Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, so as most of you I think there are way to many best AM bike questions on here. And in all honesty there's never a conclusion because there's to many awesome bikes out there and everyone has different riding preferences and brand loyalties.

My swing on this questions is what niche of bike to buy. i.e. I'm considering
1) the Heavy Duty do it all bike (Nomad for example): Can Pedal, Can Ride lift Access but a little heavy.
2) the Long Travel XC bike (Intense Tracer): Great Pedalling, but won't take as much of a beating
3) 4X bike (Blur 4X): The curve ball, can be built up as light as a long travel XC bike, with a frame and Geo that could handle park riding.

So what should I buy. First a little about me 5'10, 165ish Lbs, Race DH, Currenly own a DH bike and a XC Hartail and looking for something to fill the gap for Mountain Riding. (i.e. want to do 50KM epics up and down but be able to hit 4 - 6 foot drops. When I'm out the Downs and flowy single track is what I love, the climbing is more of a necessity then a love, but I do ride with a few spandex wearing XC racers and don't want to be at a huge disadvantage either..

So my thoughs are I want the Nomad for the Downhills and Tech stuff, Some to hand off an Intense Tracer for the flats, Climbs, and flowy stuff. Would a 26 to 27lbs Blur 4X be the compromise? Or does the new Nomad hide it's 30lbs good enough I shouldn't care? Maybe I'm understimating a bike like the Tracers ability to handle what I can throw at?

·
Riiiiiide...
690 Posts
Dust_Head said:
6 to 10 foot drops.
FORGET sub 30lb bikes.. period. Sounds like you want to use your DH race abilities on everyday trails.. you need an aggro all-mountain/light freeride/mini DH bike. Id say a 33lb build minimum. When you get that taken care of, convince your spandex wearing XC buddies that they absolutely NEED similar bikes as well!!

EDIT: Just noticed you have a Scythe.. how bout a single crown fork and lighter wheels, 7" mode and possibly an air shock?? Throw on that DH stuff for the downs only.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'd say build up a nomad into the 33 lb range and you'd be golden. With the revised vpp2 tech it pedals even better.2x9, coil shock, adjustable air fork, adjustable seat post with some other goodies sounds about right.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Your comment about a Nomad hiding its weight well is very true...as do several other excellent brands and models. While I have an '06 Nomad, I'm not so dogmatic as to suggest that it's the only great and capable bike out there. I'm somewhat amazed that SC got the newest version of the Nomad to drop about .4 pound which will only sweeten the deal. My Nomad is build to about 32 pounds with a piggyback air shock (ISX-6) and solid components elsewhere. I agree with PsyCro on not going too crazy light. I'm 57 years old and can still pedal my 32 pound Nomad around with relative ease for all manner of riding. I'm experimenting with a longer coil shock on there now which brings the weight up to just over 33 pounds, and the bike is still easy to ride. The Nomad and similar models becoming more and more available from other manufacturers in the 6-6.5 inch travel range are just about the ideal type of bike to do everything without suffering at either end of the spectrum. The other option with a bike like the Nomad category is the ability to have two rear shock types and two forks which can be swapped out with relative ease for giving the bike an even wider use application when you're going to really hang it out in an aggressive riding venue. The frame strength and geometry of the Nomad allow one to make this radical jump from light trail riding to bike park use as good as any bike made.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting, I was actually kind of hoping someone was going to convince me that the lighter bikes would work for me. You guys aren't making my choice any easier, But I guess might have to push it towards the top of the list.

And on the Scythe. I love it for DH. Tight, Stiff, Nimble. But would be to much bike for a trail such as the 7summits in Rossland for example.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I think my suggestion is a 1.5, not quite #1 on your list, but a little more bike than option #2.

I picked up a 2008 Reign 1 frame used, but in great shape, then transferred my parts from my previous XC/AM frame. No weight weenie parts, here are the highlights:

2008 Reign 1 Frame, RP2 shock - 18" frame
Manitou Nixon Intrisic Dampening, 160mm travel with IT (travel adjust)
RF Evolve XC cranks, soon to be Stylo GXP 3.3.
XT - BB, Rear D, Front D, shifters and Brakes
Easton AM 65mm stem, and low rise bar
Easton Havocs - with QR rear, and setup for 20mm front.
Conti - Mountain King 2.2 tires
Truvativ Seat Post
Seat - ???
In this setup the bike is 29.9 lbs

I also have a set of Syncro DP25 rims on Hope Pro II hubs (10mm RWS TA & 20mm front)
with fairly substantial 2.35 rear and 2.4 front tires. Rims/hubs about the same weigh at the Havoc but tires add about 1/2lb - 3/4 lb, but much more grip.

With the fork at 160mm the head angle is 67.5. I might see if I can use the Real World Cycling bottom cup externalizer. If the steerer tube is long enough this change would add about 15mm stack height and likely drop the HA to just under 67 degrees. The fork has travel adjust so I can slam it down for the steep technical climbs as well.

The other option I will explore is to fit the 7.5 x 2.0 RP23 and see what it does for BB height and to slackn the HA. Will need to cycle through the travel to ensure that there is no contact with the shorter e2e shock.

I did have a Nomad before and it was a lot of fun, mine was a full on FR bike for me and was about 39lbs. That is why I am hoping the Reign will provide the relaxed HA, lots of travel, but still keep it light and very efficient.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.