Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I'm not out riding my bikes, or doing homework, I've always been pretty excited to test out and customize new hardware and software configurations on my computers. My newest project has been installing an LCD display into my computer and programming it to display useless crap. Lots of fun. :)

I managed to get an LCD drive bay insert similar to a setup I installed on my micro-processor board that I built at school. I installed it and hooked it up to my mobo via USB. I then proceeded to find various plugins that would find the information that I wanted to display on the screen. This is what I have it programmed to scroll through thus far:

Time:

Date and uptime:

How many e-mails are waiting for me on my server:

RAM usage:

Network Information:

Upload and download speeds and session totals:

CPU temperature, fan speeds, and voltages (configured to adjust fan speeds automatically based on temperature to reduce noise and power consumption):

Current weather conditions:

Forecasts for the next five days:

I was also playing around with having CNN highlights scrolling across the screen, as well as stock quotes, and even "geek news". I'm also thinking about setting up some sort of a CD/DVD player style display for when I'm watching movies or listening to music on my media center PC. There are also a few other things I'm playing around with and might program in as time permits.

Bike related element? I was on a ride when I got the idea to set this up. Only a few more days until my USB powered fish tank arrives. :) :)

·
Registered
524 Posts
nerd alert

"Bike related element? I was on a ride when I got the idea to set this up. Only a few more days until my USB powered fish tank arrives."

Dude, you should take a walkman on your rides . Don't have it on too loud and avoid music of a sugestive nature. I also think you should be wearing your bike helmet at all times :p

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
skogan said:
Never mind all that computer crap, you coming out for the Canmore Gathering?
August 19-22...
I think I might try to make it down for a day, but unfortunately we're having my grandfather's 80th b-day party on the 20th. Keep me in the loop! mbass at albertabiking dot com.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dax said:
Nice. The Uber geek in me appriciates the hack. What OS are you running. This has been done before, but yours looks verry nice, nice LCD how much was it.
Thanks Dax. I've seen some LCD screens in a few case mods, but a lot of them seemed to be pretty generic. I like doing things different. I've since changed a lot of things so it looks a bit different than it did in those pictures. A little "cleaner" shall we say.

The OS I'm running on this machine is Windows XP Media Center Edition. Although I would rather be running Fedora, I have to admit that Bill Gates did something right with this new remote access interface. Of course it's not perfect, but for a machine used mostly for media, it does the job. :)

·
Code Monkey
652 Posts
Kudos

I think this type of LCD is going to be standard in boxes in the next couple years. My inner geek appreciates it! There's already a company making machines w/ them ... sorry, can't remember the name. But it's a small one.

Here's an idea that's semi related. You know those LCD signs ... like 5'x1'. You see them at airports, banks, etc. I always thought it would be cool to put that in the rear window of your car and scroll messages about tailgating or insults to people you pass. Can you have that ready for me by tomorrow? Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MikeG said:
Here's an idea that's semi related. You know those LCD signs ... like 5'x1'. You see them at airports, banks, etc. I always thought it would be cool to put that in the rear window of your car and scroll messages about tailgating or insults to people you pass. Can you have that ready for me by tomorrow? Thanks.
I actually heard of someone developing a two option sign that says "Sorry" and "Thank you" to the people who are following you. Pretty boring. So that's actually been done as well. It actually wouldn't be too hard to hook one of those signs up to a laptop and type in a message to be displayed to a screen in your rear window. hmm .... think there's money to be made here? Too bad it would cause more accidents than a president riding a bike. :)

·
Code Monkey
652 Posts
Kami said:
hmm .... think there's money to be made here? Too bad it would cause more accidents than a president riding a bike. :)
I bet there would be a huge market for it, if the sign cost $40, has a usb port and enough memory to store 10 to 20 different messages. And an option to just feed text in. I bet the powers that be would outlaw it as soon as it hit the shelves. But it would be hella cool, eh?

Default messages it would come with ...
"Learn to drive, biotch!!"
"Hang up your cell and drive!!"
"Hey baby, call my cell at ###-####"
"Quit tailgating you ****er!"

Oh, the list can go on and on ...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts