Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am rebuilding an old Trek singletrack, originally an 8spd, i have some spare parts layin around:

is it possible to use a 9 speed chain and cassete with an 8sped crank (currently on the bike) , the cassete is a sram, the last gear on it can scew off, is it possible to simply run it as an 8spd without the last ring?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Just did it to a friends marin no poblems with the 8spd crank set up...I found the front d to be finicy to set up but that was a replacement issues having nothing to do with 8/9 spd. I also just put a 9 spd crank on a 7spd drive chain w/o issue

·
Registered
334 Posts
praney02 said:
I am rebuilding an old Trek singletrack, originally an 8spd, i have some spare parts layin around:

is it possible to use a 9 speed chain and cassete with an 8sped crank (currently on the bike) , the cassete is a sram, the last gear on it can scew off, is it possible to simply run it as an 8spd without the last ring?
Crank chainrings are essentially the same regardless of rear cassette configuration -- the chain rings will work equally well for a 7, 8 or 9 speed drivetrain. Using a 9 speed cassette with 8 speed shifters is not a good idea. While you may be able to get that set up to work, shift performance and adjustment will be very finicky. The spacing between cogs on an 8 speed cassette is wider than on a 9 speed cassette. The 8 speed index shifters will pull too much cable for each shift, which may cause you to over travel and miss the cog. :nono:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.