Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
more love, less attitude
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ridden my Stoic Cycles 36er 8 times since I finished it about a month ago. It feels smoother, faster, and more stable than my other bikes, but is not as quick to accelerate. I was afraid it would be harder to handle on technical sections because of its size, but instead it is easier because it rolls over small objects that would rob a smaller wheel of momentum or deflect it off course. Rather than picking my way through rough trail sections, it seems like I can crawl over them. Being able to ignore smaller obstacles allows me to look farther ahead and ride faster and smarter. That’s a good thing because momentum is your friend on this bike. Once you get a pair of 10 lb wheels spinning you might as well keep them going. When I ride a 26” bike now it feels downright squirrelly in comparison to the 36er. The handling has a fun, swoopy feel on faster trail sections. The Nimbus Nightrider tires provide excellent traction on hardpack, and outstanding flotation in deep sand and gravel. I have been running them at 20 psi, +/- a few psi depending on the trail.

The extra 8-10 pounds on this bike is mostly in the wheels, and is most noticeable when laying on brief bursts of acceleration. I thought the weight would be more noticeable on climbs, but it seems to be at least partially offset by my ability to climb more smoothly and efficiently because the rear wheel has such good traction and the front wheel does not get kicked around by small rocks and sticks the way a smaller wheel would. The only downside to the bike’s size that I have found is how difficult it is to store and transport a bike that is about 7 feet long. It barely squeezes into the 6-ft rear compartment of an SUV, and I have not found a rooftop rack that it will fit .

Here is the set up.
Frame: Stoic Cycles, custom steel, 83mm bb shell, rear sliders 150mm apart
Fork: Stoic Cycles, custom steel, 135mm hub width
Seatpost: Eriksen 20mm layback
Stem: Salsa MotoAce 80mm/0 degree
Handlebar: Titec 6061 Flat Tracker Flat Bar
Brakes: Avid BB7 mechanical discs, 203mm rotors
Crankset: Profile Racing MTB, 94/58mm spider, 190mm arms, 6 7/8" spindle
Chainring: Profile 30t in middle position
Cassette: SRAM 9 spd 11-34t
Chain: Had to add a few links to a standard 114 link chain
Rear hub: DT Swiss 440FR 150mm x 10mm (dishless)
Front hub: DMR Revolver 135mm single speed rear hub (dishless)
Rims: Nimbus Stealth Pro
Spokes: Unicycle.com 2mm x 371mm
Tires: Nimbus Nightrider
Tubes: Slime Presta 29er

Attachments

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
thanks for sharing, that is a really cool bike. i think a 36er may be my next project if only to see what it's really like...

·
This place needs an enema
17,245 Posts
miles e said:
Cool. How were you able to use a quick release with the 440 rear hub (listed as only available in 150x12 thru axle)?
Most but not all high end DT hubs (read: 440 and 240) use interchangeable end caps. It looks like he stuck some 10mm end caps on the hub and is using a RWS thru-bolt. But then I wonder about a 150mm thru-bolt? Maybe I'm just brain farting but I didn't think they made those...

Good idea. And sweet bike.

MC

·
more love, less attitude
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mikesee has the idea. DT makes an axle/end caps kit to convert the 440 hub to 150x10mm, and they also make a 150x10mm RWS thru-bolt. Both are listed in the DT catalog but very hard to find in the US. I almost had to settle for a 145mm tandem hub instead.

miles e said:
Cool. How were you able to use a quick release with the 440 rear hub (listed as only available in 150x12 thru axle)?

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
I so want one o those...props to you for placing that order.
Something about a man letting his wallet speak when curious...
Many have the money, few have the vision, less have the balls.

·
more love, less attitude
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It would have been an excellent application for a Rohloff, but...
1) That would have required custom-cut spokes; and
2) Part of my tortured rationalization for this bike was that I had made it through an especially nasty winter without destroying a derailleur or rear hub, thus saving myself the expense of putting a Rohloff on the winter bike.

Soupboy said:
Excellent...but no Rohloff?:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
RustyKnale said:
2) Part of my tortured rationalization for this bike was that I had made it through an especially nasty winter without destroying a derailleur or rear hub, thus saving myself the expense of putting a Rohloff on the winter bike.
And of course, on this bike, your rear derailleur is 18-(OLD WHEELSIZE/2)inches higher than before.

·
Dr Gadget is IN
2,395 Posts
Sweet bike! I like the component pick - especially the hubs. How do you like your wheels? Any noticeable flex in slow/techy or during braking?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.