Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
asshole roadie
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The stock shock is the Fox Float CTD Performance.

I set the pressure/sag to Fox's instructions and come out about 185 psi (I'm about 200 lbs).

There is no noticeable difference between the Climb and the Trail settings on the shock. Just sitting on it or pumping it a bit in the parking lot, there's no difference. Nor do I feel any difference when riding on the trail. I can tell a difference when putting it in the Descend setting. On the fork (also Fox CTD Performance), the Climb setting nearly locks out the fork.

I never used the Climb setting on the shock much before. However, I moved and can ride to the local trail head which is only about 4 miles away via bike paths, which is how I ended up noticing that Climb and Trail were pretty much the same.

I took it in to the shop for pre-season maintenance and the mechanic said he can't really do much, that he'd have to send it in to Fox which will warranty it if there is a problem. But looking online, I can't really find a definitive answer if this is a malfunction, or if the shock is just that way. I know there are a lot of Anthem owners on here, so I figured I'd ask you. Has anyone here run into this problem? Does your shock act like this, or should I go ahead and have it sent in. Race season starts in a little over a month, so the earlier I get this sorted, the better.

Thanks for any help.

·
thecentralscrutinizer
2,964 Posts
I can tell a slight difference riding in trail versus climb modes. Climb to me feels a bit more efficient when pedaling. I can't really tell a difference when I'm just bouncing on it though.

·
Registered
228 Posts
For what it is worth: I have a 2014 Trance1 29er that has the 'Fox Float CTD Evolution' rear shock and it has a distinct difference in feel between each mode (C-T-D) when riding or when static.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
It could be that your rebound is a bit slow blurring the difference between the modes.

If that mode is not really necessary and the shock works properly I don't see the problem, but you could always have it warrantied. At least they will check it and probably change oil and the seals if they do any work, so the shock will get a free service :)

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
It could be that your rebound is a bit slow blurring the difference between the modes.

If that mode is not really necessary and the shock works properly I don't see the problem, but you could always have it warrantied. At least they will check it and probably change oil and the seals if they do any work, so the shock will get a free service :)
my LBS told me if Fox decide it's not faulty they may charge for the service.
I have a VPP bike with 2014 CDTK shock.
My LBS rep had me compress the susp to the sag point, then bounce down on it, then the T and D platforms are just noticeable.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The stock shock is the Fox Float CTD Performance.

I set the pressure/sag to Fox's instructions and come out about 185 psi (I'm about 200 lbs).

There is no noticeable difference between the Climb and the Trail settings on the shock. Just sitting on it or pumping it a bit in the parking lot, there's no difference. Nor do I feel any difference when riding on the trail. I can tell a difference when putting it in the Descend setting. On the fork (also Fox CTD Performance), the Climb setting nearly locks out the fork.
I have the same shock on my Anthem 1 (2015) and about the same amount of air and weight. There is a definate difference between the three settings. As you would expect, climb is very stiff, trail is so so and desend is very soft - similar to the front fork. My wife's CTD EVO is almost locked out completely on climb mode. I haven't played with the rebound on mine at all because it seems to be good right now...

·
asshole roadie
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. The shock is getting shipped to Fox today. This will give me an excuse to spend some more quality time with the singlespeed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got a new 2014 Anthem Advanced 1 27.5 a week ago and have the same doubts about Climb mode. Pushing down the bike in Climb and Trail mode give the same response, with Decend being noticebly softer. I queried it with the LBS and the reply from the Fox service centre was, that the shock is set up like that for the model of bike and is supposed to be like that.
When I tried the same with an AX29 in the shop, there was a marked difference.

Was there an improvement after receiving the schock back from Fox?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Results ?

Love Commander, I'm with TB, I would like to hear the results you find after receiving the shock back from Fox. I am still loving :) my CTD Evolution shock and fork.

·
Registered
3 Posts
JP, I sent me my shok to the local Fox agent here in South Africa. It came back with a note, that it is working perfectly and is tuned to the OEM's specs. They are happy to retune it for my account.
This lets me wonder what Giant was thinking when they came up with these specs...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello guys, I know this is a super old thread, but I have the same question as the OP and I'm hoping after all this years, someone got to a conclusion.

