Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend just taco'd his WTB Speed disc rim (how we're still not sure) going down a seemingly simple gravity cavity that we ride often...and needs a new wheel. Whats the best option: have the LBS relace the WTB hub with a better rim (and which rim would you reccommend?); or pick up a replacement online (what and where from?).....we ride straight cross country in NC, no real drops (1' to 2' TOPS)...he's 6'5 and about 240, so not a small rider...but on a moderate budget (read: will buy what works but doesnt need Chris King hubs laced with titanium spokes to rims of pure gold) Must be disc with 6 bolt for Juicy compatibility....Any help would be much appreciated!!!!

·
Administrator
11,879 Posts
nothing wrong with the WTB hub if not a little boring in the bling department. If it hasn't seen overly wet conditions I don't see why you would buy a new wheel. Order a new rim from the shop and have them build it with quality spokes and brass nipples and you shouldn't have any issues. I am riding the WTB Laserdisc Trail 29er and find it stiff and strong at 200lbs and a nice compromise on strength vs. weight.

Go with DT Swiss Competition spokes and a competent wheel builder and you should have no more problems and it will be better built than a commercially available wheel (excluding custom built ones or big name wheels).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Definitely keep the hub. It's not bling, but it's light.

I agree with rockcrusher on the spokes. Definitely have a good wheel builder do the job. If you don't care about weight, you can save some money getting DT champion spokes.

As far as rims go, I've heard good things about the WTB LaserDisc rim. It seems to be a little tougher than the SpeedDisc. :thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.