Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So there I am, cycling my way to work with the kids en tow. There's not a whole ton of nice bikes floating around PdC yet(I'm working on it! give me time!). So it stands out when I see a nice lugged road bike toddle on by. Of course we wave as we approach, but as we pass, as true cyclists, we look at each others bikes. Mine is simple. Not flashy. Unadorned with stickers.

As the other rider passed, I noticed a familiar "B" dot script.

Hold the horses!

I squeeel to a stop(stupid brakes...gotta work on those...) and I shout out. "Hey! is that really a Bontrager?" He looks at me, puzzled, like anyone around these parts should know that name? Yes he says, it is in fact a Bontrager. A lugged ROAD BIKE, all kitted out in late 80's Shimano Ultegra parts.

We circle each other eyeing up the rigs. His is of course the interesting one. He says there's an interesting story behind it too. He got this bike as a form of payment from Keith. Turns out Ells, as he's known, knew Keith back in the Day, and used his student loan to purchase Keith's first batch of tubing.

Kind of a nice introduction to the day, finding a bit of mountain bike history in my little river town. I look forward to riding more with Ells and maybe even prodding his brain for some stories.

Carry on!

edited for holisters better well being.

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hollister said:
what 'cals was is sporting? early paw B dot or later? get a look at the head tube lugs or BB shell?

very cool

roadie:madman:
sorry man. Didn't get close enough today to really peak it out. I'll try to get picshures sometime soon.

·
velocipede technician
8,877 Posts
~martini~ said:
sorry man. Didn't get close enough today to really peak it out. I'll try to get picshures sometime soon.
real early lugged has an "extra" cutout on the head tube, later didn't. internal lugged looks totally different. early frames had a cruder paw on the decals. BB shells vary from frame to frame. interested in what dropouts its got

where do you live again...

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,761 Posts
Ooo, Good Story

I don't even see all that many bikes worthy of a second glance.
The most interesting thing I've seen on my commute this season was a decal-less Commando. The guy riding it was surprised that I knew what it was...and then had a proud grin after talking about it for a bit.

·
VRC Hound
4,275 Posts
Shayne said:
The most interesting thing I've seen on my commute this season was a decal-less Commando. The guy riding it was surprised that I knew what it was...and then had a proud grin after talking about it for a bit.
Yesterday in the park I saw some mom riding a beautiful red De Rosa with first year C Record. I should have offered cash for it.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
Shayne said:
it was early morning and I was driving down hwy1 in Santa Cruz and the car next to me had an old Commando up on the roof rack. It was the tan/brown/white style commando, (not the more common green/black/brown version) but I was trying to ask him (at highway speeds) if he'd sell his bike. I thought maybe he was on his way to the local flea market or something. I tried to mouth my purchase request two or three times up until he thought I was trying to tell him his bike was falling off his rack or something and he started to look concerned. At that point I realized I had to cease in my efforts to procure the cool bike. :)

This one had no decals either, like mine. I think it was common for the early ones to be more stealthy without decals.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts

·
artistic...
7,636 Posts
bushpig said:
Yesterday in the park I saw some mom riding a beautiful red De Rosa with first year C Record. I should have offered cash for it.
was the mom beautifull? ;)
red derosas and c record. it does not get any prettier. square lugged fork?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.