Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got a old land cruiser and not carrying bikes in the ceiling is just silly, is just to freaking high to be of any practical, specially with a rack like the Sport works where "Swing Locking arm" need to be move over the tallest point of the tire..

I'm 6,2" and I can not reach..

Similar "Sport works" rack but adapter to use for the rood rack.

Actually the don't make some I just find them kind of wimpy.

Way to many pivot points..

This actually this looks very interesting..

In the long term I want to build a swingout but so far opening the rear gate is a pain in the bummbbumm

Attachments

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I picked up an older model Draftmaster and modified it to work with my Surly Big Dummy. The vertical design is appealing to me because of how it carries my long wheelbase bike.

IMG_20160810_162314847 by PScal, on Flickr

IMG_20160810_162418519 by PScal, on Flickr
Like a dummy I miss one of those for $80..

Modifying it will be so easy, all my bikes run 24mm or 20mm forks anyway so I need adapters regardless..

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hello from Alta Racks in Utah

We humbly think we have a solution for you,
www.altaracks.com
Great clearance for back door and off-road. converts to other sports and not too many pivot points. designed to military grade standards.
Made in the USA. Used by Ca DSCN2354.jpg fatbikes.jpg 20170622_113409.jpg m Zink and Carson Storch.

·
Registered
62 Posts
One trick pony

CAMSIX.jpg 20170714_084957.jpg
Recon Rack. I have the 5 bike version and it is awesome. Built like a tank and easily fits all types of bikes.

Recon Rack Co

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk
Thank you for the post, the ALTA SIX General Purpose Rack, is the rack that converts to other sports. So while spending a 1000 bucks on a rack that sits for six month of the year maybe OK with some. We wanted to add value and introduce a product that provides the user with functionality and usage thru out the year. Actually, that reason was one of the main reasons we started this product. One rack to Rule them ALL. ALTA SIX GPR. You should expect more.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had to join this forum because I felt strongly about ALTA SIX and their products. I have been cycling both road and dirt for over 23 years now and have owned almost every one of the racks out there. I owned the 1-up and KUAT for the last two racks. The 1-Up was definitely the better of the two but it still had the same issues with door clearances and bike clearances. The KUAT looked great and was mostly acceptable, but for the price was not a value product. I was at Spring Thaw bike demo days in Moab and found ALTA RACKS. The product is amazing, carry up to six bikes, easy loading, no touch to the bike frames, completely adjustable for handlebar and pedal clearance. It does not stop there, the rise for off-road and dip clearance is on point. The rack is light. The company is amazing to work with, they will make sure you are satisfied with your purchase, and all the assembly video are on YouTube. Made it really easy to put together, since it comes almost assembled, you put 5 bolts in and are ready to go. Took me about 15 minutes to assemble the rack and it is hot. Did I mention it carries road bikes as well? I drive an older Toyota truck and had giving up on opening my tail gate. With the ALTA SIX I can open the tail gate and access the back without any issues, plus it drops down two additional location. One of the major items that got me interested, was the ability to off-road and mount on trailers. They won’t void your warranty like the rest of the companies out there. The rack has safety features and fail safe built in everywhere. Our family carry six bikes totaling in the neighborhood of 30 K, so having the peace of mind is huge. Been using the rack for about 2 months now and we LOVE IT. This company builds in Utah and give you life time warranty. Price is a little steep, but I wanted a bulletproof rack, and got one. The bonus is all the features that it comes with, built in repair stand, the stand that store your bikes on the rack, the table is super dope. Then all the winter stuff as well. Super stoked to never take this rack off the truck. I usually don’t write reviews, but I had to give these guys a shout out. They deserve it. I looked at the other uprights as well and ALTA beats out the features every time.

·
Big Mac
4,981 Posts
I had to join this forum because I felt strongly about ALTA SIX and their products. I have been cycling both road and dirt for over 23 years now and have owned almost every one of the racks out there. I owned the 1-up and KUAT for the last two racks. The 1-Up was definitely the better of the two but it still had the same issues with door clearances and bike clearances. The KUAT looked great and was mostly acceptable, but for the price was not a value product. I was at Spring Thaw bike demo days in Moab and found ALTA RACKS. The product is amazing, carry up to six bikes, easy loading, no touch to the bike frames, completely adjustable for handlebar and pedal clearance. It does not stop there, the rise for off-road and dip clearance is on point. The rack is light. The company is amazing to work with, they will make sure you are satisfied with your purchase, and all the assembly video are on YouTube. Made it really easy to put together, since it comes almost assembled, you put 5 bolts in and are ready to go. Took me about 15 minutes to assemble the rack and it is hot. Did I mention it carries road bikes as well? I drive an older Toyota truck and had giving up on opening my tail gate. With the ALTA SIX I can open the tail gate and access the back without any issues, plus it drops down two additional location. One of the major items that got me interested, was the ability to off-road and mount on trailers. They won’t void your warranty like the rest of the companies out there. The rack has safety features and fail safe built in everywhere. Our family carry six bikes totaling in the neighborhood of 30 K, so having the peace of mind is huge. Been using the rack for about 2 months now and we LOVE IT. This company builds in Utah and give you life time warranty. Price is a little steep, but I wanted a bulletproof rack, and got one. The bonus is all the features that it comes with, built in repair stand, the stand that store your bikes on the rack, the table is super dope. Then all the winter stuff as well. Super stoked to never take this rack off the truck. I usually don’t write reviews, but I had to give these guys a shout out. They deserve it. I looked at the other uprights as well and ALTA beats out the features every time.
How long have you worked for Alta? Does schilling pay well?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
How long have you worked for Alta? Does schilling pay well?
It sure reads that way... like someone from Alta wrote it for him... maybe the same guy that "introduced" Alta racks some months ago.

·
Big Mac
4,981 Posts
It sure reads that way... like someone from Alta wrote it for him... maybe the same guy that "introduced" Alta racks some months ago.
Yup, it’s consistent with what Alta racks has done on this forum.

·
Registered
70 Posts
+1 for recon racks. I have the 5 bike version.

However, A word of caution:

When shopping for a vertical rack that carries more than 4 bikes, make sure that your vehicle's rear suspension will be able to carry the weight without bottoming out.

I had to install air springs on my toyota sienna and pump them up to near max pressure (32-34psi) in order to avoid the combined weight of 5 bikes and rack (est. 30lb/bike x5 and 85lb rack=235lb tongue wt) sinking my vans rear end too much.

Basically, if you have a light suv or minivan, you will probably need a suspension upgrade or air assist. Subaru crossovers would probably be an exception as their suspension is pretty burly as stock.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
Big Props to Recon. Just got our 5 pack rack and there is no comparison to the NorthShore 6er we just got rid of. So much easier to load/unload and the pivot mechanism is top notch. It is obvious he takes great pride in delivering a top notch product.

On another note, can't wait to get rid of the POS Kuat we have had on the wife's rig for the last few years. They make them look purty and all and it is great they come with a gimmicky work stand which has never been used, but they do simply not hold up to real world usage... May have to get her the 4 pack Recon...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Some what an unfair statement mbmb65, We ask our customers to put their reviews on sites and send us the links. We will gladly provide a rack for demo to show the superiority of our product. Our racks solved the problem of clearance, and conversion where not a single company is addressing. We believe in bringing value beyond the single function. Our goal is to bring joy to our customers one rack at a time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
@mbmb65 - I wouldn't know if schilling pays well, however I do know a good product when I've found one. I figured by sharing my experience with Alta Racks others may benefit from it.

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
Holy wall of text Batman!

·
Big Mac
4,981 Posts
Some what an unfair statement mbmb65, We ask our customers to put their reviews on sites and send us the links. We will gladly provide a rack for demo to show the superiority of our product. Our racks solved the problem of clearance, and conversion where not a single company is addressing. We believe in bringing value beyond the single function. Our goal is to bring joy to our customers one rack at a time.
Unfair? How? Your guy joined to post a press release. And your tasteless hawking of your own product is unscrupulous at best.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts