even put it on my bike.

Yep, although I agree we shouldn't have to do this, it is just common sense. I don't like the stock bath oil anyway, I want to get in my Mobil1 5w-30 for better lubrication.

Both my new Fox and Rockshox seemed to be too low, and all the Marzocchis I see seem to have too much oil.

·
Roll on Spring Time!
1,547 Posts
Not everyone is confident to do the tear down and why a shop to do it out of the box?
I was crapping myself to do it the first time and then couldnt believe how easy it was but I still maintain that not evryone will feel comfortable doing a tear down and especialy on a new fork.
By the way my new Boxxer was very low on oil and the grease was mininal and dry.
I rode my Totem for a while before tearing it down as it was my first fork to strip and it felt golden after the service.
I havent openned my Lyrik but I dont expect it to be correct.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Very true JP. This isn't acceptable from any mfg and shouldn't be the case.

With the BoXXer's need for frequent maintenance I would suggest that anyone who buys one take the time to educate themselves on the maintenance procedures straight away or have a close friend who is comfortable with it. I enjoy doing the maintenance actually and the fork gets better each time I tear it apart rebuild it.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
One has to remember that these things are produced in mass numbers and no manufacturer can have a 100% success rate with QC. Sram has youtube videos explaning every step as dummed down as possible. Fox and zoke require you to send it in, wait a few weeks, ask for money. etc, etc. Sram is like, here you go, do it yourself, we`ll show you how. I like that.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Swissam said:
One has to remember that these things are produced in mass numbers and no manufacturer can have a 100% success rate with QC. Sram has youtube videos explaning every step as dummed down as possible. Fox and zoke require you to send it in, wait a few weeks, ask for money. etc, etc. Sram is like, here you go, do it yourself, we`ll show you how. I like that.
I agree that SRAM CS is great.

But it's pathetic that so many forks on the market still occasionally arrive with no oil.

Think of how many cars are sold each year. How often do you hear about a brand new car that doesn't have any oil in the engine?

the bike industry gets away with QC crap that wouldn't be tolerated in other industries.

·
Registered
925 Posts
So,,,, Why don't they just put a splash of oil in the forks to keep the o rings lubed and send a small container of pre measured fork oil that the end-user can add after purchase????

·
Registered
531 Posts
Demodude said:
So,,,, Why don't they just put a splash of oil in the forks to keep the o rings lubed and send a small container of pre measured fork oil that the end-user can add after purchase????
Because about 70% of the owners out there would hamfist the crap out of the bolts and ruin the fork in minutes.

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
Iggz said:

Not everone is a skilled mechanic. In the automotive world new cars are inspected by the dealers prior to sale. I understand auto's fetch a lot more $$$ and it is worth it for the dealer to know what they are selling their customers. Given RS's QC history if you are aware of their oil level issues expect to check before riding and don't be suprised if it is wrong.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Swissam said:
this is incorrect and you are completely wrong :

http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/index.htm

first , you dont need to go to a third party website to find out how to service their own product, its all there on their site...I like that BETTER personnaly , it just makes more sense dont you think?

Second , SRAM TOOK the idea from FOX.For years all you could easily get from Sram's website was the oil volume chart and how to set up the fork...and that was it.From what I can remember FOX came out with their service page a year or 2 after they first released the 40.

Marzo has some stuff on youtube as well.

Ive worked on all of these fork and Im sure others can agree on this : FOX is by far the best at shipping their fork with the correct oil volume,not perfect but on average better, followed by Marzo and its no news Sram is hands down and always has been the worst of the bunch for this.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.