I just bought an used DB Mason FS with a Float CTD Performance shock and I cannot feel any difference between modes. I've set sag correctly and even took all the air out of the shook yo feel the damping directly (obviously off the bike, not riding) and the modes feel the same to me. Turning the rebound knob does make a noticeable difference.

So, anyone knows the solution to this? Most common opinion is that internal pressure is not set correctly (not air, but nitrogen in internal floating piston).

Can anyone please help?

Thank you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello guys, I know this is a super old thread, but I have the same question as the OP and I'm hoping after all this years, someone got to a conclusion.

I just bought an used DB Mason FS with a Float CTD Performance shock and I cannot feel any difference between modes. I've set sag correctly and even took all the air out of the shook yo feel the damping directly (obviously off the bike, not riding) and the modes feel the same to me. Turning the rebound knob does make a noticeable difference.

So, anyone knows the solution to this? Most common opinion is that internal pressure is not set correctly (not air, but nitrogen in internal floating piston).

Can anyone please help?

Thank you.

I'm going through the same thoughts with my 2015 Trance 1 but with RockShox unit. Switching between the modes, I really don't feel much of a difference, nor can I achieve total 100% lockout (moves a touch). Anyone know if Rockshox will warranty their older units?

·
thecentralscrutinizer
2,964 Posts
There is not a night and day difference in the settings. Too, the climb mode does not fully lockout the shock.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm going through the same thoughts with my 2015 Trance 1 but with RockShox unit. Switching between the modes, I really don't feel much of a difference, nor can I achieve total 100% lockout (moves a touch). Anyone know if Rockshox will warranty their older units?
I'm new to MTBiking, so unfortunately I have no experience with RockShox units. My Fox Float CTD Performance shock specifies climbing mode is not a lockout, so I'm not xpecting that, but I was hoping to feel a difference between modes, as I can clearly feel in the fork.

Anyway, thanks for answering, let's hope someone has some more information on this.

·
Registered
503 Posts

Can anyone please help?

Thank you.
Does the CTD lever flip really easily between its positions? I think I have read that is one symptom of low IFP pressure.

Does the damping knob effect the shock behavior? Are you getting a lot of noise and does the shock not feel quite right?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does the CTD lever flip really easily between its positions? I think I have read that is one symptom of low IFP pressure.

Does the damping knob effect the shock behavior? Are you getting a lot of noise and does the shock not feel quite right?
Hi, phantoj.

The lever feels good when switching between positions, It doesn't flip really easily.

The rebound damping knob results in a very noticeable difference, it's the compression damping lever, which doesn't make any.

The shock makes a little squeaking, but I've read it's normal. It does feel OK to me, it's just that it feels the same in all three CTD positions.

Unfortunately I'm a beginner in MTB and this is my first adjustable suspension, so I have no reference points.

Thanks for answering.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hi, phantoj.

The lever feels good when switching between positions, It doesn't flip really easily.

The rebound damping knob results in a very noticeable difference, it's the compression damping lever, which doesn't make any.

The shock makes a little squeaking, but I've read it's normal. It does feel OK to me, it's just that it feels the same in all three CTD positions.

Unfortunately I'm a beginner in MTB and this is my first adjustable suspension, so I have no reference points.

Thanks for answering.
I wouldn't worry about it, then, ride it a bit more and see if you can see a difference after a while.

I have this shock on my bike, but it has a PUSH sticker on it, so I suppose it's been modified. Mine acts like it has air in the damping oil...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it, then, ride it a bit more and see if you can see a difference after a while.

I have this shock on my bike, but it has a PUSH sticker on it, so I suppose it's been modified. Mine acts like it has air in the damping oil...
Hi phantoj,

I took my CTD shock to a small and unknown (to me) service shop. The person who worked on it, said he could not find anything wrong. For the next service I'll take it to a very reputable shop, so they will for sure tell me if there is something wrong, or if that's the normal behavior. I'll keep posting any findings.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts