Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...most of y'all know I've been running a 650B front and 26 rear for years now on a Nomad and an '08 Stumpy FSR. I haven't seriously ridden a 26 front for quite awhile now. This past week I revived a 2000 Spec Big Hit Enduro that's been on again/off again over the years. I used a very nicely modded Z150SL fork that has a coil and Z150 damper in one leg and still has the Doppio air cart in the other. This fork is extremely tuneable and plush. This fork will not fit a 650B as many of the Marz forks won't. Since this isn't going to be a primary ride, I figured the 26 would be fine and probably unnoticeable. This bike also has an aftermarket Risse rear triangle that is an engineering and visible work of art. This bike has always worked very well.

Even though this a very tall fork in relation to the rear of this particular bike, I could immediately feel the cornering difference. The bike had a noticeable "tuck" when cornering and small bumps and irregularites were more noticeable. It should have resulted in less tuck and front wheel bite with this fork and geometry IMO. And the plushness of this fork should have resulted in at least equal feedback in the bar IMO. I felt this all had to be in my head, but the more I rode, the more these issues were noticeable. Now...I realize all bikes are not equal, but really the geo numbers and such on this bike are not that far out of line with the SJ and Nomad. Plus I had ridden this bike many times for many years and never sensed this before. I don't really consider myself a crazed 650B fanboy, but I have always liked what it did to my Nomad and SJ. However it wasn't until I went back over to a 26 front on my Big Hit that I realized the effect may be bigger than I thought.

Well anyway, that's the way it turned out, and it impressed me enough to share it for whatever it's worth.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Rock on Fan Boy!

TNC - I don't doubt what you are saying at all.

I recently acquired a used Fox Vanilla, solely for the purpose of going back to a 650b front.
(and to try a coil too)
I bought the blur LT2 I have because it has the room in back. Unfortunately, the only 140mm fork I had was a Revelation that wasn't compatible. So...I've been on 26" f/r for a bit and miss the 650b.

Plans are to use the wheel I have up front as soon as I finish rebuilding fork, and ride 650b f / 26" r. Later I may try 650b front & rear.

·
Purveyor of Trail Tales!
1,189 Posts
It's worth a lot!

TNC said:
OK...most of y'all know I've been running a 650B front and 26 rear for years now on a Nomad and an '08 Stumpy FSR.....Well anyway, that's the way it turned out, and it impressed me enough to share it for whatever it's worth.
Hi TNC,

It impressed me enough that I just sent you a PM asking for advice regarding a similar conversion I plan to make.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and wisdom!

Michael:thumbsup:

·
Shifted
262 Posts
stories like this are really making me think I just need to bite the bullet and buy a 650B wheel and tire without even knowing how my Titus El Guapo build handles with just 26rs on it. I'm coming from a 2008 Kona Hei Hei 29r 4"fr/3.5"r that I'm still riding. I love riding over stuff! I want a wider front rim anyways for the titus but the only thing keeping me from goin 650b is the tire selection. Arizona trails are hard on tires and I don't really want to keep multiples in stock.

which tires has a larger Volume; The Neo Moto or the Kenda Nevgal?
which tire is more rugged?

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
berny2435 said:
stories like this are really making me think I just need to bite the bullet and buy a 650B wheel and tire without even knowing how my Titus El Guapo build handles with just 26rs on it. I'm coming from a 2008 Kona Hei Hei 29r 4"fr/3.5"r that I'm still riding. I love riding over stuff! I want a wider front rim anyways for the titus but the only thing keeping me from goin 650b is the tire selection. Arizona trails are hard on tires and I don't really want to keep multiples in stock.

I wouldn't worry about durability on the Neo. I'm in west Texas with lots of rocks, cactus, and mesquite. I've also used the Neo for 2-week at a time trips in the gnarliest trails in Moab. It's a tough tire. Do not worry.

Attachments

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mike A. said:
TNC - where is that pic? Moab?
Yes...that's that lead-in step down right at the beginning of the Amasa Back trail as you leave the road.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
berny2435 said:
The Nevegal 2.35 is slightly larger volume according to Shiggy's site. http://mtbtires.com/site2/
It's VERY grippy and confident, while being a slow roller, and not particularly rugged IMO. Thus far I've put only limited miles on a Neo Moto 2.1, and it's amazingly good for it's width.... and LOOKS to be a little higher quality and more rugged tire than the Nev. It's got me thinking that a NEO 2.3 will be my next front tire, even though I really love the Nevegal. Others can probably vouch with more personal experience on both tires.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts