Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
underachiever
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, yes, I have dubbed this project my "modern approach to a vintage theme." Go here to see the entire painstakingly boring process.

The thought process for this bike started back in December of 2006. I wanted to have a bike built that would capture the feeling of the early to mid-1990s rigid East Coast singletrack bikes. Bikes I was more than familiar with considering I live in the Boston, Massachusetts metropolitan area. I wasn't looking to replace my trusty Rhygin Ra that has served me so for well over a decade, but rather have another locally made beast to complement my stable. During the initial meeting with Ted Wojcik in February of 2007, we discussed a number of options and what it came down to was this: I wanted a modern equivalent to the Fat Chance Yo Eddy. I had always wanted one, but my Rhygin was just better suited for my riding style and the Yo Eddy had to take a back seat. Well, that is until I finally picked up a fine example last year. :)

After our delightful conversation which included a lot of reminiscing, Ted went to work and a design (CAD) was forwarded. I approved this and work began on my "Yo Teddy." Fast forward 7 months later to the fall of 2007 and I was finally in possession of my dream bike. But the thing was, after a half dozen sojourns to my favorite local haunts, well, it just wasn't the dream I'd imagined. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful bike. Ted's reputation precedes him. The welding and craftsmanship are among the best in the industry. It handled remarkably well, too.

As requested, Ted built the bike up for me with an entire Shimano XTR gruppo, Easton carbon fiber seat post & stem, Specialized carbon fiber handlebars and Mavic Crossmax SL wheels. I took a step back and just wasn't all that enthused about what I was seeing. Maybe it was missing character. It just didn't have the flavor I was after.

In addition, I realized one of the things I really enjoyed was doing the work myself. So, I disassembled the Yo Teddy in early 2008 and sold everything on eBay & Craigslist. My goal from this point on was to get as many parts from independent bicycle fabricators, both past & present. Both locally and nationally.

Also, I wanted to use parts that I just plain liked back in my younger years. There are a few NOS and used vintage goodies included in this build, which is partly why I'm posting it here. In retrospect, I had a blast building this fine example and took a few detours along the way to make things exciting.

Finally, this is it for at least another decade as I went hog wild in 2008 updating my Rhygin, purchasing a 1992 Fat Chance Yo Eddy, having a custom Independent Fabrication Titanium Crown Jewel road bike built and of course, taking two approaches the Yo Teddy. Dropped a fair amount of coin on them, and will now be content in admiring other folks' projects from afar.

Anyway, here are the specifications and some photos (Note: I am NOT the best digital shutterbug. Still haven't quite figured it out.):

Frame: Ted Wojcik
Fork: Chris Igleheart Traditional New England Segmented Fork
Rims: Mavic M231, 28-hole
Hubs: Phil Wood 28-hole, Disc
Quick Release: Cook Bros. Racing
Tires: Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.4 tires
Pedals: Shimano XTR
Crank: Cook Brothers Racing RSR w/Race Face rings
Chain: SRAM
Rear Cogs: Shimano CS-M900, 12-28, 8-speed
Bottom Bracket: Phil Wood Titanium
Front Derailleur: Proshift M.T.S.
Rear Derailleur: Proshift M.T.S.
Shifters: Protwist M.T.S.
Handlebars: Black Sheep Titanium
Grips: Pedros Blackwalls
Stem: Black Sheep Titanium
Headset: Chris King
Brake set: Avid BB-7 Disc
Brake levers: Paul Components Compact Love Levers
Saddle: Sella Italia Flite
Seat Post: Black Sheep Titanium
Paint: Green
Size: Custom
Weight: Don't care
Serial #: 031607 (build date)
Place of Origin: Windham, NH

View attachment 428596

View attachment 428597

View attachment 428598

View attachment 428599

View attachment 428600

View attachment 428601

View attachment 428602

View attachment 428603

View attachment 428604

View attachment 428605

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
Nice looking bike. Very well done. :)

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Now that's "Retro"

Wow Very Cool:thumbsup:

I think we were having a vintage vs. retro discussion at one time......

Now that's "Retro"

·
Registered
103 Posts
what a fantastic bike. Not much clearance in front of the rear tyre though! I hope you don't get mud where you are!

·
Stokeless Asshat
3,360 Posts
Very nice.

Now beat the hell out of it.

Jeff

·
No Gansta Lean here.
1,030 Posts
BEAUTIFUL job.
Compliments to you....and to all involved...(Ted, etc....)

So good..that, although I'm headed toward building/buying a (my first...BTW) modern, up to date, fully....

Makes me want to say in the same breath..."Gosh, I wish I'd drop the dough and do something like THAT first....back to my roots...yet "modern" at the same time. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
228 Posts
That is one of the most beautiful and well thought out bikes I have ever seen, old, new, cheap, expensive, whatever! Killer job putting it all together! I would keep all your doors locked at all times! :D

·
1,529 Posts
I hope my restomod project comes out this nice. Very well done.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts