Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few folks gathered last night for a ride, it was cold, it was icey, it was hard, it was SINGLETRACK :) :) :) :)

I road first with my wife mid-afternoon, then met up with the other group for the night adventure. There were a few new bikes out there, a couple new 29" SS's.

Here are some pic's from the ride, nothing on the decent as we didn't really stop all the way down.

Enjoy.

Attachments

·
Registered
683 Posts
Fun ride, great group. Thanks to all. What is normally an easy climb turned out to be probably the hardest logging road climbing I have ever done, thanks to all that ice. Singletrack was in great shape, though!

Thanks for snapping the pics, General. You're turning into quite the photographer. Geez, who do you think you are, Sasquatch or somethin'?!? (insert little smiley emoticon -- can you do that in the "quick reply" screen?)

Albee

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Well actually..

General Coonskins said:
My guess, around 20 deg.
..my guess would put it a little warmer than that, probably closer to 30deg, based on the fact that in the few places where there was 'bare' gravel, that it was quite "mushy" - (are my brakes dragging, or is that just my butt dragging?), which it wouldn't be at 20 deg, but that's quibbling. Maybe Caz had his new-fandangled GPS do-everything unit on that would have that temp info on it - Caz??

Fun ride was had by all, singletrack!! I'll guess that each of us probably went down on the ice at least once. That snow made a normally moderate road climb into a real workout.

·
Tree Hugger
2,946 Posts
Mudflaps said:
..my guess would put it a little warmer than that, probably closer to 30deg, based on the fact that in the few places where there was 'bare' gravel, that it was quite "mushy" - (are my brakes dragging, or is that just my butt dragging?), which it wouldn't be at 20 deg, but that's quibbling. Maybe Caz had his new-fandangled GPS do-everything unit on that would have that temp info on it - Caz??

Fun ride was had by all, singletrack!! I'll guess that each of us probably went down on the ice at least once. That snow made a normally moderate road climb into a real workout.
Yeah, it was a nice combo of slick rock hard ice, and soft, mushy gravel. Add in a serving of hard, crusty snow (the best traction option) and I'd call it a challenging climb. Even though I was freezing cold at the start, I agree that the temps probably didnt get much below freezing.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
And now you're stealing other peoples' lines

Sparticus said:
Here you go, Albee: ":)"

As for last night -- "BEST RIDE OF THE SUMMER!"

--Sparty
"BEST RIDE OF THE SUMMER!"

Hey, that's Caz' line, maybe he'll let you borrow it. Along those lines, and to steal/borrow one of your lines Sparty - 'lickin' forehead' to the next - "BEST RIDE OF THE SUMMER!"
(It's a good thing we have many, many summers around here, so we can have lots of those best rides)

Flaps

·
Registered
683 Posts
I think he meant something different...

General Coonskins said:
Ya' probably not that cold but after the earlier ride and getting cold on it the body core temp was down for me to start.
I think Downhillross was just throwing us a straight line to see if we'd bite. Y'know, like "it was so cold the Oakridge hookers were wearing thermal teddies -- and they took their teeth out so they wouldn't chatter," or "it was so cold the squirrels were playing with their nuts to keep warm," or something to that effect. Shirley you can think of others....

·
Known Mountainbiker
873 Posts
I said it before and I'll say it again......best ride of the summer.... in our backyard.... you forehead lickers.

And, no, my gps thingy doesn't do the temp but I'm willing to bet that the windchill factor was was closer to 20 on the descent. But to be honest, under the circumstances, I'd say the temps were right about 29er (plus or minus a cleat)

Caz

·
Registered
316 Posts
Great ride, not having a foot cleated gave me a fighting chance against the ice, which still managed to slam me down. Good folks at Paul's did warranty the Nike Shoe. First ride on a 29er, So good, So Far! Bob

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.