Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I read this forum post after converting to a single chainring up-front on my Cannondale Trail SL4 and came up against the same problem of the cable-guide snapping off because it is pressed in with a weak plastic nub, rather than being tapped in:
http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/w...t-cable-guide-sucks-make-your-own-850308.html

The issue that I have is that to follow what this guy has done (ideal), I can't purchase the required thread insert from McMaster-Carr because they won't ship to the UK because of US export regulations.

I have been in contact with UK businesses who supply brass inserts and they don't supply the kind of above insert which is a critical dimension to the 1/4" hole on the BB of the bike. They say it's an extremely low performance design of insert and not something the industry uses. To manufacture an insert to the specifications required, I would need to order a minimum volume of 10,000 units... (no thanks).

I have tried to contact the guy who created the DIY tutorial a couple months back, but his account appears to be dormant.

It's a longer shot, but I'm wondering how possible it would be if anyone from the US could take an order of these brass inserts from McMaster-Carr and send them to me here in the UK at my expense? I was hoping the guy who did the DIY thread could have made me one :(
If only he knew I was trying to contact him!

This has been really frustrating, as it's such a simple and ingenious idea of making a solid cable guide that doesn't snap on the SLs. Unless anybody else has any other ideas? :madman:

Thanks, J!

·
Registered
973 Posts
you might try this too...

according to Grainger's website, this outfit is a "Grainger Authorized Reseller"...and they are located in London. Phone listed on their website is +44 207 793 38 38 :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
image (5).jpg

The reason why the thread insert is a critical dimension is because the hole isn't completely hollow. There's between, or just under 6 or 5mm's in depth before it hits the axle. I believe punching a rivet or any sized insert into the hole wouldn't fit accurately.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Once GDkeys gets the thread inserts out to me (I can't thank him enough for offering to help), I will have to find a way to fabricate a similar, durable plastic-guide as done in the DIY thread - it looks really strong, and I like how he applied a cover to it too. Or, purchase a Cannondale Synapse cable-guide which is threaded (I don't understand why they didn't just do this for the Trail SL models anyway, instead of installing a snappable plastic nub...), but I need to find out the size of the thread against the insert diameter.

1390923315-61408000.jpg

·
Registered
973 Posts
personally, I don't believe I could own a bike that the mgf routed the cables/hoses under the BB...accident just waiting to happen.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts