Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 10 years old girl was in between sizes, 24" vs. XS 26". I originally picked up a used 24" Specialized Hotrock A1-FS for her, but reading the forums I got the idea that she might actually do well with a XS 26" bike. At the same time, I also needed a 24" bike for my 8 year old. So instead of picking up another 24", I went the route of picking up a XS 26" for my older one, and hand-down the 24" to my 2nd one.

It's a new 2009 Cannondale F5 Women's Petite (XS). I was a little concerned with the stand over as Cannondale runs a little high, ~27". I would have preferred ~25". But she seems to be handling it well enough.

Stock it weighs 29.7lbs which is a little on the heavy side...I will slowly upgrade the components to lighten it a bit.

Attachments

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
That smile tells it all

She looks pretty happy there, and the bike size will also allow her to grow into it, too.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She looks pretty happy there, and the bike size will also allow her to grow into it, too.
Yeah she was really happy as blue is her favorite color. Both of my girls were dying to take it off-road, so I took them both to local trail yesterday. My oldest had her first fall as she got too overconfident...few scrapes, but she is looking forward to riding the next time In the meantime, I might need to pick up some knee/shin guards & elbow guards for her.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Sounds like a real trooper!

Yeah she was really happy as blue is her favorite color. Both of my girls were dying to take it off-road, so I took them both to local trail yesterday. My oldest had her first fall as she got too overconfident...few scrapes, but she is looking forward to riding the next time In the meantime, I might need to pick up some knee/shin guards & elbow guards for her.
Get her back out again quickly, she'll be fine. BTW, just checked out the specs on that bike, and looks like dad did a real nice job in picking out a very nice bike for a 10 year old. :thumbsup: That bike should last her at least until she physically out grows it, and should be able to be handed town to her sibling. Smart buy!

Bob

·
Bandit 29 FTW!!!
1,164 Posts
Nice bike...

Getting her something that she can grow with is a plus for sure. My wife rides a Specialized XS and it weighed over 30lbs off the rack. Since then I've upgraded things little by little and it's now a very manageable 25.5 lbs. She's loving how light it is and keeps up on our road rides with ease.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
25.5 lbs is a nice weight reduction from the starting point. I am not sure if I will go to that level, but I would like to get it under 27 lbs at some point. I will replace components as they wear out.

·
Registered
178 Posts
For this season, my daughter needed to move from a single chainring to a triple and from rim brakes to disk brakes. Rather than move her from one 24" bike to another, we got her a 13" frame with 26" wheels. Right decision!

Not only did she love going from 24" to 26" as much as I loved going from 26" to 29", with all the growing she has done this summer, we have raised the seat several times.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SungChang,
How tall is your daughter in this picture?
I am trying to compare to my 8 year old.

thanks,
JEB
She might be ~52 to 53 inches in the photo. I haven't measured her recently, so I am not sure though.

I think it might be a little too big for a 8 year old unless she's on the tall side. My 2nd daughter who is 8 year old seems to fit the 24" much better.

I also looked at GTw Avalanche 1.0 in XS. That bike definitely had much better stand over height, and my daughter fit it much better. But it was a little more than I wanted to spend.

Cannondale F5 built up weighed 29.7lbs. On the first ride, it got a goathead on the front. While changing the tube, I decided to make some changes:
o changed stock Nevegal (weighed 1.7 lbs each for wired version) to spare Panaracer Fire XC folding tires that I had (i think it weighed 1.2 lbs each)
o changed the front tube to Forte lite tubes (130g), kept the rear tube the same
o changed the cassette to a spare XT cassette that I had
o changed the stock pedals (pretty nasty stuff, my daughter hit the rear of knees during the fall and it cut her up a bit) to spare plastic/rubber pedals that I had lying around...will eventually move her to a Time ATAC XS pedals when she's ready

Those changes alone brought the bike down to 27.7 lbs, drop of 2 full pounds. I will slowly upgrade her components with as they wear down.

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
Keep in mind guys, you can buy one of these and re-lace the wheels to a 24 inch rim. Brings the stand over down. Save the spokes and rim and when they're ready make it a 26 inch wheel again.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Nice bike!
I'm looking for a 13"/small bike for my daughter as well. Did you get this 2 year old model (2009) from your LBS? I'd love to find a year or two leftover (to save a few $$) on a new bike. I actually need to get two now....my son has outgrown his 20" and I need to move him to a 24" now. I had hime try out a 13" bike....but It's just too big for him right now.

Michael

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
KMan, check your PM.
Got it thanks! I sent the seller a note to see if they have any left. I also dropped by Performance bike today to see if a small Focus Whistler would fit her.
Focus Whistler Mountain Bike-U.S. Exclusive - Mountain Bikes
It's just a tad on the big side for her, but I think it would be manageable for her. Price on the Focus is tough to beat at $499...and I think the XS Cannandale when shipped would end up being the same cost. I going to wait until I hear back from the seller for a price and work from there.

Thanks again,
Michael

·
Registered
148 Posts

Almost done building my daughter's 10th birthday present, just waiting for the purple pedals.
The frame is a Giant ATX Pro: 3.5 lbs, ebay/HongKong special. Seems really sweet. I ordered purple anodized bars, skewers, post clamp, bottle cage, chain and pedals and basically had the rest already or stole parts from my other bikes. 25 pounds!
Standover will be pushing it a little, but by springtime shouldn't be an issue. Fun project, but tough to pull off covert for a surprise.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.