Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does a Surly KM fit me?

I'm mostly ride roads and I fully understand the fitting of road bikes. The 29er geometry is a little baffling at the moment.

Details: 5'7" 32" inseam. My TTT (measured from centre of seatpost to centre of handlebar) for my road bike is 64cm. The same method measurement for my flat bar MTB is 65cm.

The smallest size KM (16") has a TTT of 576.6mm.

The setup I'm thinking about building is similar to this. I have most of the parts ready, I'm just shopping for a frame to put on.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
It's the KM that's odd.
Small 29"er do often have relatively long top tubes.

The KM is odd in being taller than you expect from a 1", it's really 17.4" measured the way others do. So, less standover clearance.
A drop bar on a KM makes fit even harder. You'll end up with around zero stem length.

I'd advise to consider swept MTB bars, such as the Origin8 Space bar. Not as versatile, at least so in different ways, but IMO more comfortable for up-tempo riding, and working out better for bike fit.

I'm an XL rider, but for a drop bar KM (I tried it on mine), I'd really want a size smaller. You are a good Small KM MTB fit, I'd say, but for a monstercrosser... One you know exactly what you want, I'd have an affordable custom made. With smart geometry, a really short top tube could be managed, while having really agreeable handling.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'd also consider the Surly Cross Check if you are more interested in touring type use rather than full on mountain biking. They have quite low standover heights and can still take up to a 1.8" knobblie or around a 40c tyre with mudguards.

·
Ozark Native
600 Posts
Sutra

this bike is strait smooth in person.:thumbsup:

http://www.konaworld.com/08_sutra_w.htm

also the Honky Tonk is a frame only steel version, but the Exponent is the real deal being that it can run SS or gears.

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Crosscheck and Konas are out of question. I already have the BB7 Road calipers and wheelset. Crosscheck doesn't have disc mount. Only if Surly made CC with disc mount, I'd buy it right now.

This bike will be my:

Monstercross
29er MTB
Touring bike
Winter road bike.

Drevil: What's the stem length on your KM?

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
mrbubbles said:
Drevil: What's the stem length on your KM?
I don't remember for sure, but I think in that pic it was 100mm. I didn't keep it that way for long since it hurt my back when jumping around :D . I sold both of my Surlys a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Which part of your drop bar measures 64cm - the top or the hood?

I think you might fnd it difficult to find a 29er with a short enough TT (guess it would be ideally about 22 inches for you to have the same overall reach with a "normal" 90 - 110mm stem) to use with drops, especially as you will presumeably want one with some rack eyelets so that you can go touring. One frameset that would meet many of your needs is the On One Inbred which has a much better standover than than the KM. However, the smallest one has a 23" TT.

I don't think you'll find a 29er with a much shorter TT - a G2 Fisher might fit the bill but it would be expensive to convert the full bike to a drop bar bike and you'd have s bouncy fork.

I think the best option is to do what Cloxxi suggests and look at different bars - either something like a Mary or a moustache bar. These effectively shorten the reach, are good for all your purposes and offer lots of hand positions if you wrap the central section with bar tape, so they'd be good for touring. Some of them (maybe the On One Mungo) even take road levers.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I measured the centre of the top. The standover for KM is no biggie. My unproportionally long leg for my height helps in the standover area, but it doesn't help for the TT length.

The Inbred is nice, but it doesn't have a second water bottle mount (which can be easily remedied). But I really like the chainstay disc mount.

Inbred is excellent option as well. Except the goddamn TT. I'll have to find a way to compensate by riser stems or really really short stems. Any suggestions on bars that will fit Campagnolo Ergos?

Dang. This is frustrating. :madman:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's a much better setup of what I'm shooting for. How will it affect handling if I put a 70mm stem on there?

·
Registered
358 Posts
I tried road bars on my KM for a few months. Had to use a high-rise 75mm stem to make it comfortable. Felt the handling with the short stem was too weird with the big 29er wheel. I've also been looking for a 29er frame to use drop bars.

The short version of the Roadrat might be worth checking out... http://www.cotic.co.uk/roadrat/

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Roadrat looks good. Tire clearance is not wide enough. It looks to be the same frame I can get locally for the same price in True Temper OX tubing instead of standard cromoly.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You could look into short reach drop bars to slightly shorten the reach to the hoods - may Deda Shallow, Salsa Bell Lap or Salsa Poco.

It seems pretty hard to find a frame to do what you want. To be honest I think you need to consider what the major use is going to be. If you are going to need tyres bigger than 1.8s for most of the riding you plan to do then get a 29er frame and either rethink your bar and gearing choices (e.g. use bar ends on some moustache bars instead of ergos) or acceptthe weird handling that might result with drop bars. If you are mainly going to use it for touring or monstercross then get a roadrat and accept that you will have less rubber for your mountain biking.

One final option which is only partially helpful, since they're not available in the US, is the singular peregrine. Clearance for a python 2.0 in the back and racing raplph 2.25 in the front, disc specific, full front and rear rack mounts and three waterbottle mounts. Smallest one has a 54cm TT and they are built for drop bars. http://www.singularcycles.blogspot.com/

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
I think with a few minutes in BikeCAD from www.bikeforest.com , I could "design" a short enough monstercrosser with agreeable handling and room for some decent stem length.
Just follow Fisher's G2 basic angles, fork offset, and perhaps even take it a little step further. For instance : 69.5º HTA, 55mm fork offset, and the shortest top tube/ seat tube angle combination that doesn't cause bad toe overlap.
For around $1000 for frame and fork, it would be in your preferred color, disc or V ready, with the rack and fender braze-ons you prefer.

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
I totally forgot (duh), but I built up my Jamis Exile 29er w/ drop bars when I first got it. It's a small and has a 570mm ETT. I did several hundred miles configured that way, and even a gravel dirt century. No rack mounts (IIRC?), and the steering wasn't anywhere near as nimble as a real road bike, but it being a 29er, you could put on the big tires.

I really dig this bike.

BTW, I've changed the bars to Jones a while back. The siren song of rocks was too loud to ignore, and drop bars and tech stuff is too much for my back :D

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Drevil, what's the stem length you got on there? If the total cockpit is a little longer than mine, I could make KM work with a 80mm riser stem.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I'm your height and ride a Monocog 29er with dirt drops. I have the 15" frame and use a 75mm stem. I think the 16" Surly would work great for what you're looking for. I also have a 52cm Cross Check and it is a versatile bike, but toe overlap is a pain in the ass off road. You may also look into a Rawland frameset. I don't think they are shipping yet, but it should be soon.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
momentum... said:
One final option which is only partially helpful, since they're not available in the US, is the singular peregrine. Clearance for a python 2.0 in the back and racing raplph 2.25 in the front, disc specific, full front and rear rack mounts and three waterbottle mounts. Smallest one has a 54cm TT and they are built for drop bars. https://www.singularcycles.blogspot.com/
Very helpful. Close enough to what I'm looking for.

I have narrow the frame choice down to this.

Peregrine
Karate Monkey
Rektek Tactical (True Temper OX steel or Tange Prestige)

For those of you who don't know about RekTek, it's a local brand (I'm in Vancouver, BC). Very similar to Peregrine with same tire clearance. Only missing a third waterbottle mount (not really needed) but it has chainstay disc mount like Inbred.

Here's the geometry for Tactical.

My only gripe with his frameset is the really tall headtube (I can live with that) and I prefer the look of traditional geometry frame.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Be happy with the tall head tube if you want a monstercross where you ride the drops. It doesn't state fork length, so if it's short, you need the height from the HT.
Looks like a good option if such tires fit. Try one for size to check how bad the toe clearance is.
Do you have more info on it for us, pics and prices?

·
Registered
358 Posts
That's interesting about Rektek... i knew they made ti mtb frames about 15yrs ago, but haven't seen or heard anything since.
Can't find their website... do they have one?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts