Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading to DC next weekend. The GF is a Georgetown alum and feeling nostalgiac but I would like a little excitment for the weekend. Are there any trails a short trip from Key Bridge?

Also thinking about a stop at Performance Bike in VA to check out a Large shop that has a large inventory and can sell at competitive prices. Is it worth the trip or not much different than a LBS.

-Mike

·
Registered
509 Posts
Wakefield Park...

Mikey_C said:
Heading to DC next weekend. The GF is a Georgetown alum and feeling nostalgiac but I would like a little excitment for the weekend. Are there any trails a short trip from Key Bridge?

Also thinking about a stop at Performance Bike in VA to check out a Large shop that has a large inventory and can sell at competitive prices. Is it worth the trip or not much different than a LBS.

-Mike
Wakefield Park in Virginia, not far from the Performance store.

http://www.more-mtb.org/

An hour North in Frederick, MD is the real deal.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/western/gambrill.html

·
255 Posts
You would be better off bringing a road or cross bike if you have one. There are miles of good bike paths and road routes worth checking out (even around the monuments), but good mountain biking is at about a 25-45 minute drive away. The only in-town riding is Dupont Park, which is perhaps unsafe. The MORE group hosts group rides there occassionally.

If you don't want to ride or the road or drive to a park, you can always hit up some urban assault. Georgetown campus has tons of great stuff - linking staircases, benches, drops, etc.

As for Performance, you can find some deals there. Other good shops to check out in DC are Bicycle Pro Shop in Georgetown, Revolution Cycles in both Georgetown and Arlington, VA and City Bikes up in Adams Morgan. These shops should have more information about the local bike paths and the closest drive-to trails

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Performance usually has some sort of sale going on. I hit it if I'm in the area or comming back on the west side of the beltway and have nothing better to do. Don't typically make special trip there though. Like mentioned above, Wakefield is right up the road on the beltway, but if you're looking for something a little better, try Gambrils or Patapsco. Gambrils is rocky, but fun. Patapsco has a better varity. Either way you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hit me up on a PM.

I will probably be geting out on an early morning ride at Patapsco State park on Saturday morning. If you are interested, let me know and I can show you around the trails, get you in the ball park and you can have a ball.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.