Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my bike a couple days ago and it's been riding great. The handlebars are Funn Fatboy. After going over a few minor bumps (nothing more than 8-9 inches high) I heard a noise like something rolling around inside the bar. So I pulled out the plug at the end and found a screw inside about 1.5 inches long that takes a 3mm allen key. Looking inside the handlebar with a flashlight, I can see where the screw fits, but I don't have an allen key long enough to put it back in. And I have no idea what it does; it fits in almost right where the bar bends downward towards the stem, but from the outside the handlebar looks like it's all one piece.

Anyone know what the screw was or should be holding, and if it's important?

·
Yo.
465 Posts
The part that the screw would go into - welded to the inside of the bar (unlikely) or separate (like an expansion plug)?

What does the bar look like from the other side? Same setup, or empty?

If it looks the same, then maybe the thing is some sort of reinforcement/vibration absorber. Never heard of such a thing personally, but that'd be my guess if it looks like the things actually belong in there. Call Funn to double-check, and then call your LBS; if the bike's only a couple of days old, this should be a free fix and not be regarded as your first free tune-up.

If it's empty, someone might be having a little fun at your expense by shoving an expansion plug into the bar, then backing out the screw until it's literally hanging by a thread - sort of a ticking time bomb of annoyance.

HTH.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.