Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was a full weekend for me, with the XC at Lake Sonoma on Saturday, and the DH race at Toro Park on Sunday

I'd heard about the technical nature of the Lake Sonoma XC race. Chum said it was good if not a bit crazy, not unlike a bunch of hamsters running wild in a little cage.

My girlfriend said it was almost intimidating. The CCCX races we've grown used to have a number of racers who are very casual in appearance - baggy shorts, t-shirts, and the like. 95% of the racers at Lake Sonoma were in matching lycra team kit. Thanks to both the post-race food and the single large structure, we both found it to be a really nice social environment. We were both able to meet and socialize with a number of different people, all of whom were very friendly.

The race itself went well for me. I was in the Beginner Men 35-44 race, and the heat was searing - especially on the climbs right before the finish line. But despite missing a chance to pre-ride the course and going a bit too hard in the first half lap, I was able to settle into a comfortable pace, turning a pair of 35 (or so) minute laps en route to my first ever mtb race win!

Upon returning home to the East Bay, I found myself still wanting more, and decided to head to Toro Park for the CCCX DH race the next day. The course was more challenging than it was the last time I raced there, with some steep, sandy sections, adding to the challenges. I never took any chances - I just did my best to turn as clean a run as possible each time, trying to learn where I can go faster. Despite the screen name, I'm quite tired of hitting the ground.

My run wasn't anything quick, but it was clean enough to win my class - 2 seconds ahead of the 2nd place finisher.

All in all, a good, fun race weekend, with my first ever mtb race wins! This coming weekend will pose a different challenge, with the Xterra Off Road Triathlon at Tahoe City on the schedule. I'm looking forward to it :)

·
Lusus Naturae
2,874 Posts
Damn Mike; I think someone forgot to tell you it was hot out at Lake Sonoma??? Looks like 95 degrees recorded in Healdsburg.

Good job on the race; I was surprised. The results should be up later today but according to my GPS, I just blew up on the second lap. Honeslty I wanted to quit after the first 20 minutes of the race. The heat just kills me ... thats ONE thing that I do not handle very well at all.

I actually accomplished my first goal, which was to get in a lap under 38 minutes. What I was not prepared for was a 44 minute lecond lap. Either way, I am honestly happy to have actually gone out for and completed the second lap. I was so ready to give up. That was probably the second most painful ride of the year, after either NVDC or Lemurian.

Looking forward to the CCCX race ... easy trails, cool temps. Yeah!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
fawndog said:
Nice job Mike, that's a awsome weekend.
Thanks Sonny! I'll give ya a buzz before I leave work so I can get your gear back to ya.

You should give one of these Lake Sonoma races a shot sometime - they remind me a lot of our "Tamarancho Time Trials". They're closer and more affordable than the CCCX races we've done, and you can't beat free food and beer!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CHUM said:
Great job Mike!!!.......2 first places in 2 cats.....looks like you're ready for Sport next season :)
Thanks Nick!

Hopefully I'll be able to by the end of the year - if my results are consistently good, it'll be fun to step it up a notch. I know I've made some gains, but I didn't expect to do this well, as my CCCX XC results have been "eh" so far this year. Maybe that's a result of people staying in the Beginner class who should be bumping up? Either way, it's still a good time :)

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rikbar said:
Gratz!
sounds like you had a great weekend.
Thanks! It's actually been more than a great weekend - it's been a great month! Two weeks ago, my girlfriend and I medaled at "Muddy Buddy". Last week, I got 40+ miles in two great days of riding at Auburn.

I'm hoping my luck holds out for the rest of the summer, and that everyone's having as much fun as we are :)

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
NoBalance said:
Damn Mike; I think someone forgot to tell you it was hot out at Lake Sonoma??? Looks like 95 degrees recorded in Healdsburg.

Good job on the race; I was surprised. The results should be up later today but according to my GPS, I just blew up on the second lap. Honeslty I wanted to quit after the first 20 minutes of the race. The heat just kills me ... thats ONE thing that I do not handle very well at all.

I actually accomplished my first goal, which was to get in a lap under 38 minutes. What I was not prepared for was a 44 minute lecond lap. Either way, I am honestly happy to have actually gone out for and completed the second lap. I was so ready to give up. That was probably the second most painful ride of the year, after either NVDC or Lemurian.

Looking forward to the CCCX race ... easy trails, cool temps. Yeah!
It sure felt warmer than 95 degrees at the end of that first lap - good job hanging in there. I won't be able to make this last CCCX race, but maybe I'll see ya at Downieville!

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Good job Mike. Sounds like you had fun. The course seemed kind of loose this time. The last race I did there was in Nov last year.

I hurt my foot on my first lap and never recovered. I had to hobble out going into my 3rd.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ziscwg said:
Good job Mike. Sounds like you had fun. The course seemed kind of loose this time. The last race I did there was in Nov last year.

I hurt my foot on my first lap and never recovered. I had to hobble out going into my 3rd.
I'd say I was looking forward to riding the course again once it's a little more packed down - but with this lack of rainfall, who knows when that will be, right? With all that riding in loose dirt I did at Toro Park yesterday, maybe I'll be better prepared for my next visit there:)

I remember seeing you roll up on the Prophet at the start, but didn't see you after that. Hope to see you at the next one!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.