Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to give Trek bikes an applause for their customer service. I bought a remedy 8 last may, this was my first trek bike I ever owned. The lyric 2 step messed up after about two months and while it was getting repaired at SRAM, Trek sent me a loner fork so I could ride my bike in the meantime. SRAM ended up sending me a brand new Lyrick 2 step and this fork lasted about two months before it messed up. I called Trek and told them about my problem and how I have lost faith in Rock shock right now. Treks answer: There sending me a new Fox Talas in place of the lyric. I am quite impressed, and will remain a trek customer for a long time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
amor587 said:
What happened to your Lyric, what were the problems? Let us know.Thanks

I had had the fork about 3 months when in the lock down position (115mm) it would only lock down as far as 120, then 125, then 135 etc. I brought it in and it got sent to Sram, and they had it about six weeks and then sent me out a brand new fork. It worked for about two months and then the same problem happened to this one. I ride 3 times a week for about two hours each time, I don't know if it is that the fork doesn't handle this much riding or did I just get stuck with two bad forks.
 

·
Nightmare on Lyrik st. VI
Joined
·
818 Posts
You're not alone. Same bike, same fork, similar stories. I had 3 forks fail on me, 2 of them in the first ride. The difference is that they keep giving me Lyriks. I guess I didn't say the magic words.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Remedy 8

AMRGB

After reading of your ongoing problems I decided to order my Remedy 8 with a Fox 36 Talas. I don't imagine you can just change fork brands after you've taken posession of the Lyric :madman: . It may be possible to work with your LBS to negotiate some sort of a discount on a Fox. To anyone else contemplating a Remedy 8 purchase I can tell you the Fox has been great on my bike :thumbsup: . I don't think the bike shops will be surprised that potential customers want to upgrade. My shop has a demo Remedy 8 with a broken Lyric fork. To use the Fox fork you need a spacer that your Trek dealer can supply.
 

·
Nightmare on Lyrik st. VI
Joined
·
818 Posts
If Rock Shox gives me a brand new replacement, I can't see why that brand new fork can't be replaced by a Fox. The OP got one. As always, it depends on who you talk to, and how much noise you're willing to make.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
amrgb said:
If Rock Shox gives me a brand new replacement, I can't see why that brand new fork can't be replaced by a Fox. The OP got one. As always, it depends on who you talk to, and how much noise you're willing to make.
If I was ordering a new Remedy I would have them put the fox fork on it. In my case I already owned the remedy and the lyric had broke twice, so I asked trek to replace it with the fox and they did. If you get it replaced for your lyric you can get a spacer like the other poster said, but have trek send you a tapered steerer tube, this way you don't need a spacer. That is what they sent me. The lyric 2-step I loved, when it worked, it is a little easier to adjust on the fly than the talas, but the forks I had were unreliable.
 

·
Nightmare on Lyrik st. VI
Joined
·
818 Posts
My LBS called me today. SRAM gave me a brand new Solo Air (I prefer it to the 2-step) and a little something for all the trouble.

My LBS contacted Trek as well, and they sent a brand new Lyrik U-turn right away. It's nice they acted quickly, but to get Lyriks I'd rather deal with SRAM. I have nothing but good to say about SRAM's customer service. My only problem is with the unreliability of the Lyriks.

So, it's Lyrik round 4 for me. If I have problems again, I'll have to contact Trek myself and see what comes out of it. The only thing I know is that as long as I keep having problems with a $4000 bike, I won't think about buying another bike, regardless of the brand.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
amrgb said:
My LBS called me today. SRAM gave me a brand new Solo Air (I prefer it to the 2-step) and a little something for all the trouble.

My LBS contacted Trek as well, and they sent a brand new Lyrik U-turn right away. It's nice they acted quickly, but to get Lyriks I'd rather deal with SRAM. I have nothing but good to say about SRAM's customer service. My only problem is with the unreliability of the Lyriks.

So, it's Lyrik round 4 for me. If I have problems again, I'll have to contact Trek myself and see what comes out of it. The only thing I know is that as long as I keep having problems with a $4000 bike, I won't think about buying another bike, regardless of the brand.
I know how you feel. That is why you should call trek directly, remember even though that is a rockshox fork, trek put it on the bike when they sold it, and have to warranty it. If you want a different fork (fox), you need to call trek and let them do the footwork between rockshox and fox.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
Frankinnj said:
I know how you feel. That is why you should call trek directly, remember even though that is a rockshox fork, trek put it on the bike when they sold it, and have to warranty it. If you want a different fork (fox), you need to call trek and let them do the footwork between rockshox and fox.

Actually, that isn't exactly accurate. Trek doesn't have to warranty it at all, Rock Shox has to warranty it. Trek may, at their discretion, do so to help customers out but they don't have an obligation to do so as they are not the ones who make that part. It sort of like buying the same fork from your dealer. They sold it to you, but they don't provide the warranty for it, Rock Shox does. Same thing here, Trek sold you the fork as part of their bike, through your dealer. So they are just one link in the chain, but that chain ends at RS.

It's awesome that you got the Fox upgrade, but that is above and beyond really.

The real question is what is up with all these Lyrics going bad? Rock Shox has been making forks for a long time, you would think they would have this dialed by now. I have a U-Turn Lyric I'm going to try out in the near future, I hope it works out for me, seems like a nice fork, we'll find out this spring I guess.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
slide13 said:
Actually, that isn't exactly accurate. Trek doesn't have to warranty it at all, Rock Shox has to warranty it. Trek may, at their discretion, do so to help customers out but they don't have an obligation to do so as they are not the ones who make that part. It sort of like buying the same fork from your dealer. They sold it to you, but they don't provide the warranty for it, Rock Shox does. Same thing here, Trek sold you the fork as part of their bike, through your dealer. So they are just one link in the chain, but that chain ends at RS

It's awesome that you got the Fox upgrade, but that is above and beyond really.

The real question is what is up with all these Lyrics going bad? Rock Shox has been making forks for a long time, you would think they would have this dialed by now. I have a U-Turn Lyric I'm going to try out in the near future, I hope it works out for me, seems like a nice fork, we'll find out this spring I guess.
That is why I started this post as a "shout out to trek" for doing what is right and taking care of its customers. What I was trying to say to other guy who is on is fourth Lyric, is that if he decides to try another fork, to let Trek handle it for him cuz they (Trek sold him the bike). Its kinda like if you owned a Chevy and the alternator went bad, but the alternator was made by Nissan. The chevy owner should not have to work through Nissan cuz that is who made the alternator, chevy chose that type of alternator to put in that specific chevy, and there fore Chevy has an obligation to its customers to supply an alternator that works efficiently. And that is what Trek did for me, and I am sure they would do it for anyone who buys their products.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top