Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Tasty Lobster!

Tasty Lobster! Great color too. How do you like the Roval wheels? Tubeless?

Put some water bottle cages on it and lets do a loop from Santa Cruz up to Big Basin and back this weekend.........by way of Empire Grade.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jms said:
Tasty Lobster! Great color too. How do you like the Roval wheels? Tubeless?

Put some water bottle cages on it and lets do a loop from Santa Cruz up to Big Basin and back this weekend.........by way of Empire Grade.
Yeah, I dig the color as well. The Rovals are super stiff. Running them with tubes for now.

I had been riding a 57CM Bianchi Axis which was too small for me prior to this thing. I was sick of getting beaten up on the donwhill and I had some extra money (thanks to Mr. Cebedo) so I told Paul I wanted something that was less race bike and more winter trail/mixed terrain/touring bike...a mountain bikers "road bike". This is what he came up with. Still need to dial in stem length and steerer height but it feels awesome already. I got Paul brakes on there too which means the bike actually stops!

JMS even if I could do that ride this weekend, you are an animal and I have no doubt you would destroy me. It definitely will see some Big Basin time soon though. I'm also thinking about a silly little ride through Nisene-DeLaVeaga-Henry Cowell-Pogonip-UCSC-Wilder and maybe Big Basin via road. Got any other suggestions for remote Aptos hills road riding? The more dirt the better.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
How about

Carl Hungus said:
Got any other suggestions for remote Aptos hills road riding? The more dirt the better.
How about over the top from Aptos, along Highland to Mt Bache, Summit, down to Mt Madonna and back through Corralitos to Aptos?

Dang! If you change your mind, I was thinking about doing this:

I love Kelly's Bakery on the west side of Santa Cruz! I love riding my cross bike @ Big Basin. And since most of the trails are going to be a mess @ N. Cal. for a few weeks, it seems a perfect time to break out the cross bike for a rain bike ride this Sunday 1/24.

Here's my plan:

Roll from Kelly's @ 9am.
Up through Wilder to Empire Grade
Up Empire to the teleportation device
Big Basin
Gazos Cr. Rd. out to Cloverdale Rd. [or not]
Highway 1 back to Santa Cruz

I'd love some company, preferably someone big and strong that I can shamelessly wheelsuck for mile after mile, back down the coast to Santa Cruz and Kelly's.

C'mon it'll be an adventure:D

·
Fireball in the Night
1,624 Posts
jms said:
Here's my plan:
Roll from Kelly's @ 9am.
Up through Wilder to Empire Grade
Up Empire to the teleportation device
< zoinks! >
for those of you following along online, this is where things can become tricky.
I'll help you out. Here's how to identify the entrances to the teleportation devices
currently servicing the area:

Rexxx

·
Ariolimax columbianus
1,635 Posts
Carl Hungus said:
Yeah, I dig the color as well. The Rovals are super stiff. Running them with tubes for now.

I had been riding a 57CM Bianchi Axis which was too small for me prior to this thing. I was sick of getting beaten up on the donwhill and I had some extra money (thanks to Mr. Cebedo) so I told Paul I wanted something that was less race bike and more winter trail/mixed terrain/touring bike...a mountain bikers "road bike". This is what he came up with. Still need to dial in stem length and steerer height but it feels awesome already. I got Paul brakes on there too which means the bike actually stops!

JMS even if I could do that ride this weekend, you are an animal and I have no doubt you would destroy me. It definitely will see some Big Basin time soon though. I'm also thinking about a silly little ride through Nisene-DeLaVeaga-Henry Cowell-Pogonip-UCSC-Wilder and maybe Big Basin via road. Got any other suggestions for remote Aptos hills road riding? The more dirt the better.
sweet bike...can you give up the geometry numbers...or just kinda talk about how different the frame is from one of paul's stock cx frames. heavier tubing, longer chainstays, headtube length, tire clearance, etc. just curious cause hunter's buildin me somethin real similar right now.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
nativeson said:
sweet bike...can you give up the geometry numbers...or just kinda talk about how different the frame is from one of paul's stock cx frames. heavier tubing, longer chainstays, headtube length, tire clearance, etc. just curious cause hunter's buildin me somethin real similar right now.
I asked Paul to use Reynolds 853, which he did for the TT and DT. Truth be told, I did this for no other reason than the first time I saw a Rock Lobster back in the mid-90's, it had a Reynolds 853 sticker on it and some of the Lemond's at the shop I worked at back then were also 853 bikes. I always thought they were cool but I couldn't afford that level of bike back in those days. Now I can.

The rest of the frame is a combination of a couple Columbus tubes which Paul uses for standard steel CX frames (I'm pretty sure on this but don't quote me). I told him it was going to be less of a race bike and more of a mixed terrain bike. This and the fact that I weigh about 175-180 lbs. means he didn't use the most light weight tubing at his disposal. The bike comes in at 20lbs on the nose without pedals (20.05lbs on an electronic scale).

I also told him I wanted something that was less twitchy than what I had been riding. As a result I think the tubing in the fork is a little beefier than normal, but not the beefiest he uses either. I've got Michelin Mud 2 (32cm) tires on there now and that's about as big as I can go...it's not a monster cross.

As far as geometry goes, I don't have the #s in front of me but it's custom. I'm 6'2" with a longer torso/shorter inseam than most 6'2" guys. Head tube is a bit longer than "normal" I believe. As I mentioned, I still need to dial in stem length and steer tube/spacers.

Personally, I think you can't go wrong with either Mr. Hunter or Mr. Sadoff (along with quite a few other NorCal builders). Both of them have been doing this a while, which I think is very important. When you look at the quality of Paul's work, his experience level and the performance of his bikes (especially on the CX course) AND the fact that he is less expensive than some of his competitors...it was a no brainer for me.

Attachments

·
horn doggie
847 Posts
Carl Hungus said:

What dimensions/angles did Paul end up with? I had a similar bike built in 2002 by Bernie Mikkelsen. I can ride forever on the thing, and love its single track prowess.

Nice bike. :thumbsup:

EDIT: I see you addressed that a bit, above.

·
horn doggie
847 Posts
A great tire for this sort of use is a WTB Interwolf in 38c. Fairly large are volume, pretty light, and roll really fast. Save the 32s for your next race, if and when that comes. Once on the Interwolfs you may never look at a smaller tire again...except to race

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
beaverbiker said:
that is a super super sweet looking frame. love the color combos.
Thanks homie. Picked the colors myself. The faux panels were my idea as well. Pulled the red King headset out of my friends box o' parts, put it on their and said "hey, that looks pretty good actually." I'm going to get a red King BB to match. Powder Coating my Maas Bros. in Livermore. Clear Coating by some dude in Santa Cruz.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ARider said:
Word to the wise: if you really want to run that star wheel offroad, invest in some spokes.

Threaded on each end can be hard to find w/o a spoke cutter.
Been riding the Rovals off road for quite some time now on a different bike. No issues so far, but yeah I know what you're saying.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.