Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I'm 13 and want to get into dirt jumping and urban riding. I've been looking at bikes but don't know what i'm looking for on a bike. Whats geometry and how would i want it in a bike? What parts am i looking for? Is single speed or geared better? Disc brakes or rim brakes? I was suggested to post this here since i wasn't getting much feedback from the beginners thread.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Well first the common bike recommendations:
Giant STP
Kona
Specialized P series
Eastern 26 bikes

To answer your questions
1) Geometry: The main thing I know about this is that you want a chainstay that is pretty short, this is a generalization as their are other factors such as bottom bracket height and other factors. But the shorter the chainstay the easier it is to manual but if it is to short you will be looping out alot etc. Others will chime in with more tips

2)Parts: Their are many parts if you are building up a bike (I found out the hard way but with the help up of atomrcrkhsbiker and a few others I successfully built up my first bike...
Here's a list of all the parts that are needed
Frame:
Fork:
Headset:
Handlebar Stem:
Handlebar:
Grips:
Brakes Lever(s):
Brake(s):
Brake Cables:
Seat:
Seattube:
Seat tube clamp:
Crankset:
bottom bracket (if the crankset does not come with one, make sure the bottom bracket will work with the frame):
Pedals:
Chainring:
Chain:
Cassette:
Spacers:
Chain Tensioner:
Wheels:
Tubes:
Tires:

This looks daunting but by browsing through the show off your bike thread you can find many popular and reliable parts...Just use the search for help if possible and then ask if you can't find anything.

3) Single speed is better as their is less parts to get caught and snagged, etc. Their is a post on here explaining everything needed for singlespeed.

4) Matter of preference many people run disc brakes on mountain bikes but either or

Hope this helps!! Happy Trails!

·
I post too much.
6,445 Posts
Geometry refers to the shape and size as well as angles of the tubes in your bike's frame, this is what determines how a bike rides.

For dirt jumping you are looking for a beefy frame with a steep head angle(69+) steep seat angle(around 70) high-ish BB height (12 inches and up) with the shortest chainstays possible (16'' and under) with a top tube length that fits you.

How tall are you, how much do you weigh and what's your budget?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
snaky69 said:
Geometry refers to the shape and size as well as angles of the tubes in your bike's frame, this is what determines how a bike rides.

For dirt jumping you are looking for a beefy frame with a steep head angle(69+) steep seat angle(around 70) high-ish BB height (12 inches and up) with the shortest chainstays possible (16'' and under) with a top tube length that fits you.

How tall are you, how much do you weigh and what's your budget?
--------------------
Well i'm around 5ft, weigh bout 100lbs, and about 900 dollars

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
is the nighttrain still on sale online someplace for 899? thats right about your budget...lol

well since you are only 13 i would recommend maybe getting something alittle cheaper because if you grow like i did then you are kinda out of luck with a small bike if you go through a growth spurt sometime soon (assuming that the top tube fits you now, instead of buying something alittle bigger and growing into it)

and well since you are light you can skimp on some parts because you wont be as hard on them as someone that is 6 foot and 200 pounds, so you could get away with cheaper a cheaper wheelset and fork because you wont bust them up as much

·
calma
158 Posts
carfreak35041 said:
Now I'm 13 and want to get into dirt jumping and urban riding. I've been looking at bikes but don't know what i'm looking for on a bike. Whats geometry and how would i want it in a bike? What parts am i looking for? Is single speed or geared better? Disc brakes or rim brakes? I was suggested to post this here since i wasn't getting much feedback from the beginners thread.
I am a dick with answers.

Best bang for the $$$:

Kona scab (they offer 3 levels of dirt jumpers based on $$$)
or
Speicalize P Series (same thing 3 versions based on $$$$)

They are marketed for djing so all the worries about geometery and components are taken care off.

Ride and have fun learning

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
calma said:
I am a dick with answers.

Best bang for the $$$:

Kona scab (they offer 3 levels of dirt jumpers based on $$$)
or
Speicalize P Series (same thing 3 versions based on $$$$)

They are marketed for djing so all the worries about geometery and components are taken care off.

Ride and have fun learning
------------------------------------
I've been hearing bad things about the Specialized P. about the geometry and that Specialized isn't a good company to deal with. Since i'm looking for SS and mainly urban riding the only p. i would consider is the p.1 and i heard it's heavy along with the bad geo but if i was mainly DJing i wouldn't care for weight. I read that the chainstays on the Kona DJ series weren't good for urban riding. Does anyone know anything about the cannondale chase series?

·
Registered
335 Posts
carfreak35041 said:
------------------------------------
I've been hearing bad things about the Specialized P. about the geometry and that Specialized isn't a good company to deal with. Since i'm looking for SS and mainly urban riding the only p. i would consider is the p.1 and i heard it's heavy along with the bad geo but if i was mainly DJing i wouldn't care for weight. I read that the chainstays on the Kona DJ series weren't good for urban riding. Does anyone know anything about the cannondale chase series?
The cromo p.bikes have good geometry imo. The aluminum ones are a different story. The p.1 is a nice bike, the weights on the heavy side but it's not like it's insanely heavy or anything, shouldn't be a problem unless you weigh 90 pounds. Try to test ride a p.1, you'll probably like it. Geometry is just preference, you shouldn't judge a bike by other people's preferences of the geometry unless you've tried out the bike yourself.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so far the bikes that are appealing to me the most are the giant stp and eastern night train. Does anyone have suggestions on bikes with a great frame geo like those, but low components since i won't be bashing on them. I can't find an STP 2 in the U.S and i don't know anything else.

·
What are you looking at?
949 Posts
You might want to take a look at the Black Market complete bike (forget what it's called)... I saw one the other day and it looked pretty dialed...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.