Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wow! I read PJ's thread about riding Hole In The Ground and knew I had to be there. Hadn't seen PJ in many years, and was also anxious to ride HitG for the first time this year.

John looks good (as you can see, his hair's getting long!), and I met his beau, Jenny, who is a pretty good rider. Some of the rocky goodness tested her mettle, but more often than not, if she didn't make it the first time, she'd hop right back on & get 'er done. :thumbsup:

We also hooked up with several others, all who were strange(rs) to me. Only one other guy on a singlespeed, and I was able to put my new Special-ed Rockhopper SS 29er to the real, rocky test. It did ok (and I'm getting used to how it takes the corners), but the fork (RockShox Tora) was overwhelmed by the terrain. It felt like when you're riding at night with a sh!tty light and you outrun the beam, you know?

We lost several people along the way- Joni had to press on due to time constraints, and a couple of the guys had no interest in seeing the first little lake (can't remember the name of the damn thing!), so they continued on as well. Phooey on them! :p

On to the pics. Hopefully, PJ will post up a few of his after they get back to Utah. :cool:

Our fearless leader:

Couple of rocks out there.

Dug did a digger just after this was shot, but luckily had his iPhone in his jesey pocket to break the fall. :D

Jodi in the corner pocket.

The two guys who rode on- can't remember their names, sorry. The posterized pic is the guy on the SS. It was a little blurry, so I messed with it in Photoshop.

Jenny in the trees. Nice socks!

And these socks are even better!! :D

Dug, close.

Dug was kind enough to offer to take a few of me with my camera. Thanks!

More of Jenny.
RTIL (rockier than it looks)

Dug, with Photo-J in hot pursuit.

Unidentified rider from another group- we hit this snow drift and there was discussion of turning back. :D

PJ, diffused.

Fleur & Jenny.

Riding though an Xmas tree farm.

PJ with a view.

Shoulda cut them bars! :thumbsup:

And last but not least, Jenny gets wet. :eek: I think I got wetter than she did here. :p

All in all, a wonderful ride with good people. Worth the 6-hour drive for me (and Dug drove up even farther, coming from San Jose :eekster: ) Thanks to PJ & Jenny for lunch & the beers. We highly recomment the Summit restaurant for the eatiing/drinking experience afterwards.

·
Fartographer
1,847 Posts
Jenni and I stopped in Elko yesterday to ride the Rubies and didn't make it home until almost 2 AM. I do have photos and I will share them as soon as I can, Gary. It was really great to see you. That was a nice surprise. I'm also glad you were there to keep us from getting lost. My refrain from this whole trip was, "I don't remember this part..."

The two guys from Reno were Jim and Mike. Mike was on the singlespeed.

More photos to come...

·
Fartographer
1,847 Posts
Couple To Tide You Over

Here are a couple of photos of Pinchy to tide you over until I get caught up a bit on PhotographyREVIEW.com work. I have to say, Hole In The Ground was a lot longer and rockier than I remember. I think the last time I rode it was probably about 8 years ago, though. Riding it on a singlespeed has to be serious punishment.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
How was the riding in the Ruby Mountains?

Photo-John said:
Jenni and I stopped in Elko yesterday to ride the Rubies and didn't make it home until almost 2 AM. I do have photos and I will share them as soon as I can, Gary. It was really great to see you. That was a nice surprise. I'm also glad you were there to keep us from getting lost. My refrain from this whole trip was, "I don't remember this part..."

The two guys from Reno were Jim and Mike. Mike was on the singlespeed.

More photos to come...
I'm heading that way, and your post has my intreats piqued.

BTW, we did HITG the day before your group, that trail sure does make for some good times.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Photo-John said:
Here are a couple of photos of Pinchy to tide you over until I get caught up a bit on PhotographyREVIEW.com work. I have to say, Hole In The Ground was a lot longer and rockier than I remember. I think the last time I rode it was probably about 8 years ago, though. Riding it on a singlespeed has to be serious punishment.
Oooohhh, ahhhh-some! I have to say those 2 pics of me are way worth you hauling all that heavy camera gear around. :thumbsup:

·
-_-
4,749 Posts
:eek: John's a Hippie? Must be that mountain air getting to him! :p

Nice, wish I could've gone but FWIW I was dead tired from work anyhow. Next time, or I visit you! :D

FWIW, people can always visit and poach in on the Photo-John page. :cool:

Photo-John said:
..Riding it on a singlespeed has to be serious punishment.
Yep..try it some time. At least with a fork though, I'll never hit that again without some plush up front.

·
-_-
4,749 Posts
wolfy said:
Nice pics. And nice riding with you all! You like the socks?

-M
Man, I missed out on all the Hippie goodness? :thumbsup:

What's up man, you went, lemme guess, those are your "Bacon Saves".. I'm not even surprised, amused though. :D

Maybe start up a new sock ride so we can get a couple of the ladies to rock some fishnets? :D

·
dirty hippy mountainbiker
1,146 Posts
I'd be happy to meet up for a trail ride and sock swap. I have a whole box to unload. Sock guy makes you buy 12 dozen pairs as a minimum!

Maybe we could do Brockway to Watson Lake or something.

-M

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
wolfy said:
I'd be happy to meet up for a trail ride and sock swap. I have a whole box to unload. Sock guy makes you buy 12 dozen pairs as a minimum!

Maybe we could do Brockway to Watson Lake or something.

-M
I would love a couple of pairs of L/XL and would buy them from you.

If you want to sell a couple, you can reach me at swagking at hotmail dot com

Thanks-

Gary

·
Medium?
6,728 Posts
Great pictactatures. I'm going to be up in that 'hood next weekend if anyone wants to drink some of my beer. Up Bowman Lake Rd, 1st camp at Bowman Lake. Poop-brown FJ40, new Toyota Tundra and a blue Nissan crew cab with a roof rack..

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.