Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About every 10 years we get some snow, and inch or two will almost shut this town down.
Now we have 6 inches with more on the way. Wont warm up and rain till the weekend. Been riding to work every day to the amazement of my coworkers. Went for a ride last Sunday, Thursday and today. Also went XC skiing this after noon. The usual stuck busses until they got chains and I had no idea we had snow plows. Pics in no particular order.

·
Is my rear tire flat?
858 Posts
Great pictures Dave..

That really sums it up around here. Still getting snow here tonight in Redmond. It's amazing to see cross country skiers around GreenLake. Definately a once in ten years type of storm. Stay warm you all.
db

·
igoslo
971 Posts
I live at the bottom of a pretty steep hill just North of Green Lake. You'd think the neighbors had never seen snow before. Anything that could pass as a sled became a sled. They started around mid day and didn't stop until after I went to bed. My wife and joined them for a while, they were amazed that I could ride my bike. I was more amazed that I didn't cut down to the pavement on my snowboard.

From 2008-12-21
Green Lake early yesterday morning.

From 2008-12-21
My wife tearing it up.

·
Bike Dork
1,365 Posts
dlbennett said:
That really sums it up around here. Still getting snow here tonight in Redmond. It's amazing to see cross country skiers around GreenLake. Definately a once in ten years type of storm. Stay warm you all.
db
I don't know about the whole 10 years thing when I was there '87-'96 we had at least 3 snowfalls worse than that. Having grown up in the snow, and moving to Seattle in January, I remember teaching the kids in the neighborhood how to build snow forts and have snowball fights. When I worked at the now defunct Bikesmith we made a good number of snow tires with 3/8" sheet metal screws for bike commuters. Val and I had actually started selling these when we were both at The Velocipede back in '89. Seattle is a great city with snow because it takes everyone by surprise.

Enjoy it while it lasts since it'll just be freezing rain for the next 2 months.

·
Bored Carp
1,596 Posts
ha ha ha. Grew up up there, used to live on Cap Hill. People in Seattle deal very poorly with the snow. The jacknifed bus is very familiar. Mine and JMH's favorite Seattle snow activity was to go for late-night walks and watch the driving skills display. There were always some particularly good chainlink fences to crash into near the original REI. The Denny Way sled hill is fun, too...

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great ride to work today, plenty of traction on side streets. Should be a slush fest on the way home.

·
Bike Dork
1,365 Posts
202cycle said:
I loved your pictures. I miss my old home town when it's like that. I am however sad to hear that Bikesmith is gone. What happened there?
Val was never a good business owner. When he took it over from Gina in '94ish it waon its way down. Bob stayed on and them I moved over with Val from Montlake and we got Matt to move over within a couple months. The four of us got things back up and moving up. Matt left and then we started bringing in a lot of trainee wrenches. I left in '96 and Hahn came in to replace me. That left 2 senior mechanics, an experienced wrench and a few part-time newbies. When Bob left he got David to replace him and things started moving back up again. Then the building was bought and the rent doubled. Val always wanted a local neighborhood shop that was a stepping off place for young mechanics to bigger better things. It was a great mission, but not sustainable. Now Val is at Seattle Bike Supply as their suspension tech and working weekends for our old buddy Aaron at Aaron's Bicycle Repair.

Dave_schuldt do you have pics ofter this latest storm? I keep hearing about even more snow in the city.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
jroland said:
oh that is so pretty i love the snow i never get too see any down in TN!!!
Never wish this hell upon yourself! It's easy to think you like it from looking at pictures isnt it? Now were in -35 -40 wind chill, we go out to get the mail and DIE. It's fun for the first 5min.

I never knew snow was that rare in seattle, Chicago has so much cold and snow im getting outa this suck fest,ive always thought the Pacific Northwest would be a good place to live, knowing they get much less snow helps seal that thought.

·
Bike Dork
1,365 Posts
Hand/of/Midas said:
Never wish this hell upon yourself! It's easy to think you like it from looking at pictures isnt it? Now were in -35 -40 wind chill, we go out to get the mail and DIE. It's fun for the first 5min.

I never knew snow was that rare in seattle, Chicago has so much cold and snow im getting outa this suck fest,ive always thought the Pacific Northwest would be a good place to live, knowing they get much less snow helps seal that thought.
The PacNW is full of snow, just not much west of the Cascade range generally. My brother in Spokane in the eastern side got just over 2' in 24 hours. My hometown another 35 miles east in Idaho got 37" in that same time, a record. Chicago wouldn't be considered too bad if it wasn't for the wind and damp. Of course those two things are what makes all the difference when it gets cold

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.