Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
saddlemeat
3,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dry cattails rustle, pitching shiny spears into patches of water at pond's edge. I notice a small herd of deer hanging out, waiting for the last drink, no doubt dreaming of a time when plenty will come, as do I.

Scattered patches of thin snow covered the trail, making me mind my balance, float delicately till back to dry, no in-between this day. Mid winter air, dry and clear, offers little resistance to sun's probing rays, hot on my shoulders, now shivering in the shade.

For now, I drowse in warm sunshine, sheltered by this clump of oaks, celebrating the soft face of winter. If I had my choice, I would invite the cold and wet, knowing that to suffer now will bring more balm come summer.

I savor a bit, then dance the curves back down, frigid night advancing, grim, jaws clenched. Soon shrinking light melts into gloom, wild dogs wail the dark, Venus parading, icy and bright!

Here's to good times in 2009!

Attachments

·
Registered
982 Posts
Gadzooks! Shades of Robert Penn Warren...

bsieb said:
Dry cattails rustle, pitching shiny spears into patches of water at pond's edge. I notice a small herd of deer hanging out, waiting for the last drink, no doubt dreaming of a time when plenty will come, as do I.

Scattered patches of thin snow covered the trail, making me mind my balance, float delicately till back to dry, no in-between this day. Mid winter air, dry and clear, offers little resistance to sun's probing rays, hot on my shoulders, now shivering in the shade.

For now, I drowse in warm sunshine, sheltered by this clump of oaks, celebrating the soft face of winter. If I had my choice, I would invite the cold and wet, knowing that to suffer now will bring more balm come summer.

I savor a bit, then dance the curves back down, frigid night advancing, grim, jaws clenched. Soon shrinking light melts into gloom, wild dogs wail the dark, Venus parading, icy and bright!

Here's to good times in 2009!
I like your verse; it reminded of a similar piece with the same meter, from Robert Penn Warren:

"I stand in the dark, under my trees, digesting dinner.
I have no particular financial worries, just nags.
If I smoked, I would probably enjoy a cigarette right now.

Fireflies punctuate the expensive blackness of my shrubbery, that pricklimng glow, - here, there, like the phosphorescent moments of memory, when, in darkness, my head dents the dark pillow, eyes wide, ceilingward. Can I really reconstruct my mother's smile?

I stand in the dark, heart even now filling, and think of a boy, who, drunk with the perfume of hedge blossoms and massive moonrise, stood in a long lane and cried out, in a rage of joy, to seize, and squeeze significance from whatever life is - whatever..........

Above, high over my trees, the moon now presides.
The first bat mathematically zizags the stars.
It is time to go in.........."

·
saddlemeat
3,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brian, sounds like fun. I may have gotten too fat already, but at some point that won't matter and I'll have to ride or I'll pop. I've always been fascinated by the pics of White Mesa.

Matt & Paul, come on down, next May that is. Pic below is the McGaffey Bike House, currently the McGaffey Ski House. Way more snow since the pic.

steve47co1, thanks for the RPW comp, very flattering!

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.