Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The Riddler
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone could lend me a hand here. I was under the impression, and asked on this board, if you were using UST rims, like a Mavic Crossmax XL, that you did not need to mount Stan's Rim Strips when mounting regular tires and using his sealant. His sheet the stuff came with said i need to. What the...? So to end all clarification, do I need a rim strip or no rim strip when using stans sealant, regualar tire, and UST rim?

·
Registered
197 Posts
What is your tire/rim combo? You should not need it, but it wont hurt, and it makes a difference for some tires.

Maybe some on here have tried your tire/rim combo and they can tell you for sure...

·
The Riddler
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am using a Mavic Crossmax XL UST Disc Rim with a Schwalbe Skinny Jimmy Light tire.

·
noMAD man
12,208 Posts
Depends on tire and use.

Kaparzo said:
I was wondering if anyone could lend me a hand here. I was under the impression, and asked on this board, if you were using UST rims, like a Mavic Crossmax XL, that you did not need to mount Stan's Rim Strips when mounting regular tires and using his sealant. His sheet the stuff came with said i need to. What the...? So to end all clarification, do I need a rim strip or no rim strip when using stans sealant, regualar tire, and UST rim?
Here's what we've found out at our shop in nearly 3 years of tubeless use. If you're using UST rims and UST tires, you can pretty much do away with the strips. If you're using UST rims with conventional tires, I'd recommend using a strip on the front tire at least. Some bead separation and burping seem to be more prevalent with the front on a conventional tire/UST rim combo. The back doesn't seem to be as problematic. Stan's strip on a UST rim just gives that extra sealing quality on a tire and wheel setup, especially under extreme use. Even when peeled back just a bit under a bad landing, the tire and strip stay in contact with each other to stop a separation and air loss.

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
Non-UST Maxxis HighRoller on Deemax UST Rims

TNC said:
If you're using UST rims with conventional tires, I'd recommend using a strip on the front tire at least. Some bead separation and burping seem to be more prevalent with the front on a conventional tire/UST rim combo. The back doesn't seem to be as problematic. Stan's strip on a UST rim just gives that extra sealing quality on a tire and wheel setup, especially under extreme use. Even when peeled back just a bit under a bad landing, the tire and strip stay in contact with each other to stop a separation and air loss.

Just wondering if you have any experience with using the above combination. I am currently using a 2.7" Wire Bead DH Casing up front and a 2.35" wire bead, DH casing in the rear with Stan's Latex Sealant but without rim strips. Would you recommend a rim stirp for this combo?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm running DeeMax UST w/ non UST tire (Panaracer FR 2.4) and I don't use any rim strips. I haven't had a problem yet. I had a smaller tire on the rear that had seen better days, I hit a jump w/ low low pressure the side wall left the bead for 2 seconds and then it popped right back on. I pumped it back up and kept riding...Stan's is the best stuff.

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
Any burping or Streaks of Stans come out during rough decents?

mtnrider said:
I'm running DeeMax UST w/ non UST tire (Panaracer FR 2.4) and I don't use any rim strips. I haven't had a problem yet. I had a smaller tire on the rear that had seen better days, I hit a jump w/ low low pressure the side wall left the bead for 2 seconds and then it popped right back on. I pumped it back up and kept riding...Stan's is the best stuff.
Mine work fine too but I am noticing streaks of fluid come out of the rim/bead junction when riding rough terrain at over 20MPH (You see white streaks on the side walls). I don't ussulay lose too much pressure but I do notice a 1-2PSI drop after long rough DH rides. Have you noticed the same thing?

·
noMAD man
12,208 Posts
Generally on those big meats...

SCUBAPRO said:
Just wondering if you have any experience with using the above combination. I am currently using a 2.7" Wire Bead DH Casing up front and a 2.35" wire bead, DH casing in the rear with Stan's Latex Sealant but without rim strips. Would you recommend a rim stirp for this combo?
Like you mention, they seem to work about as good as a UST tire. We haven't tried that specific setup, but just about all the beefier DH tires seem to seal up like a vise. If I recall, Maxxis even had a setup to run all/some of their bigger tires in a tubeless manner. The wire bead in those tires seems to help bead integrity.

·
noMAD man
12,208 Posts
Panaracer 2.4

mtnrider said:
One of our customers runs this setup but runs the strips because they're on non-UST wheels. I thought these tires, even though they're rated 2.4, are actually a little smaller. The carcass seems fairly flexy too--the kevlar model. Since he's been running strips, he's had no problems, but I wonder how well they'd function on UST rims without the strips. For the most part, running the strip in the front wheel has just about guaranteed no separations, burping, or failure. As I mentioned before, many of the real DH tires have such high rim gripping integrity that strips are probably not necessary on UST wheels. I ran a Mich. 2.5 DH comp 24 and a 2.8 DH comp 32. These wire beaded mini-motorcycle tires definitely don't seem to need anything on a UST rim.

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
No strips...yet

Kaparzo said:
I am using a Mavic Crossmax XL UST Disc Rim with a Schwalbe Skinny Jimmy Light tire.
I'm using Big/King Jims on SL's with 30 psi. Had a problem with the rear tire because I rode it right after it was mounted. You should let them sit overnight. Did that, and both worked very well. Have you had burping with the Skinny's? I've only had mounting/burping problems with the smaller tires, ie. Nokian NBX 2.1 and Conti Explorers.

Hoping these tires are more durable than most standard tires. Love the weight and feel of st. tires but sidewall tears and tread punctures have been a problem with this setup.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just mounted a brand new Panaracer Fr on the front and it lost about 2 psi after sitting for 3 days before my ride. My rear which is my now old front panaracer FR is a little more abused and its about the same. I haven't checked immediately after a ride yet. I think I may have lost a little in the rear (older tire) after but I haven't seen any fluid leaks/white streaks.

As far as width of the tire it looks as big as a Mobster 2.5 and looks way bigger than the 2.35 Continental I had too. I don't know how they measure them though either. Calipers to the most outside knob when inflated?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts