1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Date of birth: April 1, 2005.
Weight: about 27 pounds.
Length: 22.5" (TT, effective).

On Friday my bouncing baby Vulture was delivered at the Vulture's nest in Central Oregon. Here's my pride and joy:

Full build specs:
Fork: White Brothers BW1.0, travel adjusted to 80mm.
Bar/stem: Bontrager 620mm, Ritchey Pro bar ends, Ritchey True Grips, Ritchey 80mm adjustable stem.
Brakes/levers: Avid BB7 185mm, Deore levers.
Seating: WTB Rocket V Race, Cane Creek Thudbuster 3G.
Rolling stock: Salsa Delgado X rims / XT Disc hubs (MeanTodd built), Kenda Klaw XT tires.
Drivetrain: Time ATAC pedals, old DX cranks (w/mismatched left arm), 34t ring (Surly ring on order), PC58 chain, 22t/20t Boone/Novatec cogs.
Accessories: Cateye BC-100 cages, Cateye Enduro 2 computer, SKS Shockboard/X-Blade fenders, Specialized mini PVO pump, IncrediBell Duet.

Here's a closeup of the dropout area:

That's Wade's newest dropout design. Also note (in the previous photo) the stainless steel seatstay bridge. The derailer hanger still needs to be tapped, but I'm not in a big hurry anyway. Frame also has a 3rd set of bottle brazeons under the downtube, and a clever touch is a bottle brazeon on the left seatstay for the cable clamp, complete with a color-matched bolt (nice touch, Derrick!)

But the coolest feature of all is the 73mm (!) eccentric bottom bracket. As far as I'm aware, for the moment I own the only bicycle on the planet with this feature. According to Wade, this more easily allows for a short chainstay with good tire clearance, without having to manipulate the stays as severely as on 29"ers with 68mm EBBs. Sure enough, the stays on this bike have gentle curves, yet will easily clear 2.4-2.5" tires if we ever get them. There's just as much clearance on the right side as you see on the left side.

As always, Derrick did an incredible job with the paint. Background colors are Sunrise Pearl faded to Sunset Pearl (and these colors seem to change with the light), with Sherwood Green raindrops. Head badge detail:

First ride a night ride on Friday, around Suttle Lake, a lovely singletrack ride with a few roots and rocks, and some stretches of snow. I had been fiddling with the BW1.0's adjuster knob to dial it in, but 2/3 of the way around the lake I realized that except for that I had not given a single thought to how my bike was handling. From the first spin of the cranks, it just went where I pointed it, totally intuitive. Now part of that may be because the geometry is pretty close to my KM, but still I think that's a testament to Wade's design skills and to the value of getting a frame custom fitted to your specifications.

Here she is out on the trail yesterday:

and posing with her big sister:

and taking a break at a regroup point:

Oops, I got so wrapped up in writing about my new bike that I almost forgot to mention Barbie Camp, which as always was a great success. A bit smaller than the Fall version (maybe 35-40 people this time) but lots of good blokes who tell good jokes, not to mention some great riding. Here's Justin contemplating whether to take the infamous "wall" into the video age:

Here's Sparty giving away some schwag to "lucky" Colleen:

and getting ready to "lease" out the Barbie frame until the next Barbie Camp:

Thanks once again to sParty for hosting a great party!

- Dan

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
Nice Vulture

Thats a nice bike with a nice build. You must be very pleased. That paint job must be one of a kind. Are the raindrops hand painted and then clearcoated? Those dropouts look cool and unique too, but seem a bit delicate for a large rider. Does Wade make them by hand out of chromoly plate, or is he having them forged in a basic design and then modifying from there?

Barbie Camp looks like it was a blast.

·
Registered
687 Posts
My Vulture and I couldn't make it,

But we were good boys and went to the races...Sorry Sparty.
I figured since I only had saturday off and my team (WebCyclery) and Shiggy were Mudslingin' I went to the Valley.
I love the new Vulture Dan, I wish I had made it to the nest to see it fresh. I've been too busy riding mine...The dropouts are sick, Wade told me about them. The cool thing about our 29ers is that each one helps the next...
Wade is constantly learning to keep them dfferent with similar defining characteristics and Derrick's paint jobs get better and better ( I plan on a new paint job every year).
I gotta say my bike felt so natural for my first race in ten years,and the first on a 29" SS.
Oregon not only provides us with amazing trails, great people and amazing home made bikes and gear. :cool:
I think we will need to have a summer Vulturefest here in Bend ;)
Happy Trails,
Jefe'

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Padre said:
Nice work GB!
Those dropouts are hot!
One quick question though...why didn't you get the large bar ends? ;)
I hope to replace this entire handlebar setup with a Mary bar by next week.

jh_on_the_cape said:
congrats on that new ride. it looks great.
is the paint reflective?
The paint is pearlescent but not reflective. Since this one's strictly for mountain biking, reflectiveness wasn't really needed. My KM will be reflective (among other things!) by fall, though.

steelbike said:
Very nice work done by vulture.

Would that fit a rider of 5-6, 5-7?
It looks really tempting.
shiggy said:
I think GB is around 5'8".

Building a 29er for a 5"6 rider is not a problem.
I'm 5'7", with fairly average torso vs. leg proportions. 29"ers can work quite well for people of this height, although if you get much shorter you run into issues. For one thing, if you had bigger feet than me (9.5-10) or a shorter torso (meaning you'd want a shorter top tube), you'd run into toe-clearance problems pretty fast unless you slackened out the steering angle.

Also, standover's a bit tight for me on this thing -- but fortunately that's something I've never been too picky about. If you have shorter legs than mine (about 31") you might need to start looking at bent top tubes like on the Airborne 29"ers. Of course if you're willing to go rigid, you could design a frame around a non-suspension corrected fork and lower the standover quite a bit. My frame was designed to clear the wider crown of a suspension fork, so if you didn't care about that issue you could go with a longer rigid fork like the Karate Monkey and still lower the front a little bit from what I'm running. Fortunately Wade thinks these issues through very thoroughly and is careful to avoid any nasty surprises that might pop up after the frame's been built and painted.

PinsNeedles said:
The cool thing about our 29ers is that each one helps the next...
Wade is constantly learning to keep them dfferent with similar defining characteristics and Derrick's paint jobs get better and better ( I plan on a new paint job every year). ... I think we will need to have a summer Vulturefest here in Bend ;)
I agree, and the 73mm EBB is definitely going to help Wade's future 29" customers a lot. I was also the first to get a WB fork through Vulture (yes, he can get the OEM pricing now!) so future customers will definitely benefit from that as well.

I'd definitely try to make it to Bend for a Vulturefest!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.