Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Accident prone (owie)
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Running with the big dogs" just took on a new meaning for me. I've seen those sites with the images doctored to make dogs look big but this one is real. We spotted it on the way to the office this morning in Incline Village (northeast corner of Lake Tahoe).

The owner said it's a Great Dane but the ones I've seen before are nowhere near this size. All I had was a camera phone so you'll have to excuse the image quality:

·
Bad Andy
877 Posts
That looks exactly like my dog, Manny.
He's 15 mos. now, and about 145 lbs. He will probably be around 175 or so. He gets a lot of attention!!

"thats not a dog....thats a horse"
Get that comment all the time.

"they are wonderful dogs and despite their intimidating size they are silly lazy dogs that think they are tiny puppies.
their food bills add up though......."
Exactly right!

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
bchapacpt said:
hey, i have two great danes
they are wonderful dogs and despite their intimidating size they are silly lazy dogs that think they are tiny puppies.
their food bills add up though.......
Most Danes think they're lap dogs. My neighbor has one. If you sit in his chair, he'll come up and put his head in your lap. If you don't push him away pretty soon it's a paw, then the other. If you're not careful, pretty soon you have 160# of dog in your lap. Great dogs. Really good with kids. They just don't know they're big.

·
Registered
477 Posts
We're lab people but generally love all "bigger" dogs. Haven't met many little dogs I've liked though.

Great Danes are just beautiful. Whats their average life span?

The breeds I want to own some day are the Greater Swiss MTN Dog and the Irish Wolf Hound. Not sure why, don't know much about them and have never met either breed.

·
Bad Andy
877 Posts
dragbike said:
Great Danes are just beautiful. Whats their average life span?
That's one bad thing - - - they're life span averages under 10 years. Very rare to be 12.
Here's a couple pics of Manny.
As a puppy (2nd from left).
At the dog park - about 1 year old and 130 lbs or so.

"hmm, just out of curiosity.. how much on a monthly basis??"
Not too sure about food cost, I've been too scared to add it up in the 8 months we've had him. He eats about 10 cups a day right now. That should slow down some by the time he's 2.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
how much on a monthly basis?
I'll sit in Andy's corner on that one. The breeder i bought my danes from makes their own dog food and gives us the opportunity to buy it from them at a reduced rate. Sometimes i think the dogs are eating better than i am. Fresh meat and a complex blend of everything else! He also gave me an excel program based on age and daily activity of my puppies. That way depending on how active or lack there of they were for a particular day, i can feed them accordingly. It ensures that they won't be over fed, under fed, and put some healthy meat on their bones. At first i thought he was just scamming money from a puppy happy owner but after a year and half, i can't help but think the stuff works. I haven't had the slightest medical problems with both my dogs, and they are extremely healthy and most of all happy :) :)

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
:cool:
dragbike said:
The breeds I want to own some day are the Greater Swiss MTN Dog and the Irish Wolf Hound. Not sure why, don't know much about them and have never met either breed.
Back when I was young, I lived in a ski town one winter. I like dogs and am generally not intimidated by them. I was out for a walk one snowy night and saw a BIG dog a couple blocks away, big enough I decided to go the opposite way. I walked another block when this THING comes out of the dark, and with all 4 feet on the ground puts it's nose into my chest, sniffs, then lopes off. Irish wolfhound. Big effing dog!

What amazed me then, and still does, was the speed of the dog. We'd started 2 blocks apart, and turned and gone in opposite directions. In the time it took me to walk another block, the dog had reversed course, and not only made up 3 blocks between us, but came out of the dark from a different direction, so it had circled around to cut me off, effortlessly. Quite a rush in the dark alone and with a bit of a buzz on. :cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts