Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you don't mind a little bit of self-promotion, I'd like to let you all know about a new website I've just put together that describes (mostly) mountain bike rides in the San Francisco Bay Area:

Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides

The focus is on providing downloadable GPS tracks and covering as much of the logistical details as possible of selecting and doing a ride, with descriptions, stats, ratings, maps, plots, photos, and relevant web links.

Take a peek! I hope you find it helpful...

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
ROTFLMAO

You have "Aerobic Difficulty" listed for the Henry Coe rides.:eek: It's anaerobic there!!!!!

I like the site though. It will be great to get some more listings.

·
Slowest Rider
5,113 Posts
Very nice. More than just a GPS track dump. Lots of valuable information about each ride location.

It's going to take a lot of work to keep the descriptions and park links going. Who's doing that?

You're going to eventually get a lot of different rides and loops for each park, how's that going to be organized?

Who does the rating? Is there a poll consensus possible. I suppose the rating goes to the ride, not the park.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Very nice!

I love just about everything, but the ride times seem somehow unqualified.

Is it a group pace with lots of stops, a super casual pace, etc?

I think it is important for a person planning a ride to have a clear picture of how time is estimated. Then they can also place the difficulty rating in context.

GREAT JOB!!

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the feedback, folks!

From some of the questions about the ratings and estimates, I can tell that the "About" page hasn't been noticed yet. :) I've meant that page more like a "website key" than just a quick boiler plate for the site. So, many of the things that are being asked such as the assumptions about the ride times, my style of riding, the types of rides I like, etc., are all touched upon there. My hope is that viewers can read those descriptions and adjust the ratings and estimates accordingly to match their own criteria a little more closely.

The About page does have a good chunk of text, though. So, in order to save you some time, here are some quick responses to some of the things you've asked:

diver160651 said:
I love just about everything, but the ride times seem somehow unqualified.

Is it a group pace with lots of stops, a super casual pace, etc?

I think it is important for a person planning a ride to have a clear picture of how time is estimated. Then they can also place the difficulty rating in context.
Ride times are all the actual times in which I've finished each ride; sometimes slightly rounded. (All of the rides are rides I've done.) My riding is very slow and casual. Moreover, ride times include all rest stops, photo ops, lunch breaks, etc.

BigLarry said:
Who does the rating? Is there a poll consensus possible. I suppose the rating goes to the ride, not the park.
The ratings are all my subjective opinions. I can't guarantee that all of them will always be consistent even based on my personal criteria. They're little more than rough guidelines; don't think of running statistical analysis on the rating numbers or anything! ;)

I wasn't thinking of making the ratings democratic. In other words. I intended them as the "author's ratings", rather than "viewer ratings". One could argue that this actually brings a certain uniformity. They're all based on the same criteria of the same person.

BigLarry said:
It's going to take a lot of work to keep the descriptions and park links going. Who's doing that?
The website is completely a "one-man show". Yours truly is the only one doing the work. I have every intention of making updates to the descriptions, and possibly ratings and stats as well, as I repeat rides that are listed here and my impressions or the rides' circumstances keep changing. Other than that, I plan to be very responsive to comments and e-mails pointing out inaccuracies, broken links, website bugs, etc.

BigLarry said:
You're going to eventually get a lot of different rides and loops for each park, how's that going to be organized?
You might have noticed that I've already done some of that for a few places currently represented on the site, like Skeggs and Demo Forest. I wasn't planning any special organization for multiple rides at the same location other than repeating the location listing for each possible ride, like I have done so far.

In general, though, I'm not aiming to turn this into "another MotionBased.com" (or "Garmin Connect" now, suppose). I plan to include multiple ride suggestions at the same location mostly when each of those rides involves a suggestion-worthy trail or feature that the rest of them don't. Beyond that, I'll expect that, once a rider learns about a new place to ride that she didn't know about by seeing it on the site, she'll go on to explore the other loop possibilities there on her own.

ziscwg said:
ROTFLMAO

You have "Aerobic Difficulty" listed for the Henry Coe rides.:eek: It's anaerobic there!!!!!

I like the site though. It will be great to get some more listings.
Ha! By that same token, I might need to add something like a "Hiking Fun" rating for Coe! :)

I still have a sizable backlog of existing rides to add to the site. You might want to check back over the course of the next week or two to see those as well. After that, as I keep doing new rides, the good ones of those will make it in here too, naturally.

·
Registered
626 Posts
erginguney said:
Thanks for the feedback, folks!

Ride times are all the actual times in which I've finished each ride; sometimes slightly rounded. (All of the rides are rides I've done.) My riding is very slow and casual. Moreover, ride times include all rest stops, photo ops, lunch breaks, etc.
This would be a perfect note to add to the site! I only noticed it as I glanced at Purisima Creek - the ride is about an hour long if someone is working really hard.

Having the little blurb like above helps put all the other ratings in perceptive. Hopefully somebody will sponsor your page to help make your riding a tax deduction!

Personally this may be the best site as it has one riders vantage point. Once the author's vantage point is established, all the routes and data become very clear. Again GREAT JOB.. This is a definite bookmark to share with riders new to the area!

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
diver160651 said:
This would be a perfect note to add to the site! I only noticed it as I glanced at Purisima Creek - the ride is about an hour long if someone is working really hard.

Having the little blurb like above helps put all the other ratings in perceptive.
Like I mentioned, that explanation is already on the About page, but it looks like I'll need to look for a way of making that a little more obvious. I'll try to think of something.

Thanks again for the praise! :)

·
default title
538 Posts
Awesome

Very clean, I love the muted color scheme. Nicely put together.
I'm wondering if the data on the rides (fun/scenic/tech/aerobic/location/distance/etc) is flat or if you've got a database backend. It would be nice to have the ability to show rides based on specific criteria.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
kattrap said:
I'm wondering if the data on the rides (fun/scenic/tech/aerobic/location/distance/etc) is flat or if you've got a database backend. It would be nice to have the ability to show rides based on specific criteria.
It's completely flat and static content at the moment, unfortunately. We're thinking along the same lines, though. I realize the possibilities that would open up if I put the rides in a database instead and write some code to go along with it. Maybe for a later "second phase" effort...

·
don't try this at home
1,600 Posts
nice but you need to get some of the notable northbay sites - annadel(completely incomplete until this is added), oat hill, angwin, lake sonoma, boggs(not really bay area, but worthy)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.