Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my 29er, having ridden a large-framed odl 26er hard tail and a rather good Scott rc-20 full sus XC bike.

I don't know whether it is just the newness of the 29er, but I've not even touched the 26ers for 3 months now. It just does everythng I want it to do, rides so well, soaks up the trails and has certainly changed my riding style - it seems to be a bit more flowing and 'monster truck' now. Any surfers will know what I mean when I say it is more like riding a longboard (which I do) than a shortboard - and I really like it.

Do the less-rabid 29er owners find this perpetuates? Did you keep your 26ers and never ride them, or do you go back? Given I am 6'7" tall, I think this may be more influential as the 29er is more suited to me. I prefer to ride a bike to death than sell, but this may be the best option. Do you ever go back?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
You will get a lot of different answers...

I guess I am "less rabid". But I am finding myself becoming a one bike guy. I not only like to ride my 29er exclusively, but I am also using it to replace my road riding duties.

There are guys that try it and dont even like it (29er), still others go back and forth.

Glad you are finding something you like. Riding is good, loving it is better.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I will keep both...

I will never go back to 26" wheels for my geared hard tail or my full rigid single speed. There is no comparison for me when it comes to steam rolling through rough single track on a rigid bike with the bigger wheels. I am 6'-4" tall, so that may also have something to do with my bias. I sold my 2006 Specialized hard tail soon after getting my first 29er. No reason to let it just sit there and collect dust and I know for a fact that I would never go back to the 26" wheeled hard tail. I do still own a 26" wheeled 5" travel trail bike that still gets ridden (just a matter of selecting the right tool for the job) and it will stay in the garage.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Don't know if I'm "rabid", but I got rid of my 26" MTBs after I got my second 29er (I did keep my original 26" MTB...got it back in the eighties...for purely sentimental reasons). For me it was all about the FIT of the larger-wheeled bikes. I'm about 6'3" and I never really felt comfortable on a 26" MTB. The 29ers were a revelation; I finally found a MTB that fit me perfectly. All the other attributes of the larger wheels, discussed at length here by the more "rabid" 29er riders, may or may not be real...but, for me, the fit is real. I rode a 26" MTB recently and it felt like a toy. In the end, I saw no reason to keep my 26ers...I sold one (at a loss) and I gave the other to a friend. So I guess that makes me rabid.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
I will keep my 26" wheeled 6x5 full-suspension bike with a Z150FRSL in front because I regularly ride trails where such a bike can be fully utilized. For 80% of my riding, however, I will not look back- the Salsa El M is almost always more fun on everything that's not ridiculously technical.
Mike

·
A Surly Maverick
2,709 Posts
Hey TTUK,
I`ve had very similar experiences.I went from a 6/5.5" travel 26er AM bike to a GF 293 4/4" travel 29er XC bike and never looked back(and I`m only 6'2"!).
I MUCH prefer my 29er and am currently (when time allows) building up a 5/5" travel AM 29er.
It`s got to the stage where I`m probably going to sell my 26ers as I just don`t ride them.
Also i find that whenever I see someone toiling along on a 26er that the wheels just look too small.

Guess I`ve got it bad(or should that be GOOD :) ).

ATVB,
Dr FG(UK).

·
Complete Bastard
2,282 Posts
I can't see myself ever riding a 26" bike again. Some friends of mine went back to them, claiming they found it easier to hop big logs and stuff on them but I haven't found that's true. These guys are also shorter, which may be what keeps most of us from going back. I'm 6'2". My wife however, at 5'6" says she would never ride a 26" bike ever again either, so ymmv. But no, I wouldn't switch back. It is like riding a longboard, that's such a good comparison I don't know why it didn't occur to me.

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
TooTallUK said:
I got my 29er, having ridden a large-framed odl 26er hard tail and a rather good Scott rc-20 full sus XC bike.

I don't know whether it is just the newness of the 29er, but I've not even touched the 26ers for 3 months now. It just does everythng I want it to do, rides so well, soaks up the trails and has certainly changed my riding style - it seems to be a bit more flowing and 'monster truck' now. Any surfers will know what I mean when I say it is more like riding a longboard (which I do) than a shortboard - and I really like it.
I'm almost 6'6 and also surf.

My 4 29er's do not ride like longboards...which absolutely bore me to tears.
Longboards paddle heavy, turn slow, and to me, seem to only be useful when the waves are too small to catch and ride on a shortboard.

IMO, the 29er would be more akin to a very stable shortboard. It gives you the stability of a bigger board while still allowing snappy maneuvers and a connected feel.

Think of surfing big waves on a board that is too small. That is a 26" bike.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Padre - get a better board! Mine was custom shaped for me by Tim Mellors, a British craftsman of the art - turns when I want, so fast to paddle - just great. I meant that I feel I 'carve' more when riding the 29er, rather than 'snapping' the turns or anything. The lines feel smoother - less frenetic. 250 lbs can turn a longboard and it is nice to apply a similar flow to riding.
I am glad we feel different things when we ride.

If we were all the same, there would be some damned long queues!

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
TooTallUK said:
Padre - get a better board! Mine was custom shaped for me by Tim Mellors, a British craftsman of the art - turns when I want, so fast to paddle - just great. I meant that I feel I 'carve' more when riding the 29er, rather than 'snapping' the turns or anything. The lines feel smoother - less frenetic. 250 lbs can turn a longboard and it is nice to apply a similar flow to riding.
I am glad we feel different things when we ride.

If we were all the same, there would be some damned long queues!
very true...

i guess we both define "turn" differently....

i think my definition involves fast not slow...

anyway...when I think of turn...this is what comes to my mind...

Attachments

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
I sold all my 26 inch wheeled bikes.

I always recommend to people who ask me about this..."sell the small wheeled bikes now".

I had a couple of them sitting in my workshop that I never rode for months after I got onto the big wheels. It was a waste, and i'm glad that I was able to pass them on to riders who would get some use from them.

For me, the 29'ers do everything I want.

R.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I got rid of all my 26 stuff as it just didn't get ridden. My Matt Chester Ute went to live in the French Alps and I go and visit it annually, it was a great bike but I no longer have any desire to sling a leg over it.
In fact, I think I would probably give up mountain biking rather than have to go back to 26 inch wheels. That probably makes me quite rabid....

·
SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
1,206 Posts
I went 29" and will never go back. Actually, all my 26" stuff is still back in the States and having to ride my wife's old 26" Stumpjumper has really, really made me appreciate how much I loved my bike. I'm waiting for my new Black Sheep and the 2nd coming of my Curtlo.

Your results may vary, but I'm guessing you'll become addicted like the rest of us.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
"Rabid" ???

TooTallUK said:
Rainman - you're one of the rabid dudes ;o)

Thanks for the words tho.
Really ???.

That's strange, I don't think of myself as being "rabid" about 29'ers, just 'enthusiastic' ... :D

I'm like this ... about everything I find to be good. Whether it be a new tool, appliance or whatever... I really appreciate good design and technology.

Sometimes I go for a quick spin on my son's 26'er ... just to remind me why I now ride 29'ers... :D

R.

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
I have a SIR9 single speed with a Reba and a Turner 5-Spot. When I go from the 29er to the Spot, I really don't notice the differences with the wheels all that much, if at all. I do however, really notice the gears and the rear suspension. I am convinced that both the gears and the rear suspension are much much bigger differences than the wheel size. To that end, when I hop on the Turner, I love it as much as I ever have.

I am still looking for that mythical ditch that can be rolled effortlessly on a 29er, but will send you over the bars on a 26er. I suspect such a ditch does not exist.

I cannot tell what it feels like going from a FS geared 26er to a FS geared 29er. I have not done that. What I do know is that 29er is not the coming of the mesiah. When I need to replace the Turner, my decision to get a 26er or a 29er FS will be based on value, fork, wheel and tire options. It will not be based on wheel size. Thus, if the fork, wheel and tire options are the same in two years as they are now, I suspect I will get a 26er.

With that, I am never going to get a 26er hardtail single speed again. I will die taking my 29er single speed to the grave.

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
I am still looking for that mythical ditch that can be rolled effortlessly on a 29er, but will send you over the bars on a 26er. I suspect such a ditch does not exist.
amen, brotha.

for SS, i will never ride 26er again, the 29er just makes life so much easier with one gear. but i still adore my 26er squishies, and will likely run 26er for my next squishy.

·
Bearlike
164 Posts
I'm Bi....

Bi...6er/9er

I went 29, sold off all things 26", I even stopped talking about the "small wheels". But after discovering that 29er SSing was like having open knee surgury with a rusty spoon, I adopted a MUSS for quick SS rides. It's the 29er that gets all the Golden Aspen Singletrack glory.
It is noted that both sizes feel fine to me. The 26er is easily tossed & jumped, just like a BMX bike, but the Big Wheels keep on rollin', smooth as butter...Convoy.

Awww Heck, I'm preachin' to the Choir

to each their own.

I'm gonna go shovel snow

B.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.