Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been reading through this thread over on RotorBurn, and it seems to be a problem with some 2010 Boxxers, apparantely some have been shipped with not enough oil in the lowers and very little lubrication on the seals (or non at all) :eekster:

(sound familiar JC?, well i dont think the damper is the problem, just the lowers internal bath oil)

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174356

Should your boxxer have lots of stiction and not seem as plush, i i recommend you check your oil levels in the lowers

Just spreading the word... :thumbsup:

·
Fat Guy Riding
877 Posts
SRAM has confirmed this as an issue and you'll notice that most suppliers can't get any 2010 Boxxers right now. Likely being resolved.

·
Registered
71 Posts

·
Locs on Spokez
1,905 Posts
Unless you're retarded...

You'd pull your new fork apart when you get it... and set it up ver gud

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
$ally Hu$tle said:
yeah seriously every non-retard pulls apart a brand new fork.

classy, man.
I was thinking the same thing. I leave it to the LBS that I purchased it from to add the correct springs, oil levels, and settings. I can do the simple maintance latter, like changing the oil and inspecting the lowers, but if anything goes wrong with a brand new fork out of the box, I don't want any issues with the waruantee dept.:thumbsup:

·
Ideas Above My Station...
1,506 Posts
ilikemybike011 said:
Unless you're retarded...

You'd pull your new fork apart when you get it... and set it up ver gud
Yeah cos i always take apart a new car when i buy one. God forbid i should expect the experts that designed and built the thing to know better than me and sort it out at the factory.

Its their fault if it doesn't work straight outa the box, and if it doens't the LBS who sold it to me will be sorting it out. Thats if i ever get mine that is!!!

·
dontcha?
1,433 Posts
Orange-Goblin said:
Yeah cos i always take apart a new car when i buy one. God forbid i should expect the experts that designed and built the thing to know better than me and sort it out at the factory.

Its their fault if it doesn't work straight outa the box, and if it doens't the LBS who sold it to me will be sorting it out. Thats if i ever get mine that is!!!
I'd normally agree with that statement, but it seems like a common theme among all the fork manufacturers to not put enough oil in their forks(rs/fox/marz)..

·
Registered
750 Posts
I just put my 2010 boxxer race through it's first real day of DH riding at post canyon. Until this point I'd just applied slick honey to the stanchions and let the fork seals soak internally with the existing oil in the lowers while inverted.

I'll likely pull them apart this week, as the "break in" ride resulted in a stickier and spongy feeling fork... :(

I'll reply with a few observations of the stock oil levels once the rebuild is complete.

·
Ideas Above My Station...
1,506 Posts
captain spaulding said:
I'd normally agree with that statement, but it seems like a common theme among all the fork manufacturers to not put enough oil in their forks(rs/fox/marz)..
Yeah i totally see the logic, but many many people do not know how the hell to take a fork apart, and shouldn't have to. It bloody disgraceful, only the MTB industry would let this go and say, "you should have checked the internals when you got it"..... i mean really, think about what your saying!!?

Sad, but true.

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
It seems to be a given that many fork manufacturers are not putting sufficient oil in new forks.... I have to ask, is there any reason why JC that they are not shipping them from the factory with sufficient oil?

If there is no reason, WTF do they do it?

Cheers

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
I have lots of suspicions, but the easiest way to go is to simply think that metering and adding the proper oil is time consuming and messy, not to mention, oil costs them money. In volume numbers, they can save a lot of money, and in all the places corners are cut, they all add up.

A precise, powered metering device could be more money than they want to invest in, although if they have one, perhaps they're not spending any time to calibrate them.

It's funny, if one calls Fox, they say they have ENGINEERS assembling and checking the forks and low oil and defects leaving their offices are absolutely NOT POSSIBLE. We know otherwise.

Zoke has been off on the levels for years, sometimes over, sometimes not oil at all. People trusted Fox with their oil levels right out of the factory, and when I posted my findings in 2007, a lot of fanboys couldn't handle it. At least I got some apology letters from a couple that bashed me on the forum, but then found their own forks were dry. They were too cowardly to admit I was right publicly, but had no problems asking me to guide them through the whole process, then they went back to bashing me for telling the truth about Fox.

Trust none of these companies. I really shouldn't need to check a fork out of the box, either. I hate hammering on that damper cap and ****ing it up.

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
agree and hear you loud and clear JC...

It is not good enough re the fact that insufficient oil is in a fork as it leaves the factory.... In all seriousness, those on here that stated, well tear the fork down and grease and check oil levels, that is absolute BS.... These are brand new products, brand spanking new, if a factory cant despatch a product in the correct form we the customers are paying for, it just sucks!

The last decade was one of making huge profits and money in general, the next decade will sort the good companies out for sure, we are in for a rude awakening.....

1 - 20 of 38 Posts