Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chris at Generic Cycles just started work on my pivotless ti FS frame. Doesn't look like much yet but neither to babies when that first ultrasound pic is taken. Will update as it develops. The plan is for a full SRAM XX build. Fox F29 G2 fork. Wheels will be King hubs laced to Stan's Flow rims.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The ti flex plate should be the next pic I get. It's at the shop getting the water-cut treatment.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Subscribed

Only thing/problem I see there is you'll only be able to run a custom seatpost with that lovely bent ST. Looks nice and curvy though ;)

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ignore the top of that seat tube piece. you are only seeing part of it. That piece will be cut down and merged with another tube that will have a more traditional angle. The tube has the extreme curve to provide tire clearance without super long chainstays. See below for a sketch of the design - although the finished product will be more "integrated" than the drawing shows.

Attachments

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,357 Posts
NICE! I'm watching this too. I'll live vicariously, still awaiting blue prints for sign off on my ti fatty soft tail...

:cryin:

What's the seat stay pivot section? Some super durable plastic insert, or what?

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Aha, makes a lot more sense now :thumbsup: and man does that top tube look WAY better in reality than the drawing :eek: How much travel are you going for outback and matching it up to what upfront? Curious as now we get the angles and to me it says definitely XC, but might I suggest you consider going for a 69* HA instead of the 70* :skep: I would never have even thought about that sort of angle for an XC HT before the Paradox, but now, with the newer offset Minute I absolutely don't ever want anything steeper than 69* HA again - Unless of course you're a racer boy and like that super twitchy feel :skep:

Vecsus said:
Ignore the top of that seat tube piece. you are only seeing part of it. That piece will be cut down and merged with another tube that will have a more traditional angle. The tube has the extreme curve to provide tire clearance without super long chainstays. See below for a sketch of the design - although the finished product will be more "integrated" than the drawing shows.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Chris is a super nice dude...I spoke to him at Salvagetti Bicycle Workshop not long ago. It seems he is more of an innovator rather than continuing with the same cut and dry bikes...I kinda like that.

Keep an eye out for some new set geometry bikes made by Chris with a yet to be determined branding. I just saw one yesterday, actually.

Not to steal from Vecsus' thunder....but these are some "generic" photos from his webpage showing some of the soft tail details.

-Nick

·
Rohloff
1,600 Posts
That's on my list of bikes to hook up to an IGH. I'm currently playing with a Milk Money and I like it a lot, but that bike of yours is going to be a custom masterpiece. I can't wait to see how your bike comes out.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm building up the new bike primarily for endurance riding and "racing." I put racing in quotes because there is never a chance of me placing higher than middle pack but I like to show up and soak up the vibe. I do some 100-milers, 12 hours, and long training rides.

Frame will have about 100mm of travel. Fork will be a 100mm G2 fox. I have a 73 degree HT on my waltworks hard tail and it handles great. I went. Little slacker on this build based on feedback from Chris at Generic.

The "dents" in the seat stays are ti flex points to make the rear more active. Feedback on the design has been very positive. He started doing those recently along with the extra support at the rear of the shock. Adds a tiny bit of weight but reduces flex.

Thanks for the feedback so far. Will post more picks as I get them.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Never seen "flex points" like that before. Solid Ti?

Those chainstays remind me of the Ragley.

They make one of the prettiest Ti frames:

and one of the ugliest Ti frames I have ever seen:

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, the flex points are solid ti. The ends extend into the tubing. Chris is going to make a smoother transition at the seat tube junction so it will probably look different than that HT pic above.

·
Front Range Cyclist
944 Posts
Chris is a good dude I can second that. Smart guy. Good guy. And that bike with the Maverick fork is owned by a guy I know....and a great suspension tuner, Luby at dirt labs. Sweet ride.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
ive always wondered why the flex from the plate behind the bb shell doesnt occur at the weld...and then fatigues the joint....i would have guessed the surface area of the weld would need to be errr, 'squarer' or would need to be braced at the bb shell in order to move the flex point rear wards along the plate..it must work as various builders (notably potts) have used this successfully it seems, but id be interested to get an informed persons explanation?

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Yeah the 3* difference should be a bit different handling and def more relaxed, if you're using a newer offset fork on your Waltworks. Figured it was an endurance "racer" :D Seriously how many of us "race" and actually do more than compete with ourselves? :skep: It's the challenge and comraderie we do it for.

Vecsus said:
I'm building up the new bike primarily for endurance riding and "racing." I put racing in quotes because there is never a chance of me placing higher than middle pack but I like to show up and soak up the vibe. I do some 100-milers, 12 hours, and long training rides.

Frame will have about 100mm of travel. Fork will be a 100mm G2 fox. I have a 73 degree HT on my waltworks hard tail and it handles great. I went. Little slacker on this build based on feedback from Chris at Generic.

The "dents" in the seat stays are ti flex points to make the rear more active. Feedback on the design has been very positive. He started doing those recently along with the extra support at the rear of the shock. Adds a tiny bit of weight but reduces flex.

Thanks for the feedback so far. Will post more picks as I get them.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In this case I think "camaraderie" is just a fancy way of saying " shared suffering".

Offset on the waltworks is a standard F29... So 46 right? Chris said he was looking forward building up one of his softail designs around a G2 fork.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just got a new pic. Tubes starting to come together. And before anyone comments on the welds - they will be cleaned up.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.