Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Trying to find Flow
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the quest for saving that last stubborn gram, some people have devised many creative ideas that have either been brilliant... or dangerous, expensive, impractical and just downright silly. Which ones spring to mind for you?

I remember seeing some rather crude, DIY carbon fiber chainrings that I recall thinking that I would NEVER purchase. I'm sure there are many more that will spring to mind.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
tires!

Patchito said:
In the quest for saving that last stubborn gram, some people have devised many creative ideas that have either been brilliant... or dangerous, expensive, impractical and just downright silly. Which ones spring to mind for you?

I remember seeing some rather crude, DIY carbon fiber chainrings that I recall thinking that I would NEVER purchase. I'm sure there are many more that will spring to mind.
not exactly what you are looking for but anyway:

some tires are ultralight but just no MTB tires anymore...good to get an ice-cream or burger down the street but no offroad riding with these tires. well - some will say they are great - i don't. but loosing big chunks of weight at once is tempting, isn't it?

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
aluminium brake pad bolts

I'd vote for the maxxlite "tires" but you do save a lot of weight by using them
(until you have to carry the whole bike, of course). Oh, it is tempting.

These aluminium brake pad bolts were bent just from aligning the brake pads!
It also saves only 5-6g over titanium bolts. There are better aluminium bolts
out there (I've been told) but this specific model is for suicidal riders only.
(normal steel bolts shown on the right for comparison)

·
Trying to find Flow
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Patchito said:

thought of some more:

- voiding the warranty on your bike by dremeling away disc brake stubs. (Hey, if a few grams is THAT important to you....)

- SIDs.......actually, trolling around looking for a 1998 SID because that was the lightest ever made supposedly :rolleyes:

- the ultra-rare, ultra-expensive Odyssey titanium chain

- aluminum stem bolts, a technique that could only be implemented by a Euro who doesn't wear a helmet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Drilling holes in the frame??

There was apost a while back about some guy who took a Cannondale frame and drilled it full of holes to lighten it up. I can't find the photo, but in my book that has to be the stupidest weight saving idea I have ever seen!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I don't no if this counts but during my tech weenie norba days I actually drank................................... light beer!!!That was the low point in my effort to save weight on the bike, something I'm not proud of. Guiness please!

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've seen quite a few...

...moronic things when it comes to light weight stuff, but the absolute KING of morons has to be the guys who drilled the crankarms of his downhill bike full of holes (I'm talking 4 or 5 dime sized holes) to try to lighten it up enough to win. Drilling them in your frame is right there, though. It's the Darwin Effect. Luckily, people this stupid probably won't be passing their genes on.

Dan

·
Registered
109 Posts
nino said:

some tires are ultralight but just no MTB tires anymore...good to get an ice-cream or burger down the street but no offroad riding with these tires. well - some will say they are great - i don't. but loosing big chunks of weight at once is tempting, isn't it?
Dear God, I can't imagine riding those things around the local trails, nevermind doing something like winning Sea Otter on them!

·
Trying to find Flow
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Max said:
i actually like my SID forks, especially when thinking of the 550 g weight penalty i'd have if riding the Fox FX80
Cool! I like my Fox forks, especially when thinking how my bike would behave like a pinball with a SID when descending the technical, rutted, baby head studded trails I often do.

Here's the type of terrain where SIDs excel

Attachments

·
Trying to find Flow
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Patchito said:
Cool! I like my Fox forks, especially when thinking how my bike would behave like a pinball with a SID when descending the technical, rutted, baby head studded trails I often do.

Here's the type of terrain where SIDs excel
Hey Max. BTW, I was doing some researching on Oro brakes here and saw your write-up. Have you done any tuning to your Oros? I just got some and love 'em, but would like to get them a tad lighter. I notice lots of steel fasteners n' stuff.

·
Registered
152 Posts
nino said:

Geoff Kabush used a prototype Maxxis semi-slick at Sea Otter. claimed 110 g per tire!!!
:eek: :eek: :eek:

(damn. sorry somebody already mentioned it.)

·
Velodramatic
533 Posts
Patchito said:
Hey Max. BTW, I was doing some researching on Oro brakes here and saw your write-up. Have you done any tuning to your Oros? I just got some and love 'em, but would like to get them a tad lighter. I notice lots of steel fasteners n' stuff.
i just used alloy bolts anywhere i could. if you mount a IS to postmount adapter for 160 mm front disc brakes, you might be able to run the 140 B4 disc rotor in the rear as well.

beside that, no tuning. i love them brakes. even on my SID. but maybe i weigh less than you? i also installed double bushings in my SID... and at 1049 g (non LO) and 1250 g (with LO) the weight is just too tempting.

and i dont like the terralogic ;)

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
nino said:

Well, ok where can I buy some? The look perfect for my commuter bike! (and I can always show up at Sea Otter and win ...)

Most stupid weight thing? My flexy homemade carbon/nomex headcup at 1+gr might qualify (although it is pretty safe ...) :confused:

·
(aka SS_MB-7)
924 Posts
Max said:
i actually like my SID forks, especially when thinking of the 550 g weight penalty i'd have if riding the Fox FX80
Actually, the weight diff is ~280g between the F80X and SID WC. The diff would be even less with other SIDs.

My '03 SID World Cup (cut to 195mm) without the standard remote lock-out (using thumb Climb-It Control dial due to lack of downtube clearance), without V-brake bosses and with the required compression cap assembly weighed 1346g (2.96lbs).

My '04 Fox F80X bossless (cut to 195mm) with King headset cap, nut and star fangled-nut weighed 1629g (3.59lbs). The uncut bossless fork weighed 1633g (3.60lbs). The King headset cap, nut and SFN weighed 27g.

So, 283g (0.62lbs).

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
Lmao....but....

Is the Sea Otter course basically a dirt road? Is there not some tramac involved?

How about tbhis guy at the Otter using Schwalbe Fast Fred Tires?
I piu those in almost the same class. Can use them on my trails...

I didn't know Otters ride bikes. .
In mountainbiking, props go out to Tyler Grahovic who placed 4th in the short track race (a "25 minute pain-fest on an off road course that is less than a mile long) and 3rd in cross country. He wrote in to tell us this about his ride:

The Fast Fred's where the Bomb! They were so fast I was hitting 40+mph on some of the downhills but felt so stable it was incredible.

I read a guy who uses a Schwalbe Big Apple 700c on his Unicycle on off-road races:

Tire Spotlight: Big Apple

Who would have thought that Schwalbe would earn a unicycle cult following? With the Big Apple tire, this seems to be the case. The Big Apple is certainly not exclusive to the unicycle application. The comfort, stability and cornering that this tire provides make it ideal for commuting, beach riding, and light touring. The aesthetic of this tire makes it perfect for cruisers. The 2.00 and 2.35 widths that the tire comes in make it ultra cushiony, and gives the bike extra suspension. Let's hear what Tommy from the Memphis Unicycle Club (http://www.memphisunicycleclub.com) states as his explaination: <o:p></o:p>

I have used the Schwalbe "Big Apple" 700c tire for about a year now on one of my unicycles. The tire is my tire of choice for off-road racing in dry conditions and for urban riding. The tire offers a huge rolling circumference that allows for higher speeds while the massive air volume offers me enough suspension control to easily roll through the more technical sections of a race course or neighborhood obstacles. This tire, too, offers a composite that is a perfect balance of stickiness and longevity. The rounded profile makes for easy handling in a wide range of riding conditions. Using the Schwalbe "Big Apple" 700c tire I have won the "Wolfman Dualthon," the "Down-N-Dirty" off-road mountain bike - unicycle race, and the "You've Gotta Have Park" off-road mountain bike - unicycle race. The Schwalbe "Big Apple" is my tire of choice for racing, riding in my neighborhood, playing or doing close-by errands. <o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>Tommy Thompson<o:p></o:p>

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.