Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having to work this morning meant I was to miss the ride I set up for Fox Forest at 10am. I got home after 11am and ate some "brunch" and fueled up for a ride in the Minks. I haven't been riding but a handfull of times since September so any ride was going to be a challenge. I organized all my winter gear for the first time this season and gave the Fetish the once over.

My biggest question was if I had any of my 33:18 legs left from summer season. I first set out to go west from the house on an old town road, this idea was quickly abandoned as no type of traffic on the road be it snowmobile or snowshoes saw me braking through the crust easily. I turned around and hit the dirt road, freshly plowed with snow and ice patches and only sanded on hills and corners. I made the quick ride to the pond and couldn't resist, I did a few laps on the pond as a warm up careful to stay away from inlets and outlets. I was paying way too much attention to how I felt and how the bike was working to enjoy the fantastic views of the Minks.

After the warm up I hit the road and climbed to it's peak and then decended the next 1/2 mile. I decided to ride up into an active logging area on an old road that had been packed down due to the logging operation. Fresh moose track traveled my direction for a short bit before cutting off into the woods I was too late to see the sight of a good sized moose. Once I hit the log landing I traveled beyond it on the old road breaking through some stream crossings made me more attentive as I had a close call with the stem of the bike.
Some eager snowmobilers became my friends as I found hard packed trail under the fresh inch of snow. The track under the new snow was mostly ice making for a good ride.

As I crossed some fresh partridge track I noticed that the hill on the right had been cleared this year by the loggers, I thought about climbing to the peak to see the views that had been opened up. As I was about to do that I notice a new trail on the left that the snowmobiles had traveled, view? trail? view? trail? i'll see the view in the spring. As I started down the new trail it rode well, mostly downhill and a lot of fun. It wasn't a long time before I found myself in someones back yard, I knew where I had to be but the house didn't look familiar. After a little closer inspection it was the house of someone I know with siding that I had not seen before. There was another trail from behind the house that I didn't take but now wish I had, I found were it comes out which is at another friends house.

Not taking the other trail I jumped out onto the road and decended to a cross road and then started the climb home. For the most part my 33:18 legs were with me, there was one hill walked on the way home but I have never climbed it with this bike anyway. After reaching the summit of the road home I decended, I reached the pond and again couldn't resist. I rode out and started doing laps around the pond again only this time on the second lap I stopped at the south end and looked north to the Minks. I stood there for what seemed like an hour staring at my hood. The hills are lined up side by side and Stewarts peak looks up over the shoulders of the others. It's times like these that I am thankful to live in the middle of nowhere. Another 1/4 mile from the pond and I am home, the bike is clean, the legs are relaxing and I think it's time to crack one open and say Happy New Year.

·
Registered
35 Posts
wow that sounds like a really fu ride, exept for the uphill part, haa it might be fun for you, not me! haha do you live in maine? i dont know mink area, later
adam

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mtArider55 said:
wow that sounds like a really fu ride, exept for the uphill part, haa it might be fun for you, not me! haha do you live in maine? i dont know mink area, later
adam
Yes the Mink Hills are in Maine, between Frenchville and Ft Kent.

·
Registered
35 Posts
wow thats awsome, i love it up there, the mountain, forest, so quiet.. i am glad there is some riding up there! You the only rier up there? Is there a big town near you, i dont know hw big fort kent it.. never been, have fun!

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mtArider55 said:
wow thats awsome, i love it up there, the mountain, forest, so quiet.. i am glad there is some riding up there! You the only rier up there? Is there a big town near you, i dont know hw big fort kent it.. never been, have fun!
Madawaska and Edmundston is near. There are a lot of kaybecwha riders here.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
radair said:
It sounds like Presque Isle has a lot of good stuff going on, too. But you probably don't make it that far south, eh?
I went down there with the kaybecwha, kinda boring trails, no stunts or hucks anywhere to be found.

·
customized
3,123 Posts
minkhiller said:
Yes the Mink Hills are in Maine, between Frenchville and Ft Kent.

I went down there with the kaybecwha, kinda boring trails, no stunts or hucks anywhere to be found.
DHL lose your bike again?

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Severum said:
DHL lose your bike again?
lol, if that were to happen I would voluntarily admit myself to the state hospital, to use them again would not be normal behaviour.

·
Black Lion
4,431 Posts
minkhiller said:
lol, if that were to happen I would voluntarily admit myself to the state hospital, to use them again would not be normal behaviour.
nobody mention the "D" word!

Greg

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yogreg said:
nobody mention the "D" word!

Greg
That's ok, I got some revenge in November. I was meeting another rider at Macy's in Bedford, I saw one of those drop off boxes in the corner of the parking lot. 5 cups of coffee and a step ladder was able to afford me a little revenge. ;)

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Severum said:
Was that cause you weren't tall enough to reach the opening?
Maybe Robert Parish could do it.

·
Black Lion
4,431 Posts
minkhiller said:
That's ok, I got some revenge in November. I was meeting another rider at Macy's in Bedford, I saw one of those drop off boxes in the corner of the parking lot. 5 cups of coffee and a step ladder was able to afford me a little revenge. ;)
revenge is sweet.
(even in small doses)

Greg

·
fried stuff with cheese
1,293 Posts
I guess my laptop getting lost was a small blessing. The hold up may have been just enough time for it to escape Glen's golden shower on it's way back to Dell via DHL.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts