Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
Repeat after me: All mountain bikes will have disc brakes... all mountain bikes will have disc brakes...

The wily I've seen up close has discs and the eccentric. Interesting dropouts there, is that a "standard" Wily set up?

·
Jackbooted Elitist Hipstr
747 Posts
Sweet, now quit loafing

Great looking ride Mr. V. Now drag your flabby butt off the couch and get on form for once in your life!

I've got a Wily 29er on the way too, and was thinking about orange, but if I did that then you'd start to fear for your personal safety. I swear its just coincidences!

Enjoy the bike and good luck with your race season. Cheers

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
congrats!

beautiful orange rigasaurus!

you get points for:
rigid
streamers
orange color (yowza!!)

deduction for:
V-brakes (your bike is on a mountaintop in the snow fer cryin' out loud! :p )
can you at least share with enquiring minds why you went V instead of disc? i don't even see andy disc tabs on that beauty.

OGG

·
Squalor
1,573 Posts
I Spy...

Downtube cable guides...no der. hanger...does someone have plans for a Rohloff?

Or maybe you just have a variety of the "slider" part that bolts to the dropout for various applications. One with a hanger, one with a disc tab, two plain dropouts for running ss with v's (as pictured)

Maybe I am over-analyzing your bike...

Sweet Ride!

LP

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hope Pluto Pilot doesn't mind me jumping in here and discussing the bike's philosophy. I just happened to see the thread.

He is a minimalist kind of guy, which I respect. He does a lot of ultra-endurance rides, so mechanicals need to be easy to fix and kept to a minimum. SS, rigid, and V-brakes all the way. And he is damn fast with this setup also. Faster than most with gears and suspension forks and disc brakes.

The only reason we went with the sliders (Rohloffs - i was out of the standard sliders we normally use) was he wanted to be able to run gears for Montezuma's Revenge. So he does have an extra right side dropout with the derailleur hanger.

We cut the disc tab off the left side dropout since he only wants to use v-brakes. However, if he ever wanted to use discs (doubtful knowing him) or sold the frame, a new left side dropout with disc mount could easily be purchaed from Rohlof.

It is a very versatile bike, so I thought it was pretty cool.

·
get down!
2,193 Posts
NICE! welcome to the pac...*throwing up the NC State wolfpack sign*

nice headset
crazy color....changes from a red to a neon orange
the dropouts are nice
crazy panel...is that a blue line through it?
ummm, the fact that you didn't go discs
and it's a Wily :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the props on the bike. Yeah, Brad pretty much answered the reasoning for the V-brakes. I'm kind of retro, and am not that great a mechanic. I don't like having anything on my bike I can't fix. There are always a handful of snowy/wet rides where V-brakes are problematic, but it's not that big a deal. For the most part, they work fine here in Colorado. And they're simple and light. Less to deal with.

The bike has gear stops for some bigger races/rides. I like the versatility of being able to have a quivver of one, and this lets me do it. The geometry was built very similar to my previous bike, a 1999 Ionic Johnny Rotten that I absolutely loved, so I'm stoked to convert that to the 29er world.

That about covers it. Looks like the inaugural ride could well be a night lap at the 18 hours of Fruita in the cold and wet!

·
Registered
84 Posts
nice!

Sweet ride, very nice. Hmm, nice choice of headset color! Non-suspension corrected fork, right? And I do like the retro setup, even though at the same time I'm a fan of dual and discs.

Might be better weekend for turns, but see a guys tonight at potential mud-fest in Fruita.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.