Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apple has released a statement about using their phones on a motorcycle handlebars.

Apparently the kind of amplitude and frequency of vibrations generated by some motorcycles can damage the mechanics of the camera.
(The shake reduction OIS system that prevents blurry pics when the camera shutter is slow)

This is specifically talking about motorbikes but I have a suspicion that the kind of stuff mountain bikes do cannot be helpful to the systems.

Just a heads up, that Apple is trying to cover their backsides so when your iOS device camera fails they can point to this and say they suggested you not do this.

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,974 Posts
Apple has released a statement about using their phones on a motorcycle handlebars.

Apparently the kind of amplitude and frequency of vibrations generated by some motorcycles can damage the mechanics of the camera.
(The shake reduction OIS system that prevents blurry pics when the camera shutter is slow)

This is specifically talking about motorbikes but I have a suspicion that the kind of stuff mountain bikes do cannot be helpful to the systems.

Just a heads up, that Apple is trying to cover their backsides so when your iOS device camera fails they can point to this and say they suggested you not do this.
This is not necessarily a new thing. The gyroscope in my 6S Max crapped the bed. According to Apple, the cause was from prolonged use while biking, while it was in my CamelBak!

I am surprised something as intricate as an iPhone is as robust as it is. It’s no surprise to me people are having problems after sustained use mounted to a bar. I’m shocked the problems are not more widespread. Definitely not an intended use, as far as I’m concerned. A use at your own risk situation.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,877 Posts
This is not necessarily a new thing. The gyroscope in my 6S Max crapped the bed. According to Apple, the cause was from prolonged use while biking, while it was in my CamelBak!

I am surprised something as intricate as an iPhone is as robust as it is. It’s no surprise to me people are having problems after sustained use mounted to a bar. I’m shocked the problems are not more widespread. Definitely not an intended use, as far as I’m concerned. A use at your own risk situation.
keep drinking that koolaid

• Haha
Reactions: Harold

·
Registered
Ibis Ripley V4
816 Posts

Yeah, my iPhone X has not lived an easy life but somehow keeps on going.

It has dropped off the handlebars on my gravel bike a few times (finally moved to a Elemnt Bolt instead), lived in hip pouches or a frame bag on MTB rides...

I might upgrade to the newest phone as this one has lived a good life and I like to keep an old phone as a backup/kids cell phone, so I want to move it down the line before it bites the dust.

·
since 4/10/2009
32,422 Posts
I mean it's kinda obvious that that kind of shaking will start causing problems eventually.

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,974 Posts
Yeah, my iPhone X has not lived an easy life but somehow keeps on going.

It has dropped off the handlebars on my gravel bike a few times (finally moved to a Elemnt Bolt instead), lived in hip pouches or a frame bag on MTB rides...

I might upgrade to the newest phone as this one has lived a good life and I like to keep an old phone as a backup/kids cell phone, so I want to move it down the line before it bites the dust.
I’m looking at the new one hoping for emergency sat texting.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Android - The phone that sets the standard that Apple copies. It always amazes me when people wait for hours to get the latest Apple phone that does things my old S8 has been doing for the past 2 years. I ride with it on my handle bars, drop it, crash with it, doesn't even have a screen protector and still doesn't have a scratch on it.

·
Registered
34 Posts

why not get an apple watch?

·
Registered
Ibis Ripley V4
816 Posts
Android - The phone that sets the standard that Apple copies. It always amazes me when people wait for hours to get the latest Apple phone that does things my old S8 has been doing for the past 2 years. I ride with it on my handle bars, drop it, crash with it, doesn't even have a screen protector and still doesn't have a scratch on it.

Every android based device I've ever owned lasted about a year and a half and it was dead. I know I'm FAR from the only person with the same exact experience.

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,974 Posts
Pick your device and be a dick about it 👍

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
40,768 Posts
I have the new IPhone Pro and no problems. I've always kept my phone on my shorts pocket. Never had an issue with any phone I’ve had prior as I’ve always had them in my shorts pocket. Many iPhone models and Android. On the bars would be way more vibration than on body though.

·
Registered
Ibis Ripley V4
816 Posts
I have the new IPhone Pro and no problems. I've always kept my phone on my shorts pocket. Never had an issue with any phone I’ve had prior as I’ve always had them in my shorts pocket. Many iPhone models and Android. On the bars would be way more vibration than on body though.

I keep a good layer of fat to cushion my electronic devices...

·
Registered
Ibis Ripley V4
816 Posts
Above read on Pixel 2 that works much better than the day I bought it.
And I have several Apple products that are at least twice the age of that Pixel that I can read all of this and reply from without issue. The failure rate of Android based stuff was simply too high for me.

Unless something bad happened to one of my Apple devices (like 100% my fault kind of stuff), not a single one has stopped working because of software or Apple related issues. Heck, even my 1st gen MacBook Pro Retina that I dropped and smashed the screen on two years ago still works perfectly fine (when I plug it into an external display).

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
"A possible reason to skip using your phone on the handlebars for GPS"

Ummm... focus on the ride, not the phone?

·
Registered
Talentless dirt-roadie
744 Posts
I am now worried that my version one iPhone SE will suffer from high-frequency vibrations when I am going uphill at 60 mph on my Stumpjumper Evo.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts