Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
amar la vida de dos niner
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the kids are home on their Christmas break, and mom's bike-riding freedom is limited. I'm getting lots done around my house, which is never a bad thing. Last night, I decided to take a little look at my camera's manual and learn something new about it.

And guess what I found?

Attachments

·
Currently in Exile
2,303 Posts
So, you found the Macro function. I think there was a thread here a while back with Macro photos as the theme. I will have to do a search.

·
250 Posts
scorpionwoman said:
Oh, right. Bike-related stuff. Here's a couple.
once the annual award tread starts, I'll nominate your derailleur shot for best macro picture. hehehe :D

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
The second one took more than a few seconds to decipher.
Then the DUH! smacked me up alongside my thick noggin. (what's her name? Duhhhhh!) :D

Cool stuff, bike boredom. ;)

·
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
slocaus said:
The second one took more than a few seconds to decipher.
I found that little guy at a shop in Denver on my last morning of what had been a fantastic mountain biking vacation. (Some pics from that trip are on Anthony's website, but I'm not sure how he feels about folks linking to his site.) It was also my first introduction to mtbr, as Anthony was posting pics of our rides each day.

The glass scorpion is only 3/4" long, so it seemed like a good subject for a macro shot. But he does lose something in magnification, so I wanted to use his shadow to help identify him. Is that what helped you tell what it was?

Today, my youngest returns to his Montessori school. And mom is going to spend *hours* on the trail. Yippee! It's a little cool (for me) for riding today; I trail run when it's in the 40s. But it'll be in the 70s by the weekend, and I'll once again be regaling Passionites with pics from my rides.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
scorpionwoman said:
I found that little guy at a shop in Denver on my last morning of what had been a fantastic mountain biking vacation. (Some pics from that trip are on Anthony's website, but I'm not sure how he feels about folks linking to his site.) It was also my first introduction to mtbr, as Anthony was posting pics of our rides each day.

The glass scorpion is only 3/4" long, so it seemed like a good subject for a macro shot. But he does lose something in magnification, so I wanted to use his shadow to help identify him. Is that what helped you tell what it was?

Today, my youngest returns to his Montessori school. And mom is going to spend *hours* on the trail. Yippee! It's a little cool (for me) for riding today; I trail run when it's in the 40s. But it'll be in the 70s by the weekend, and I'll once again be regaling Passionites with pics from my rides.
How about a link to the pics on Anthony's site without the direct link. PM it if preferred.

Only 3/4" long!? Wow, really nice shot, I assumed 3 inches or so. Yes, the shadow helped, but knowing a red headed Scorpio female was using the camera was a big clue (to those of us that have known red headed Scorpio females in previous lives..........) ;)

Git yer bike out there, you are behind.
Here is 2008 to date for an old, sunny west coast, snowless, bike maniac, er, rider, 46.15 mi, 7677 ft total ascent, 11:13:56 total time.

Takes a lickin', keeps on tickin'. :D

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Being a person who has done some photography I define macro photography as greater than 4:1 but less than 1:4. In other words, on a 35mm frame (24mm X 36mm) a dime will be anywhere from 3mm on the negative to as much as 48mm (obviously, this will not fit on a 24X36mm frame). A dime is 12mm across, right?

Attachments

·
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I appreciate your knowledgeable input.

I use "macro" for pictures I take with the setting on my camera that is called "macro."
:D

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
It was never meant to be a poke at anyone. The industry has taken the definition and skewed it so now anyone can take 'macro' pictures but they're actually taking close-ups.

Oh, yeah, that picture above was not cropped but it was resized from 3008X2000 to 902X600 so that I could post it here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts