Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
You still waiting on parts for your MKIII... im sure it sucks to have such an awsome frame and not beable to use it yet. Anyhow, Im just curious, why did you decide to go with this fork over the pike it came with? btw, I dont know anything about whitebros forks.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
crgowo said:
You still waiting on parts for your MKIII... im sure it sucks to have such an awsome frame and not beable to use it yet. Anyhow, Im just curious, why did you decide to go with this fork over the pike it came with? btw, I dont know anything about whitebros forks.
Partly due to my own indecision -- it took me a while to choose a fork -- but I haven't been bikeless and am staying busy with work, so it hasn't made me too mental. Plus I'm being a little more picky with the build spec than I have in the past. All in due time...

A small box of parts lands on my doorstep today, the rims a week from now, and the spokes won't be far behind.

I'm beginning to feel like a stuck record answering this question, but I've been really pleased with the White Brothers fork I have on my niner hardtail, I've always thought their customer service has been top notch, and I've become a little fed up with parts and service issues I've had with Rock Shox and Manitou in the recent past.

But the real reason is that I finally got some trail time in on White Bros "newish" low pressure air spring (my other fork uses their old-school high pressure cartridge system) and, well, it rocks!

I've always liked my forks tunable and reliable. The light weight (4 lbs. 5 oz) combined with the legendary WB stiffness + the 20mm TA is perfect for this bike. It's at-home servicable and, judging from past history, should last me nearly forever.

Made in the US, looks cool, Enduro seals, something different, blah blah...

You get the picture ;)

This is my first through axle fork, and I'll admit that since it and the hub (a White Industries CHUB) arrived a week or so ago, I've been a little more anxious to get this project wrapped up.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
once you've riden it for awhile tell us how it is i reall curious about white bros.... i felt one of their dh forks in moab and it was amazingly plush, best fork ive ever felt. if i ever decide to buy something other than fox it'll prob be white bros.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
Total Air didn't work for me in the older RockShox Judy using the 100mm travel. Maybe 80mm TA would have worked for me.

It either bottomed harshly or topped out harshly. I was just too heavy and ride too hard sometimes for the range of TA spring pressures, topout spring, and rebound damping could adjust too. I did try adapting a custom negative/topout spring, but the transition off the negative spring was noticeable.

I imagine the low-pressure new White Bros. design is much more "old school" marzocchi like (is it open-bath?). White Bros forks have always been beautifully machined and finely finished.

I always enjoy reading and learning from your posts Nate!

- ray

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is it true, that every White Bros fork works on grease? I prefer open bath, I'm scared about working quality without oil, especialy in low temperatures. I have tuned Manitou X-Vert ' 01 and it would be nice fork if it had semi bath like new Manitous. :rolleyes:

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ray & maniak,

My understanding is now that White Brothers has switched to Enduro seals, it is possible to convert the fork to an oil bath (semi-bath?) with no special modifications. I need to email White Bros to get details and see if perhaps I need some crush washers or any other miscelleneous parts.

I'll definitely follow up on this in the near future (lemme get the bike put together first). My original intention was to install my own Micro-lube fitting on the lowers.

Ray, the TA carts I used were in a low travel '96 Judy. I think the fork originally had 62mm of travel and the TA carts upped that to 85mm, which in itself was an improvement.

They weren't the plushest thing going, but were a big improvement over the old internals as far as tunability and reliability were concerned. It got a little old having to crack the head off the cartridge to make any damping adjustments, but I was glad to have that ability, and once I got them set I rarely had to touch them. I do recall the "clunky" top-out, though.

Those TA carts are pretty much the same stock internals that are in my old 80mm WB CX-1 (without the top-out "clunk"), and I've been reasonably happy with their performance and extremely pleased with the fork's reliability and servicability. But out on the trail, the new low pressure system blows the old cartridge system out of the water.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.