Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on this narrow, rocky section of singletrack the other day
and out of nowhere came this rattler and it was pissed for some
reason. I've never seen anything like this before.
It was hissing and rattling loudly and advancing toward
me at the same time, forcing me to go back down the trail
the way I came from. I threw some rocks, hitting it with
a couple, it just moved off the trail about a foot or so,
but stayed coiled in the strike position and would not
let me pass by. I finally decided I would be better to
just go back and try a different trail, as it was starting to get
late anyway, rather than risk getting bitten.
The markings seemed a little duller than what you'd
see on a regular diamondback, and it had a black band
right before the rattle.

·
Unrepentant Cowboy SOB
652 Posts
Well I guess the herpetology dudes are saying Mojaves are becoming the dominant rattler species in the desert.

Field expedient method of identifying one is by the bands near the tail - the Mojave has white bands larger in width than the black ones.

Apparently Mojaves can get extremely aggressive when po'd. The tend to be most active in the evening and at night.

Here is a dandy little article on the fun they cause http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic541.htm

Where were you riding?

Old desert Indian lore says if you see a snake you will die within a year if you don't kill it and chop it into 9 pieces.

Snakes, I hate snakes.

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,359 Posts
I encountered one in Vegas, and it would not budge at all. Very different in behavior from other snakes I have encountered that usually just try to escape.

Had a slight greenish tint to it.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Enel said:
I encountered one in Vegas, and it would not budge at all. Very different in behavior from other snakes I have encountered that usually just try to escape.

That snake looks really scary. Looks to be in a half strike. I am glad this topic came up, usually snakes don't scare me much, but one that may give chase?:eek: I will be a bit more alert from now on.

Rita

·
Registered
30 Posts
I believe ther'te isn any good reasons to kill any snake one may come across out in the field. Isn't seeing the local wild life one of the great things about getting out beyond the streets? I understand if you have some kids, or animals and you come across a rattler close to home but otherwise I believe they are too awsome just to kill. I envy those of you who have had the chance to come across such an animal!

·
It's a slugfest!
742 Posts
If I were a betting man, I would have plopped down a big wad of sweaty money that this thread would have generated a lot of activity today. Instead, it never really took off like I thought it would.

Must be too dang hot for people to climb up on their soap boxes today. I was sure that the snake lovers would jump in there and whoop and holler ...you know....how would you like rocks thrown at you....kinda stuff......then the "nuke all the snakes" people would join in and say.....damn that snake for chasing humans.... Yetisurly would then jump in and ask, "Do we value the life of a snake more than human life????" He'd then call all the snake supporters "human haters".....but it doesn't look like this is going to happen today, so I'm going to throw in my own "throw a rock at a snake" story.

Now, this was a long time ago, back when I could throw rocks pretty good..... I am since a changed man, and cannot throw rocks pretty good...

Mckshred and I were out for a summer ride about 12 years ago. Mckshred had just bought a brand new Cannondale full-suspension bike (a pretty big deal back in that day). We rounded a corner and there was a huge rattler in the middle of the trail. (I'm going to say he was aggressive and was threatening me with outlandish behavior to avoid the wrath of the snake supporters here....remember...I'm a changed man).

I stopped well short of the snake, so now, the snake's in between Mckshred and I. I picked up a huge rock and hurled it at the snake, you know....to make it move or scare it.....or crush him into a gazillion pieces....

Only....I missed badly, and the boulder bounced like 5 times, picking up more and more speed before it came to a rest on the frame of Mckshred's brand new Cannondale bike, which to this day sports a dent in it to remind me of the incident. I don't remember much after that, only that the snake would not bite me and put me out of my misery. There was a long, awkward, silence for well....pretty much a month or so. I have never thrown another rock at a snake and cannot look at Mckshred or another Cannondale in the eye...

·
Unrepentant Cowboy SOB
652 Posts
su.ling~ said:
Yes, the Mohaves have a greenish tint usually but I thought they were the less abundant species of rattlesnakes here. Who knows. I've seen some beautiful pink ones around T100 trails.

http://www.biopark.org/Cscutulatus.html
Nature is never static...

Here's another interesting article:

http://www.nhmag.com/features/0700_feature.html

A little bit of the old Red Queen - gotta run faster just to stay in place

As for me I will never find a snake beautiful....I got that primate response to them wired in my DNA. Fascinating creatures yes - I did a research project on the vomeronasal system and strike response with corn snakes a little bit back...

·
sprocket
3,184 Posts
Silver_Slug said:
If I were a betting man, I would have plopped down a big wad of sweaty money that this thread would have generated a lot of activity today. Instead, it never really took off like I thought it would.

Must be too dang hot for people to climb up on their soap boxes today. I was sure that the snake lovers would jump in there and whoop and holler ...you know....how would you like rocks thrown at you....kinda stuff......then the "nuke all the snakes" people would join in and say.....damn that snake for chasing humans.... Yetisurly would then jump in and ask, "Do we value the life of a snake more than human life????" He'd then call all the snake supporters "human haters".....but it doesn't look like this is going to happen today, so I'm going to throw in my own "throw a rock at a snake" story.

Now, this was a long time ago, back when I could throw rocks pretty good..... I am since a changed man, and cannot throw rocks pretty good...

Mckshred and I were out for a summer ride about 12 years ago. Mckshred had just bought a brand new Cannondale full-suspension bike (a pretty big deal back in that day). We rounded a corner and there was a huge rattler in the middle of the trail. (I'm going to say he was aggressive and was threatening me with outlandish behavior to avoid the wrath of the snake supporters here....remember...I'm a changed man).

I stopped well short of the snake, so now, the snake's in between Mckshred and I. I picked up a huge rock and hurled it at the snake, you know....to make it move or scare it.....or crush him into a gazillion pieces....

Only....I missed badly, and the boulder bounced like 5 times, picking up more and more speed before it came to a rest on the frame of Mckshred's brand new Cannondale bike, which to this day sports a dent in it to remind me of the incident. I don't remember much after that, only that the snake would not bite me and put me out of my misery. There was a long, awkward, silence for well....pretty much a month or so. I have never thrown another rock at a snake and cannot look at Mckshred or another Cannondale in the eye...
Yeah, like that story has any truth to it.

·
It rains here. :(
1,314 Posts
Enel said:

Hey this looks alot like the snake I encountered a few weeks back...threw rocks and stuff, he didn't back down. All he did was keep posing and rattling. I had to divert thru the desert with bike amongst a series of thorn trees. I hate snakes.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Which is worse ? A Rattler or the rock thrown at it ?

=======================================================
The description of the 'toss' is more like - <O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

Silver Slug 'lightly tossed' the softball size rock hoping to crush the snake like a pancake. I stood about 20 yards away behind a mesquite bush, positive my shiny new full suspension was a safe distance away from 'Chuck Knaublach Jr.'. <O:p</O:p

I watched 'the toss', as it missed the snake and bounced left, right, left, down around a corner and thru a mesquite bush (no kidding) until I heard 'clink'. Silence from Silver Slug and myself as I approached my pristine new bike.......which turned to tears when I uncovered the dent on the top tube !!!! I think Silver Slug actually feared for his life, since he'd seen my temper at work on the company basketball court already ! He barely had the courage to eek out the words 'oops, sorry, I guess I'll be your friend now'.<O:p</O:p

I had been on cloud nine since I got that bike - being the first in the group to have full suspension while also being the poorest in the group was a double coup. So much for the brotherin that were sporting the Specialized Future Shock - I had FULL SUSPENSION FIRST !!!!<O:p</O:p

Once that rock hit, I might as well have been riding a Huffy in sandals. I had to take 5 years off from riding after this traumatic event.<O:p</O:p

Now I ride an Intense Tracer - that some knucklehead at a bike shop in Sisters, </ST1:p<O:p</O:p

My next bike will have an airbag to protect the frame (hey, it could double as an Oxygen tank for the climb up <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
Oregon</st1:State> didn't know how to ship - The idiot actually packed the wheel against the down tube and viola, dent-arama on the down tube (but that's another story). I even shipped plumber's insulation to cover the tubes, but the idiot still couldn't get it right. Don't go to Eurosports Bike shop in Sisters, Oregon.<ST1
<st1:address w:st="on">Mt. Elden Road</st1:address></st1:Street>)....<O:p</O:p

Stay tuned for pictures of proof coming for YetiSurly and other doubters.<O:p></O:p>

·