Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Steel is real.
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a TRUE story that may offend the ultra-delicate flowers among us so........ Anyway, has anyone else experience anything like this?

Yesterday I stopped in to see a buddy of mine who I hadn’t talked to in a little while. I found him rummaging through his oversized toolbox that he uses for his Moto X stuff. It had been driving him nuts how badly disorganised and filthy he let the box and all of his tools get so he had finally started on the cleaning project he planned months before. Seeing how much it was bothering him I naturally, being the good friend I am, jumped on the opportunity to hound him (jokingly) about it; making him feel all the more worse.

After a time he decided to sit at his bench, sip the coffee I had brought him and take a break while we talked. As we discussed things that, well, guys discuss, I looked curiously through the very top portion of the box which he had most recently been working on. It was an assortment of tools jumbled into what seemed to be one big mass. Never before had I seen so many wrenches, pliers, parts, and whatever else strewn about in a clutter. I was amazed at all the junk (not tool related) that found its way into the box by this time. I laugh shaking my head as I start, mid-conversation, to hand him sockets to wipe off and replace, in order, back into their rightful containers. It wasn’t my job but, I was there, I might as well help.

This goes on a while and the top of the box is looking a lot better but still pretty awful. I start getting down to the metal bottom of the very top section and discover papers, stickers and all kinds of other crap. I suggest he take over since I don’t know what’s good or bad or whatever. I walk over and take his spot at the bench. Just as he looks into the top of the box his eyes grow as big as saucers.

“Oh-h-h maaaaannn.......” he says excitedly. “I can’t believe I forgot about this.” He smiles and struggles to pull out a 5X7 photo which was face-down in the top of the box and half covered by the remaining junk. Still smiling he pulls the photo out, quickly glances at it, giggles again, wipes the dust off on his sweatshirt and hands it over. To my surprise it’s a photo of an attractive, 20-something blond completely nude on a sofa. There is big girlish writing (in pink of course) which says “Write me Nate!” with the typical hearts dotting the “i” and “!”.

My response is “WTF?........Nice!”

Turns out, back when he lived in San Diego and was racing a ton (on his mtb) he answered an add in Mountain Bike Magazine asking “Do you need motivation for your racing?” or something to that effect. The add later stated to simply send a self addressed stamped envelope to... A little while later he got this photo in the mail and a note asking him if was motivated enough yet and if not, to write back.

I thought that was a pretty damn funny story and thought I’d share.

Sorry for being so damn verbose again.

Ska!

·
Perpetually single track
3,175 Posts
God I love this forum, Ska and everyone else. Makes it so much easier to make it through the rough days at work.

·
Who are the brain police?
10,112 Posts
You can always write your own motivational letter for racing and have it posted on http://www.readmyboobs.com/ Just put the text in an email & send it off to "Bamboo".

·
Shut Up, Legs!
161 Posts
Excellent story! Did YOU ever call her? Hate to see that kind of excitement go to waste...
Excellent mojo, by the way:
"Remember, the reason we're all here is because we're not all there."

·
Category Winner
6,077 Posts
Sad to say....

but I have the same photo at home. It is in my old training journal. Whenever I get bored enough to look through my old race photos I get to see her. I am not to sure I ever got any motivation out of it, and I am not very sure why I keep it. I remember that she was trying to pay her way through college to get a degree in special ed/deaf education. Her brother took some of the pics. eeechhhh.

I really can't believe somebody else actually has one of her photos.

·
Map Maker
1,244 Posts
Locoman said:
You can always write your own motivational letter for racing and have it posted on http://www.readmyboobs.com/ Just put the text in an email & send it off to "Bamboo".
thats so fake- its just photo-shopped on . this type of thing has been going around the internet for years

1 - 8 of 8 Posts